The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-02-2012, 02:41 AM   #1
Jeff56

Front suspension

What do you guys recommend I have a 56 Chevy pickup with a dropped stok axle in it. What's a better choice keep in mind money is tight. Go with a plymouth volarie front clip, or a Camaro front clip, mustang ii, or leave the stock in it and add power steering and a column and call it good. What do you guys recommend. Thanks or the help.
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
Jeff56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 06:34 AM   #2
Red Foreman

Re: Front suspension

I'm doing a Camaro clip on mine, not for the faint hearted but with hopefully worth it!
Red Foreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 10:04 AM   #3
Nordic

I kept the straight axle and added power steering and disc brakes
Nordic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 10:23 AM   #4
mknittle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Foreman View Post
I'm doing a Camaro clip on mine, not for the faint hearted but with hopefully worth it!
You will like it. My sister's 53 is clipped and rides real nice.

My GMC build.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=536602
mknittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 10:31 AM   #5
mr48chev

Well, I'd have to ask what is wrong with what you have now. Worn out, too hard to steer, too rough riding or you just think you need and upgrade?

I've done a couple of subframe swaps and put a lot of miles on them but you run into the issues of getting the front end sheet metal, core support and bumper hooked up and looking right. Plus the inner fenders need a lot of trimming. You do get a low truck that drives great though.

Personally I'd look into a Jag suspension swap for that truck if I decided that I wanted to put independent suspension on it. You don't have to cut off the frame and it comes as a complete unit that should probably cost about the same as a Camaro/Trans Am unit in your area. There are a couple of the swaps on here that guys have done or are in the middle of doing and they are pretty interesting.

This is a link to a thread that OldSub started before we lost him to the big C. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=414496 In it he shows some photos of an AD truck with a Jag Suspension under it that will give you and idea of how it would work under the 56. On the 56 with the frame being wider the rails would sit out just about over factory Jag mounting bushings that would probably have to be cut off to get things lined up a bit better.

Here is one over on the HAMB that was done on a F100 where he trimmed the excess off the Jag crossmember. http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...xj6+suspension Again a guy has to visualize a bit to figure out how he would do it on his own rig.

Last edited by mr48chev; 02-02-2012 at 10:56 AM.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 04:28 PM   #6
Coupeguy2001

There is a guy on Phoenix AZ craiglist with a jag rear complete with crossmember for $300
Coupeguy2001 is offline   Reply With Quote