The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-07-2012, 12:47 AM   #1
jocko

wobbly wheel question...

So, I finally found some 71+ 6 lug K10 wheels - ordered em and they arrived today. When I lay them face down on a flat surface, they're not exactly lying "flat" - a little wobbly for my taste. Kinda hard to explain. I compared some pretty nice rally wheels and there is NO wobble at all when I lay them on a flat surface. It would appear the face is slightly bent and/or the rear face of the the rim is just a little bent, depending on the particular wheel I'm looking at. This is for a long term project, but don't want to waste money on powder coat if they would never be able to be balanced, etc.

Any thoughts? Am I being overly concerned about this? In the grand scheme, I'm not sure it matters, they'll easily accept the tires and as long as the hub and or wheel aren't MAJOR out of whack (which these aren't) - I think it's just a matter of getting them balanced.

But wanted to pick your brains on this - thoughts? On the worst one, when I say a little "wobble", I'm really only seeing MAYBE 1/8" of air gap in the wobbly spot on the flat surface - it very much appears to just be the rough, or shall I say "well worn" thin surface of the rim that lies in contact with the flat surface when you lay it face down - if that makes ANY sense at all...

Thanks.

Last edited by jocko; 02-07-2012 at 12:54 AM.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 01:00 AM   #2
geezer#99

Re: wobbly wheel question...

Take it to a tire store and have them check it for run out on a balancer. Best 10 bucks you could spend.
geezer#99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 01:01 AM   #3
jocko

good call - thanks geezer, that's exactly what I need to do!
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 02:37 AM   #4
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

An easy check at home I’ve done dozens of times is to jack up the front end, place stands under the truck and pull a front wheel. Mount a questionable wheel on the front hub, and torque all of the lug nuts to spec. Position a jack stand near it with a long screwdriver clamped to the top of the stand. Position the tip of the screwdriver against the inside of the bead seat where the tire will mount and rotate the wheel by hand. It will tell you right away if they are out of round, bent, or have flat spots. It’s also an easy reference to identify how straight the outside flanges are as well. It isn’t dial indicator accurate, but the process is completely free and will tell you right away if the rim is usable.
markeb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 02:47 AM   #5
blackedoutharley
Account Suspended

Save the 10 bucks and do what he ^^^^^ said first.
blackedoutharley is offline   Reply With Quote