The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-29-2012, 06:40 PM   #1
Chevy Eleven

63 project questions

Hey all-

I have had a 63 (C-20)long bed for a while and have been driving and loving it.

I have a buddy who is moving and has been working on a 64 (C-10) for a while...well he can not take it, so I am the proud owner of a 64 and 63. The frame of the 64 is a short bed and has been rebuilt with 2" drop spindles and 72 control arms and a 4 inch drop in the rear. He has also replace the common rot in the cab.

Here is my situation...We have an emotional attachment to the 63 so we are keeping the cab forward and putting it on the 64 frame. I know the 63 is harder to find parts for, but how much harder? I need door skins, but see that no one seems to re-pop those. I know the 64 is more popular, but that is why I like the 63 I think.

Is the 64 c-20 8-lug frame worth selling? I want to sell of the extra parts to fund getting the 63 a new engine and wired and on the road.

THANKS and I will be around a lot more. You guys are a wealthy of knowledge...
Chevy Eleven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 08:25 PM   #2
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

Re: 63 project questions

Myself, I would take the suspension stuff off the 64 and put on yours (unless you want to stay 3/4 ton). I think your long step is different (I like the looks) and since you like it, use the sale of the 64 stuff to get what you need to redo the 63.

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 09:14 PM   #3
awbrown

Body parts for the 63 are no harder to get than the 64 , door skins etc. fenders cab corners , all the same..,just everything above that is different ,and the inner door panels are differtent, not sure about the roof panel but they do make a repair panel for the 63 above the windsheild ,they dont have one for the 64 up.. http://www.topbananaparts.com/servle...evy-gmc/Detail

Last edited by awbrown; 01-29-2012 at 09:43 PM.
awbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 09:35 PM   #4
rbar

If it was me (short bed lover), I would swap everything of yours to the 64 frame except for the bed. You didn't state if his was a stepside or a fleet, but if they are both stepsides you could even swap front panel, tailgate, and fenders. If it's a fleet, go with the fleet or trade someone that wants the harder to get fleetside. Or as previously said, if you like the long bed, just swap the suspension parts. It sounds like your not going to use the cab he repaired anyway. As for replacement parts, as already said, not much difference unless you planned on buying a compelte dynacorn door, the skins are the same below the window. I have a 63 and a 65 and the only differences I've been concerened with are the doors, and the dash differences are supported other than the gauge cluster is not as a stock design. You can get nice aftermarket (different design) setups for it. I was confused on the selling of the 64 C-20 8 lug frame. If you referring to your frame with his 64 cab and such, it seems to me that you would have a complete truck to sell after your all done swapping around. Alot of people like C-20s just as well as a C-10, so I think you'd have something sellable. Just my .03 cents.
2009 Pontiac G8 GXP 415hp/415tq 6speed
rbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 10:22 PM   #5
padresag

there is one thing to be said with keeping the frame with the orig cab is that it is still a legal truck. If you change one or the other then one actually should register that with your MVB. there are going to be some on here that will pooh pooh this, bbut they don't care what they may pass onto others and never advise them of it. just go into your MVB and ask them what one should do in that instance. they are not going to follow you home and check what you do. also check what the problems could be
ron
padresag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 10:47 PM   #6
rbar

No poohing here. Good advice. My 63 is on a 65 frame and It is titled as a 63. Here in Idaho they haven't cared, but it would be good to keep that straight on what you need to do, especially in a state that might be stickier about it. If it's a concern, you might go with the suspension swap and leave the rest alone.
2009 Pontiac G8 GXP 415hp/415tq 6speed

Last edited by rbar; 01-29-2012 at 10:48 PM. Reason: ..
rbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 01:21 AM   #7
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

All good advice. I have always recommended keeping the frame that is original to the cab if at all possible. Some states/counties don't care much, others do. It would really suck to get a truck all done, and have it confiscated because the cab VIN and frame VIN do not match. Contact your local DMV and see what they say is the correct procedure to follow, before you get started. All of the C10 parts will swap over to the C20 frame. You would have to swap the entire front suspension crossmember though. Then of course, if you are wanting a short wheelbase truck, the frame will need to be shortened.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 07:29 AM   #8
Chevy Eleven

Thanks a ton guys. All good point and I never thought of the possible trouble with swapping the frame. I will dig into that first. Thanks again
Chevy Eleven is offline   Reply With Quote