The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-06-2012, 01:07 AM   #1
slinginrods

noob lowering issues

ok so ive lowered tons of muscle cars rods etc.never did a square.so i bought me some 6.00 leaf perches flipped the rear and welded em on,no prob.cept the brand new shocks i just bought last month are completely bottomed out.i dont like the way the extentions look.dropped shocks are soo pricey.will fronts work on the rear?also cut one coil to get the 2 inch drop,well no it didnt.1 inch is all igot bummer.so i cut one more coil out now shes nice and low cept its layin on the steel bump stops.can i cut those off?i will eventually get 2.5 spindles and 2 inch coils but this is how it will roll for some time so i need to get it some what drive able.did i mention how good it looks now?
slinginrods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 01:11 AM   #2
cory d

Re: noob lowering issues

i have heard of people using front shocks for a flipping axle. i have been thinking about trying it myself. i cut 1.5 coils off ym square and it dropped about 3" maybe 3.5"
cory d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 01:14 AM   #3
slinginrods

before and after pics
Attached Images

Old 02-06-2012, 01:29 AM   #4
J Knight

Well you will probably wish you waited on the drop kit because with a bargan drop unfortunately you get what you pay for.
1. A spring only drop of 3in or more you wont have enough alignment stud to add the shims required to set the camber so the tires will lean in dramatically. Also everytime you lift the truck the srings may fall out of the pocket in the spring tower and need to be reset before lowering the truck back to the ground.
2. Yes you can cut off the bumpstop base off of the lower control arm but depending on the front tire hieght (OD) the top of the tire may rub the underside of the inner fender wells.
3. I personally never used front shocks on the rear but I have heard that you can make them work but cant confirm it.
4. Since you welded spring perches to flip your rear you may want to check your drive shaft yoke in the tranny for proper clearance. You want to make sure that it doesnt get jammed in the tranny during suspension travel.
Old 02-06-2012, 01:36 AM   #5
slinginrods

i moved the spring perches back on the springs 1 inch.there is sufficient movement.yeah im not keen on the front end either ill order the spindles this week sometime and go with the 2 inch dropped coils.have you used that combo before? the pinion angle was set as well.i just think the flip kits are cheesy and ive seen them fold under power.this truck will eventually get the 500hp 406 sitting in my garage.but then again it may get a 9 in ford rear then.
Old 02-06-2012, 01:50 AM   #6
J Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by slinginrods View Post
i moved the spring perches back on the springs 1 inch.there is sufficient movement.yeah im not keen on the front end either ill order the spindles this week sometime and go with the 2 inch dropped coils.have you used that combo before? the pinion angle was set as well.i just think the flip kits are cheesy and ive seen them fold under power.this truck will eventually get the 500hp 406 sitting in my garage.but then again it may get a 9 in ford rear then.
OK, I see you got those issues addressed in your fabrication but it and HP wasnt stated in your op. Ive used McGaughys 2.5 drop spindles and cut one round off of my springs for a 4.5 drop. I never wanted to spend the money on drop springs but I will get some 1in when I put a BB in mine.

Last edited by J Knight; 02-06-2012 at 02:09 AM.
J Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 12:16 AM   #7
lilpoindexter

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Knight View Post
OK, I see you got those issues addressed in your fabrication but it and HP wasnt stated in your op. Ive used McGaughys 2.5 drop spindles and cut one round off of my springs for a 4.5 drop. I never wanted to spend the money on drop springs but I will get some 1in when I put a BB in mine.
I wish I would have cut my stock springs...the lowering springs are too soft for my taste...plus they were like 200 bucks. Cutting the stocks is a far better way to go.
lilpoindexter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 12:45 AM   #8
J Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilpoindexter View Post
I wish I would have cut my stock springs...the lowering springs are too soft for my taste...plus they were like 200 bucks. Cutting the stocks is a far better way to go.
Since you already have drop spring installed, maybe try some stiffer gas charged shocks, it might firm up the ride.
Old 02-10-2012, 01:06 AM   #9
gGMC DOG

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilpoindexter View Post
my nephew recently cut my front stock springs too short. so i go to a local parts store bought a new set thinking they were for a 1/2 ton. cut the round of coil out for desired drop. come to find out they were springs for a 1 ton. so we cut those down to make them work, the ride was a little stiff in the beginning, but has gotten significantly better. by looking up this particular setup online i found out that a lot of old racers do this for better handling.
gGMC DOG is offline   Reply With Quote