The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-31-2012, 09:44 PM   #1
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

Trailer hub/wheels ???

I'm considering building a small trailer to tow behind the panel.I'm wanting to run Rallies on it to match the panel.The trailer will probably fall under 1800 maybe as low as 1500 loaded so I know it will be way over tired.I just want to be able to carry a single spare.
So does anyone know if the standard 6 on 5 1/2 trailer hub will work with a factory 6 lug wheel from a Chevy?
If not does anyone know if I can run 6 lug Chevy hubs on a 2000-3000 # trailer axle and if so,what bearings make it fit?
Thanks for any guidance.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 08:11 AM   #2
special-K
Special Order

Re: Trailer hub/wheels ???

I can say I have seen 6-lug rallyes used on trailers before. There are different axle companies,but it may be standardized. Dexter is the company I'm most familiar with. The lighter trailers (store bought) are 5-lug and mine is 5 on 5. It's a 5 x10 and is 3500#. I've been looking for 88-98 styles steel wheels for it since I mostly pull it with my '92 K3500 with styled steel wheels.
I think the rallyes will work with about any trailer axle hub. I'd ask at a trailer sales place to be sure.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 02-02-2012 at 08:39 AM.
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 08:34 AM   #3
oklalawnboy

I have a W&W 16 ft enclosed trailer with 6 hole axles and they are 6 lug chevy pattern. Hope this helps. The only trouble I had was with backspacing. Trailer rims typically do not have much backspacing.
76 Monte Carlo
83 Chevy short wide Silverado
96 Mazda Miata, 2000 Allegro Bus
oklalawnboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 11:07 AM   #4
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

I'm still in the design/thinking stage so I can adjust the width of the axle to work with the BS on the wheels.I may have to go to a larger axle than I really need to be able to use the wheels but I would rather overbuild than under.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 12:00 PM   #5
special-K
Special Order

I agree. Won't be no cambered in wheels on your trailer,right? I believe,when it comes to hauling,that over built is best. I like to be able to throw "however" much of "whatever" in and forget about it. That's why my 5 x 10 is 3,500#. That's what a big car weighs and it ain't no car trailer. I just saw a guy hauling a trailer the other day,just a little 8 footer but with some little wheels like 13" or less. It had shingles torn off a roof in it only piled about a foot and a half high. That poor little trailer was hurtin'! Tires all tilted in...and the fool even had plywood side as if he could pile anything up that high (maybe brush). Not me. I want to load it up and forget about it. No white knuckles for this ole boy.
Anyway,I believe your concern is the hub diameter for the wheel center. You should be ok since the Chevy wheels are for 4wds AND,afterall,it's Chevy's bolt pattern!

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 12:20 PM   #6
KrazyRay

I have run across many trailers with 6 lug wheels. I have never had a problem with a chevy wheel fitting on any of them. I have enen used little 14" Datsun wheels with no problems.
KrazyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 11:14 PM   #7
oklalawnboy

I forgot to mention the axles on my trailer are Dexter tor-flex 5000 lb. (Chevy 6 bolt)
76 Monte Carlo
83 Chevy short wide Silverado
96 Mazda Miata, 2000 Allegro Bus
oklalawnboy is offline   Reply With Quote