The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-02-2012, 10:57 AM   #1
prostreetC-10
My Carbon Footprint

Considering selling the Prostreet C-10 but needs some marketing thoughts.

Okay.....first want to start out by saying that I don't want a "don't do it!!!! You'll regret it!!!!" thread. Now that we have liquidated our horse venture, we are more than likely going to move back into town and probably into a neighborhood. I want my 4 year old to be able to play with kids and at the park. We have zero kids on our dead end 1/2 mile road. I'm thinking I'm going to really need to thin the herd. My issue is that I'm torn between my truck and my 67 fastback mustang. I don't want a debate or arguement but the bottom line is my fastback will be worth way more as it sits than my truck. My town is FULL of every kind of Camaro you can imagine but you almost see zero 67 fastbacks.

Sure Barrett Jackson just got over but I'm still realistic as to what my truck is probably worth and also realize that it would take a special person to fall in love with it like I have. The truck flat runs awesome and is super dependable. With that said, I can tell you that it's BARK is WAY MORE than its BITE. It definately has the "shop truck rat rod" kind of theme. Also what I call the "unfinished/prpoject" theme though it's been like this for a few years. It's just a cruiser. Below is it's specs.

Very low rust '68 swb
460 BBC with closed 702 oval heads
280H comp FT cam, tunnel ram and dual Holleys
Rebuilt '69 Muncie M-22 4 speed and 12 bolt Eaton posi with 3.73s
15x8 and 15x14 corvette ralleys with 29x18.5 sportsman tires.

Here is my biggest issue: That M-22 is fresh and probably worth $1,500-$2,000. Problem is I don't think it adds 2K to the value of the truck. My thought would be to either swap the car over to auto or swap for a T-10 or super T-10. It's so hard to find these in good shape that I would love to hang on to it for something else down the road. Heck.....I'd love to put a SBC and the M-22 in the mustang just to piss ferd people off.

DO NOT worry about hurting my feelings. I'm curious what you think a SOLID value of the truck is worth and what about swapping the M-22 to auto or Borg? Thanks!

UPDATE: Had a good point brought up below. What about taking off the tunnel ram and going back to single carb setup? Wondering how much this would widen my market? Super easy swap and I could get some CASH for that tunnel rame setup. It is cherry. Changing back to a closed hood would open up for more year round driving. I don't think the big back tires narrow the market as much as the motor out da hood.
Attached Images

Last edited by prostreetC-10; 02-02-2012 at 01:42 PM.
prostreetC-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 11:33 AM   #2
grancuda

Re: Considering selling the Prostreet C-10 but needs some marketing thoughts.

What's the Mustang look like?
I'd say $10-12k w/o M-22, most won't see the added value in the M-22
If the Mustang is a done car I would pick the truck because you don't have to worry about it as much.

Last edited by grancuda; 02-02-2012 at 11:40 AM.
grancuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 11:42 AM   #3
prostreetC-10
My Carbon Footprint

The mustang is not a done car but it doesn run, drives and stops. They made about 350,000 couples in 67 but only made 17,000 fastbacks with the "luxury" interior that I call deluxe interior. It has the original tags still on the motor, trans and rear axle. Only thing that sucks is it's a C code so not much power......yet! ;o)

Keep in mind that this is an issue of space and not money.....also keeping in mind though that current and future value does play a part. I will have JUST as big of a smile driving either one so it's not a big emotional decision.
Attached Images

Old 02-02-2012, 11:44 AM   #4
special-K
Special Order

I think as the truck sits,with the unfinished project truck vibe,that the M-22 does ad a full $2k value to the truck. Just another automatic does nothing and you have to factor in the cost of buying the other 4spd & shifter as well as your time. I know,time is nothing if you're a true automotive enthusiast...it's what we do. But I say let it all go if you're letting go at all. It's got cool factor now that,arguably,the M-22 is at the heart of. Take your $2k after selling the truck to buy another M-22. They aren't hard to find if you're willing to pay that price. I know I would want that truck to be just as it is. I wish I could buy it.

BTW,I'm using a '65 GTO M-22 in my little old '67 truck project. Some may think it's a waste,but that's what I want to do. I got it with new clutch for cheap and traced the numbers later. Now I'm thinking 389 tri-power!!!

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 11:52 AM   #5
tubbedII
needs more $$$

I think 7-8K for it, and I also think you're right that the M22 doesn't add value (probably non at all honestly) to the truck. I'd pull it and toss in something else and sell the M22 for an added bump. I know that doesn't sound like a lot, but I think you're going to have find that special someone looking for a pro-streeted truck in this style...no matter how cool I think it is, I'm iffy on it's re-sale value.

This is just based on what I've been seeing on CL lately (I look every day pretty much). The trucks for sale that are in the 12K range are fully redone almost frame offs (in the central Cali area at least). There's one for sale in Reno right now with turbo LQ9, shaved body and nice paint for less than 10K, and Reno rigs are usually high priced.
Old 02-02-2012, 11:54 AM   #6
prostreetC-10
My Carbon Footprint

I have done absolutely everything to it so I'm into the truck fairly cheap. I paid $2,500 or it about 5 years ago as a bone stock 250 inline with a granny 4 speed.

I'm not poor and I'm not rich. Ending the Horse BS as freed up some cash. I'm just at a point where I'd rather have one NICE rig instead of 2 drivers. I am not a ford guy at all but I do believe I own the one worth owning........meaning 65-70 fastback. There is not really any other model of ford I'd be the least bit interested in owning unless you get into the '32 or around there era.
Old 02-02-2012, 11:57 AM   #7
VA72C10
VA72C10

First, I LOVE your truck!

Second... "don't do it!!!! You'll regret it!!!!"

I'd probably try asking for the price you want WITH the trans first. As you said, you're going to have to find a guy who wants a truck just like that. Pro-street with patina is a small niche. And the guy who sees your vision would likely like a manual and appreciate the M22. If you swap to auto, you WILL open up the market since lots of people like an auto for a "cruiser" pickup and more and more people have never even had a manual transmission....

I think 10-12 would be finding that "right person"

Judging from craigslist, ebay, and sales here....it's likely a 6-8K truck right in the overall market now mainly because of the current economy...too many deals out there...I've seen trucks that have easily 25K in parts in them selling for 10-12K on ebay and craigslist.
Old 02-02-2012, 12:04 PM   #8
prostreetC-10
My Carbon Footprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubbedII View Post
I think 7-8K for it, and I also think you're right that the M22 doesn't add value (probably non at all honestly) to the truck. I'd pull it and toss in something else and sell the M22 for an added bump. I know that doesn't sound like a lot, but I think you're going to have find that special someone looking for a pro-streeted truck in this style...no matter how cool I think it is, I'm iffy on it's re-sale value.

Actually.......you and I are just about dead on in every way!!! It's guys with trucks like mine that think they have something special that want to ask a ton for it because it's unique. In reality, what I have is something that would be a challlenge to get rid of for decent money because I'd have to find that "just right" person. Part of the sale would have to involve rolling down town so that person could see the THUMBS UP and all the heads that turn.

OH yeah......it's has a Pete Jackson noisey gear drive that DOESN'T sound like an alt or PS pump going out. 90%+ of all people think it is blown. lol I never lift the hood or say a word. If asked, I say it's a T ram.

Special K: I go back and forth on the M-22. Swapping to a borg would be both cheap and easy. You can get them out here in the $300-$500 range all day long. I wouldn't swap to sell though because then people have to go on your word that it works.....we all know about the "ran when pulled" BS. I would only go through the effort to keep for something down the road or to throw in the Camaro.
Old 02-02-2012, 12:12 PM   #9
prostreetC-10
My Carbon Footprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA72C10 View Post
First, I LOVE your truck!

Second... "don't do it!!!! You'll regret it!!!!"

I'd probably try asking for the price you want WITH the trans first. As you said, you're going to have to find a guy who wants a truck just like that. Pro-street with patina is a small niche. And the guy who sees your vision would likely like a manual and appreciate the M22. If you swap to auto, you WILL open up the market since lots of people like an auto for a "cruiser" pickup and more and more people have never even had a manual transmission....

I think 10-12 would be finding that "right person"

Judging from craigslist, ebay, and sales here....it's likely a 6-8K truck right in the overall market now mainly because of the current economy...too many deals out there...I've seen trucks that have easily 25K in parts in them selling for 10-12K on ebay and craigslist.

I agree......I agree......and I agree! It sucks though because the nicer neighborhoods have the CC&Rs that will not allow for any crap parked in the roads or along side the houses. I also don't want to look like Sanford and Son just came to town.

I did find a place that has 8x8x40 fully enclosed storage units that rent for $125 a month. I could get BOTH rigs in there but now you are looking at $1,500 a year in storage. In 5 years that the value of the truck!!!! Ah....it makes my head spin.
Old 02-02-2012, 12:33 PM   #10
sir_talk_alot

do it do it!-not encouraging the truck sale-encouraging the sbc/muncie in the stang, i love pissing off fords. let me say this, around here, if your lucky enough to even find someone with even the m21, its not forsale. ask me how i know, ive found 4 in my 2 year search, one m20, 2 m21s and a m22 and they listed them forsale, and then they hee haw on price and you end up walking away empty handed. hang on to it, and put a built t400 with a shift kit.

'94 GMT 400 ext z71 3" body, 3 in rough country, hd mirrors, 20" motometals on 35s
sir_talk_alot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 12:37 PM   #11
hjewell2

I would say the value is based on if you sell it to me or not.
hjewell2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 12:42 PM   #12
big_al_71

I am thinking it is worth 7k-9k somewhere in that area....

Sylvester's build thread >>>http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ht=big+rebuild
big_al_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 12:54 PM   #13
prostreetC-10
My Carbon Footprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA72C10 View Post
I've seen trucks that have easily 25K in parts in them selling for 10-12K on ebay and craigslist.
Going back over your "post of reason", this is the biggest thing that tugs at me. Where to throw the money. If I put $25K into the Mustang, I ceratinly would not have a $10K-$12K car! I could get an easy $8K-$10K as it sits or more. People are buying just the tubs of a '67 fastback on eBay in the $3K-$5k range. Craziest thing I've ever seen and this car is scary rust free. I am the 5th owner and it has 73,000 original miles!!!
Old 02-02-2012, 12:54 PM   #14
67chevemall

Sell the ugly ford and keep the truck are you kidding me...

Give your head a shake,,,as Gram's would say.
67chevemall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 01:06 PM   #15
LEX

A patina prostreet c10. Good gawd thats badass.
LEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 01:23 PM   #16
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

Sell the mustang.
I wouldn't care if there was 100 67-72 trucks in your town an zero mustangs.

Sell the Ford.
Seems like the best way to make some money.
That's my opinion.
I'm a truck guy.

Convert to disc brakes.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823
lolife99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 01:29 PM   #17
OARNGESI

Realisticly id think your truck will bring between 6500-8500 just my opinion. You built it for a small group of people if the hood wasnt cut the range would have been better. For what its worth the mustang is the better keeper
OARNGESI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 01:33 PM   #18
grancuda

I just bought a ’72 and was in the market for 2 months, looked at lots of trucks, more junk than not. I stand by my $10-12k. If you don’t need the money right away, I think you can get the close to 12k out of it.

Here is a solid patina type truck with way less motor and it didn’t meet reserve with bids up to 10.1k
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1972-...item20c17585cb
Old 02-02-2012, 01:34 PM   #19
grancuda

The mustang will make a good ride, no doubt but the C10 is really cool. For me it would be a toss up.
Old 02-02-2012, 01:37 PM   #20
prostreetC-10
My Carbon Footprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by OARNGESI View Post
You built it for a small group of people
Naw.......I built it for me!!!!! I totally know what you mean though.

You just threw a monkey wrench into the equation though. It would be SUPER easy to swap the tunning ram for a single carb setup. I don't think the big tires narrow the market as much as the tunnel ram. Kinda makes it hard to drive in the rain. I think I'm going to change the orignal post to throw this out there. Thanks!
Old 02-02-2012, 02:24 PM   #21
Redleg

Would be a hard decision, but to me the mustang would have to go.

I think it honestly depends on the market if you should keep or leave the M-22 in the truck. A lot of guys in here would spend the extra 1-2K because of that...A guy off the street unfamiliar might not care and pass the deal by because of the extra money your asking...

Right after i got married i asked my wife, what kind of classic car would you want. Her response was a Dodge Viper OR a 60's model mustang fastback. Red...... (took a bit to explain to her a Dodge Viper wasnt what i called a classic car)

Fast forward 7 years. I ask her the same question. Her response, First i want a 62ish Chevy Apache, THEN if we can afford it I want a Chevelle.....

I'm not trying to make a point i guess. I just love your truck.... And have come to love these trucks more than any classic car...To include the camaros and chevelles.....

I think your thinking LOGICALLY about this, and your right, when the mustang is done it will be worth 2 or 3 times what your prostreet is.... However, you did say money wasnt the issue. So just do what your gut tells you is the right thing!

I applaud your moving for the kid. Was born and raised on a farm with the closest neighbor being over a mile away....Wasnt for my brother and sports i would have gone crazIER!
Some trucks in the air, some layin' frame.
some are super cool, and some kinda lame.
Some kinda slow, and some really fast.
some run on 110,and some on pump gas!
Redleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 04:04 PM   #22
PHAT TONY

I think I'd pitch motor and trans for sbc/auto and sell the bbc, might even make a little more cash.
1970 Chevrolet C/10-Sold
1968 GMC 4X4-Project
1968 Chevrolet C/10 Pro Street
1970 GMC 3/4 Ton-Parts
1997 2WD 2DR Yukon-Sweet
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=335664
PHAT TONY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 04:07 PM   #23
turp mcspray

Wink Re: Considering selling the Prostreet C-10 but needs some marketing thoughts.

The vehicle market is still pretty soft. It seems like if you want $5000 out of something, you need to have at least $15,000 into it. Look how bad people get flamed for wanting $20,000 for a truck that is fully restored. I say save yourself some grief, and throw the "for sale" signs away.
Remember "I'm pullin' for ya, we're all in this together"
My Blazer build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342299
turp mcspray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 04:09 PM   #24
67chevemall

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHAT TONY View Post
I think I'd pitch motor and trans for sbc/auto and sell the bbc, might even make a little more cash.
Motor ya but not the tranny, thats a lifer
67chevemall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 04:49 PM   #25
pumpkin

I say put the truck up for $25000, and put the mustang up for $8000. Keep the one that sells last.
pumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote