The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-05-2012, 04:54 PM   #1
GmtGmt
Conversion Truck Addicted

Dumbest mistake ever.

well i though this was something I would not do but it has happend.
I parked the crew cab out side for the last few weeks because we are rebuilding the shop.

when we moved shop back in august, we just filled it with water because the upper cooling hose was bad and i cut it and put a metal tube in so it had some cooling when driving the 4 miles to it new home.
all good, now we comletely forgot about it, and last week it had been freezing -18C.

we all know what happens to water bellow zero degrese

the rad and hoses are frosen but can be depresed some.

Im thinking removing the Rad cap so the water can escape when it warms up in the weather. Im running without thermostat because i got the wrong one.

If the 6.2 aint making it, it will get a 454.

Quote:
Tonight mine pulled a few cars out of snowbanks, and is sitting in my driveway, icicles on the grille, wheels just white cakes of snow, buried up to the lug nuts in powder, straps and chains wrapped around the bumpers, the outline of the wipers clear in 4 inches of snow on the windshield... A tired warrior of the 1980s in a world of low profile tires, front wheel drive, and plastic bumpers, where people stay in their houses until snowplows move the offending substance from their paths, too helpless to travel without AAA and chains and salt, clearing their windows with longhandled brushes while gently stepping around in the snow trying to stay nice and dry.
GmtGmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 05:22 PM   #2
jimboh247

Re: Dumbest mistake ever.

Not possibly the dumbest mistake.
Try putting a PF25 filter on a engine that takes a PF24 and spilling 4 of the 5 quarts of oil on the garage floor!
Old 02-05-2012, 05:23 PM   #3
Gyawo

It wasn't 100% water? If there was still some antifreeze in the system it should be alright if it didn't freeze up enough the crack the block. Shouldn't have to worry about taking the cap off or anything for the water to thaw, if it builds up enough pressure from it melting(which it probably won't) it would just be released into the reservoir, or the drain hose.
Gyawo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 10:21 AM   #4
chrismoore701

dumbest mistake ever, my buddys dad filled his 50 gal diesel dually with gas, now lost the money paid for gas, the cost to have it pumped and the money for the gas. thank god he realized before he left the parking lot. He hauls campers across the US. on top of this mistake, he forgot to clamp a 5th wheel trailer down. smashed his 50 gal fuel tank, thinit 50 gal, but it is big, and smashed his tailgate. he doesn't haul any more
2018 Chevy Silverado, 39 years apart
My build 2008-2016. http://m.imgur.com/a/bURrE
chrismoore701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 01:08 PM   #5
Junqueboi

You're not alone. My beat-up '82 C10 (250 L6) had a coolant leak & I topped it off with water. It got dipped down into the 20's a month or so ago & I now have a steady stream of water coming from the flywheel area...looks like a rusty core plug gave way.

A couple years ago I let a V6 Fiero freeze but its damage was a water pump: the ice somehow forced the pump shaft seal out.