The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-29-2012, 06:24 PM   #1
stepside83

whats a good manual trans?????????

I'm building a 1983 Chevy c-10 2WD, stepside, and it had a 3 speed in it with a 250 i-6, i took all that out and am using a 350 horse 350 v-8, and I'm looking for a good 4 speed, or 5 or 6, for that matter, that i don't have to re build the floor to get trans to fit, or anthing like that, and also doesn't have to be but id like to use a hydraulic clutch, but not a must have, any ideas, tips, links, and pics would be awesome the truck will have 3:73, in rear end, and its going to be on air bags, not laying frame, it ll just be as low as i can get it, with out cutting the body, or bed floor, so anything any one could give as far as the trans and a good one to use, thank you in advanced
stepside83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 06:36 PM   #2
Pyrotechnic

Re: whats a good manual trans?????????

I would recommend a Muncie or Super T10 4 speed. For a 5 speed, the Tremec TKO is about the only thing that will handle the power. A T56 6 speed is about as good as it gets, but you will most likely need to mod the floor. Don't let the floor modding scare you though, you can remove a high tunnel from another truck and bolt it in.
Old 01-29-2012, 07:00 PM   #3
ghettoluxury

T56 go big or go home

1949 Five Window, 1973 Step Side, 2000 Z71
ghettoluxury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 07:15 PM   #4
stepside83

ok thanks for the info, if i were to go the t56 route, what car had that in it? what would i need to change in the truck, i.e pedals? what truck had a higher tunel i could find? and doing this would it interfear with my bench? and if i decided on the 4 speed whcih muncie would be good, and who make the super t-10, on kind of a tight budget, so ill have to see waht would be cheaper as well, thanks for the info
Old 01-29-2012, 09:00 PM   #5
Pyrotechnic

The Muncie 4 speed is most commonly found in the M20 and M21 versions, both with different ratios. They were used throughout the 60's and 70's in high performance optioned cars. The Borg Warner Super T-10 was used in cars around the mid 70's to early 80's.

If you are on a tight budget, the options above aren't cheap and a T56 is going to cost even more.

Cheap options:

-Use the Saginaw 3 speed you already have. They are actually a decently strong transmission but most people cast them aside because they want the extra gear. Converted to floor shift, it could be a fun setup. With the 3.73 gears out back I bet it would run pretty good.

-Use a Saginaw 4 speed. This is basically a 3 speed with 4 gears in it, and the downside to that is that the gears are thinner and not as strong. These are cheap to buy because they cant handle as much as the more expensive 4 speeds. It's a gamble whether it would live behind your motor but if you don't get to crazy with side stepping the clutch and power shifting it should live. Some claim to abuse them and they last and some say they've broken tons of them.
Old 01-29-2012, 09:13 PM   #6
Keith Seymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrotechnic View Post
The Muncie 4 speed is most commonly found in the M20 and M21 versions, both with different ratios. They were used throughout the 60's and 70's in high performance optioned cars. The Borg Warner Super T-10 was used in cars around the mid 70's to early 80's.

If you are on a tight budget, the options above aren't cheap and a T56 is going to cost even more.

Cheap options:

-Use the Saginaw 3 speed you already have. They are actually a decently strong transmission but most people cast them aside because they want the extra gear. Converted to floor shift, it could be a fun setup. With the 3.73 gears out back I bet it would run pretty good.

-Use a Saginaw 4 speed. This is basically a 3 speed with 4 gears in it, and the downside to that is that the gears are thinner and not as strong. These are cheap to buy because they cant handle as much as the more expensive 4 speeds. It's a gamble whether it would live behind your motor but if you don't get to crazy with side stepping the clutch and power shifting it should live. Some claim to abuse them and they last and some say they've broken tons of them.
x2 - my thoughts as well.

We've had a couple hot 6 cylinder trucks (maybe 300 hp or so) with the Saginaw 4 speeds, 3:11 low gear, and they were just fine for normal and/or spirited street use.

K
1986 - 2019
Intro from an Old Assembly Guy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
My Pontiac story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
Chevelle intro: http://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
Keith Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 09:52 AM   #7
spudz

I picked up a super T10 complete with shifter and driveshaft for $100 a few weeks ago. I pulled it from a late 70s z28. They are pretty strong. IF you are on a budget, deals are out there. You just have to look and it takes time.
2004 z71, 96 z71 on 38s, 88 Chevy k5 blazer, 4in lift. 84 swb project, 82 SWB project , 84 chevy 4x4 lwb project, 88 Jimmy beater/highschool ride. 79 c30. 99 tahoe 4x4 project. and a bunch of parts trucks..
spudz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 09:47 PM   #8
ringger14

I vote T-56, thats what Im doing for mine. Theres a LT1 T-56 that bolts right up to the 350 block and the LS1 T-56 thats going to require either a adapter plate or a pricey bellhousing ($556) The LT1 requires a special flywheel that you can find on jegs or summit, they are around $350 I believe. Theres a few write ups out there. If you want to know more shoot me a PM and Ill forward you links I have gathered in my research for the swap.
ringger14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 10:09 PM   #9
mongoose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrotechnic View Post

Cheap options:

I had one in my car.. 4 speed saggy.. same one is actually going into my truck... went through 2 motors.. handled everything.. i abused mine.. raced everywhere.. but at the same time i had decent gears... and a shorter tire, and the thing never really did hook up till 3rd.
mongoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 10:18 PM   #10
stepside83

Wow im greatfull for all the info, im using 18 inch wheels, not sure on tire size yet, im definitely looking for a trans that I can have fun with and can handle a race from stop light to stop light from time to time
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-31-2012, 12:18 AM   #11
MalibuSSwagon

You can buy an aftermarket T56 that will bolt up to a standard Chevrolet bellhousing, and has a mechanical speedo output. It is $2200, but that is the way to go if you want a six speed. Most people want 1100 to 1500 for a used T56, and you have no idea if it is in good shape.
MalibuSSwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 01:25 PM   #12
ECU PIRATE

I would go with the Muncie (I am dropping an 68 ' M20 from a GTO in my SWB) unless you can find a super T10 deal like Spudz. I have a 3 spd Saginaw laying around the shop from one of my old 68' Camaros but, opted for the 4th gear
14' VW Passat SE TSI (my personal)
14' Ford Edge Sport (Daily Work Vehicle)
73' SWB Stepside - 77K org. miles
74' LWB 454/TH400 - drive train transplant for my (Sold)
98' SWB C1500 W/T - shop truck (Sold)
90' GMC Sierra SLE short step - aka " Jezabelle " (Sold)
ECU PIRATE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 12:49 PM   #13
burger

If you replace the stock TH350 with a passenger car 4-speed (like a Muncie, Saginaw, B-W, etc), do you need to modify the driveshaft?
burger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 12:01 AM   #14
ringger14

I know that the Muncie and the Th350 are the same overall length and use the same crossmember location. So you should be good as far as driveshaft length.
ringger14 is offline   Reply With Quote