The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Tools, Shops and Shop Safety

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-05-2012, 10:36 PM   #1
geoff.clark
SheetMetalNoob

Compressor Help

I am trying to identify why the pressure release valve keeps dumping around 140 psi. I bought a new eaton compressor last year. I never had an opportunity to run it until this past month due to lack of money to finish wiring. So I ran into my first issue where the pressure switch had a broken on/off switch. I replaced this and now running into my current issue.

The prv dumps around 140, this is a 150 psi prv. I have spoken with eaton and they are telling me the check valve needs to be cleaned. I dont have a major issue with this other than it is brand new and why would it be clogged / dirty. I understood the check valve as a one way valve and would only dump back to the unloader valve when the pressure switch stops the motor.

Can anyone help explain why / how the check valve would cause the prv to dump before the max psi of the valve?

Thanks so much

83 Chevy Custom Deluxe I6 250 lwb (aka) Trash Runner
geoff.clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 12:34 AM   #2
RanchFlyer

Re: Compressor Help

I would be glad to help but need a little more info. You state the pressure relief or safety valve is 150psi but blowing off at 140psi . Where in the machine is the safety valve in question and why are you so close to the limit in the first place? My experience is to size a safety at 125% of the expected load but not to exceed any legal vessel or component pressure ratings.
RanchFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 02:02 PM   #3
geoff.clark
SheetMetalNoob

This is the compressor I purchased. http://www.eatoncompressor.com/catal...47/6474775.htm

It says it has a Max PSI of 145. The pressure switch was set to kick off at 145 PSI per factory. So my assumption was it was a 150 Pressure Release Valve. I agree it is very close to max if it is 150. But then next step up is 200 PRV to my understanding. So should I just dial this down to 130? I just want to make sure I do the right thing here and stay safe.

Thank you

Old 02-06-2012, 04:28 PM   #4
RanchFlyer

I will start with the question from the first post. Not all safety valves are created equal. They all should have a rating stamped on them or a tag attached. A $2.00 valve is slammed together with a preset spring and probably has a +- %10. That being said I am not surprised to see a 150psi re-leaving at 140psi. A $35 valve in the same size will be assembled, tested, then shimmed to a +-%2. Now eaton compressor wanted to deliver on value accepts less quality on valves. That is not big news and certainly not a slap on eaton compressor, as it is accepted practice in the world in which we live. Second question where to go from here? Being as that is a single stage compressor I would back down my shut off pressure to 130PSI. More than that is asking alot from a single stage machine I don't care what brand it is. On a side note I like some of the features that eaton is taunting; slow speed, ring valves, magnetic starter, cast iron pump. A well bought compressor is a lifetime purchase for all but extreme cases.
RanchFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 04:29 PM   #5
truckdude239

my shop compressors are set to shut off at 175psi and the blow off vavles open at 200 psi

1971 Chevy c-10 under going a 4.8l LSx swap

Build Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=421305

2007 Honda Accord my daily 145kmiles
2002 Honda Accord 4 door With 330k(sisters car)
2005 toyota Avalon 228k( brothers car)
2002 Sububran 5.3 245k
2000 Tahoe 5.3l 378

General manager for Marco's Carwash & lube
truckdude239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 06:08 PM   #6
geoff.clark
SheetMetalNoob

Thank you for your responses. I will back this down to 130 and test. Thank you again.