The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-04-2012, 11:27 PM   #1
Rudoo

Tires and wheels for a 49

Ok, I hope this isn't a dumb question and everyone doen't laugh at me for asking but, here goes..... I am getting a 49 truck. It is still on original frame. I won't be able to put on an S10 for awhile, so can I put a wider tire on the truck with this frame or is it not possible?

Here's what it looks like now.
Rudoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 12:30 AM   #2
parkwood

Re: Tires and wheels for a 49

If i were you i would try and keep the stock frame unless it's bent or rusted... but to answer your question you can get at least an 8" rim under the rear but you have a 6 lug bolt patten now so i don't if you can find a cool looking rim..
parkwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 12:28 PM   #3
Rudoo

I saw these and I think this is original frame. Do you think? Looks like it is 6 lug. I will have to see if I can find more info
Old 02-05-2012, 01:31 PM   #4
parkwood

Yes i would say that's a stock frame.. and i was wrong about getting some nice rims in 6 lugs... My friend owns Wheel Smith and he can make just about any rim...
parkwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 02:19 PM   #5
mr48chev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudoo View Post
I saw these and I think this is original frame. Do you think? Looks like it is 6 lug. I will have to see if I can find more info
It doesn't matter what those wheels are on they always scream "I settled for the cheap ones" when I see them on a vehicle. Around here they are what the tire stores sell guys who don't have enough credit or cash to buy the nicer wheels.

If you don't want to spend much get a set of later model 15 inch steelies paint them nice and put some small hubcaps on them.

You can still find six lug rally wheels pretty reasonable and they look good on just about every GM truck no matter what the year.

The scrap prices have taken a severe tole on the availability of used aluminum wheels around here but they still can be found. Sometimes a tire store has a take off set or repo set in the back room that they will cut a deal on and there is always the finding them at a yard sale thing.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 02:34 PM   #6
mr48chev

Quote:
It doesn't matter what those wheels are on they always scream "I settled for the cheap ones" when I see them on a vehicle. Around here they are what the tire stores sell guys who don't have enough credit or cash to buy the nicer wheels.

If you don't want to spend much get a set of later model 15 inch steelies paint them nice and put some small hubcaps on them.

You can still find six lug rally wheels pretty reasonable and they look good on just about every GM truck no matter what the year.

The scrap prices have taken a severe tole on the availability of used aluminum wheels around here but they still can be found. Sometimes a tire store has a take off set or repo set in the back room that they will cut a deal on and there is always the finding them at a yard sale thing.

I'm another one who doesn't arbitrarily advocate pulling the stock frame and Sticking and S10 frame under the truck just because the other guys are doing it. If the stock frame is in good shape, not bent and hasn't been hacked on for off the wall engine swaps I'd say keep it and put an independent front end under it and an open drive rear end under the back.
Check the threads where the guys on here have put Jag front ends under the AD trucks. Not any more expensive than an S10 swap with the current going price of dead S10 pickups and a lot simpler.
Old 02-05-2012, 03:13 PM   #7
63 & 64 Bowties
and a few others

Around here there are always tons of 6-lug wheels on Craigslist.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think all 6-lug wheels are the same bolt pattern. You'll just have to check the backspacing. I doubt stock Toyota wheels would work because they have a massive backspace. Even if they did fit, they wouldn't look right.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” Gandhi
63 & 64 Bowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 04:36 PM   #8
mr48chev

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63 & 64 Bowties View Post
Around here there are always tons of 6-lug wheels on Craigslist.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think all 6-lug wheels are the same bolt pattern. You'll just have to check the backspacing. I doubt stock Toyota wheels would work because they have a massive backspace. Even if they did fit, they wouldn't look right.
There should be plenty of 15 inch Alloy slotted wheels floating around that were bought for Toyotas though.
Old 02-05-2012, 10:18 PM   #9
Rudoo

Ouch! mr48chevy! "It doesn't matter what those wheels are on they always scream "I settled for the cheap ones" when I see them on a vehicle. Around here they are what the tire stores sell guys who don't have enough credit or cash to buy the nicer wheels"
I kinda liked those wheels. But, then again as you can tell :-), I don't know much.
Old 02-05-2012, 10:23 PM   #10
Rudoo

"I'm another one who doesn't arbitrarily advocate pulling the stock frame and Sticking and S10 frame under the truck just because the other guys are doing it. If the stock frame is in good shape, not bent and hasn't been hacked on for off the wall engine swaps I'd say keep it and put an independent front end under it and an open drive rear end under the back.
Check the threads where the guys on here have put Jag front ends under the AD trucks. Not any more expensive than an S10 swap with the current going price of dead S10 pickups and a lot simpler. "

So, mr48chevy, this being said- what I want is to lower my truck some, I just like the look (not totally on the ground), and just have better handeling, brakes , etc. I was told by someone to swap to an s10 frame to get this. So, I don't have to do that?

Last edited by Rudoo; 02-05-2012 at 10:38 PM.
Old 02-05-2012, 10:41 PM   #11
Rudoo

You know, I was just looking at my tires on my truck. They look like tractor tires! :-)
Old 02-06-2012, 12:38 AM   #12
Rudoo

what about these. are they affordable? or just cheap
Old 02-06-2012, 01:20 PM   #13
solidaxel

I still have a set of those from my stock 78 silverado but they are 5 lug, very good wheels and a nice upgrade!
53 TuTone Extended Cab 350 4-Spd 3:08 (SOLD)
53 Chevy Moldy pearl green ZZ-4 4L60E 9" 3:25
55 GMC 1st Black Mll (ZZ4) ZZ6 TKO 600 5 sp 3:73
62 Solidaxle Corvette Roman Red (327
340hp 4spd 3:36) C4 & C5 suspension tube chassis
LS 3 4L70E
65 Corvette Coupe 327 350hp 4spd 4:11
78 Black Silverado SWB (350/350) 5.3 & 4L60E 3:42
2000 S-Type 3.0 (wife cruiser)
2003 GMC SCSB 5.3 4L60E 3:42
solidaxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 09:33 PM   #14
dirt53

Quote:
Ok, I hope this isn't a dumb question and everyone doen't laugh at me for asking but, here goes..... I am getting a 49 truck. It is still on original frame. I won't be able to put on an S10 for awhile, so can I put a wider tire on the truck with this frame or is it not possible?

Here's what it looks like now.
Mine is a 53 and when i got it had toyota truck wheels on it , so as far as i can guess toyota 6 bolt and spacers is 1 way to go .
dirt53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 12:33 AM   #15
Root2812

Quote:
what about these. are they affordable? or just cheap
Hey Rudoo,

I have these same wheels (different center caps) on my truck at the moment and my suspension is still completely stock so you can see how low it sits without the tall "tractor" tires on it. An IFS and some drop spindles could get you even closer to the ground with out having to do a whole frame swap. That is what I have been thinking about doing.

Root2812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 07:41 AM   #16
Rudoo

Thanks! Now I'm off to find out what an IFS is. :-)
Love your patina by the way!
Old 02-10-2012, 05:54 PM   #17
63 & 64 Bowties
and a few others

Quote:
Check the threads where the guys on here have put Jag front ends under the AD trucks.
Has anyone here actually finished one?
Last time I checked, back before OldSub died, there were several starting them or considering it, but I don't remember anyone actually completing it.
I've seen a couple cars with Jag IFS on the Hamb.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” Gandhi
Old 02-25-2012, 10:45 AM   #18
63 & 64 Bowties
and a few others

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63 & 64 Bowties View Post
Has anyone here actually finished one?
Last time I checked, back before OldSub died, there were several starting them or considering it, but I don't remember anyone actually completing it.
I've seen a couple cars with Jag IFS on the Hamb.
No finished Jags?
I was hoping someone would chime in; "sure, here's a couple here"
I just haven't seen one.