The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-08-2012, 10:31 PM   #1
davepl

Quiet electric fuel pump? Timed relay?

I'm looking for two things that may not exist, but maybe they do and I just need someone to point me at them!

I need to run an electric pump in one of my vehicles because the ZZ502 big block doesn't have a mechanical pump boss (or pushrod). Right now it has the standard old Holley Blue pump on it, and it's too loud and annoying. Sounds like my power steering is shot!

So first, does anyone have any experience with a quiet pump? I see Edelbrock sells a "Quiet Flo" but marketing is marketing - anyone have any experience with it?

Second, has anyone ever heard of a timed relay for pre-computer cars with an electric pump? I need a relay that will prime for a few seconds when it first sees power and then resume, like normal, when it sees the ground signal from the oil pressure switch. Right now I have just a standard relay, which works great while the car is running but if the float bowl gets empty, it's got no way to prime it. I could add a bypass switch but I'm sure there must have been a factory setup I could steal a relay from. So far though everything I've found still relies on a computer (ECM) to tell it to prime.

Thanks!
Dave
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 01:10 AM   #2
Meatman

Re: Quiet electric fuel pump? Timed relay?

My firebird used to be fuel injected. I put a carb on it, and ditched a ton of wiring. I still kept the in tank electric pump. Its just on a return type regulator. I left all the factory wiring in place for the pump. So still have relay and oil pressure switch. ECM never controlled pump on tuned port or tbi cars. Its all done with relay and oil pressure switch.

When car sets for a while, like over a week I have to crank on it alot and then once it gets good oil pressure it will kick on pump for several seconds. I quit cranking and let it prime, and it then shuts off once oil pressure is lost. Then car fires right up and with oil pressure kicks pump back on.

I would set it up with a relay and a oil pressure switch and it should get you results you want.
My 01 TA and 88 Formula hide in the garage. :-)
Meatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 02:08 AM   #3
screamin_c10
I dun gradjiated collij!!!

Run a bypass hot lead from the ACC side of your ignition switch directly to the coil side of the relay (bypassing the oil pressure switch). Turn to the left to prime then turn to the right for start up... That's how I'm setting up the Malibu.
screamin_c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 02:15 AM   #4
jayman68
Fun Stuff

The starter usually has a small terminal that is hot during cranking. Run a wire from this terminal to the pump relay,the pump will run while the starter is cranking, then stay running from the oil pressure switch when key is released.

68 C10(project)
88 Honda Accord(DD)
93 Chevy Astro EXT 2wd
jayman68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 02:41 PM   #5
davepl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meatman View Post
My firebird used to be fuel injected. I put a carb on it, and ditched a ton of wiring. I still kept the in tank electric pump. Its just on a return type regulator. I left all the factory wiring in place for the pump. So still have relay and oil pressure switch. ECM never controlled pump on tuned port or tbi cars. Its all done with relay and oil pressure switch.

When car sets for a while, like over a week I have to crank on it alot and then once it gets good oil pressure it will kick on pump for several seconds. I quit cranking and let it prime, and it then shuts off once oil pressure is lost. Then car fires right up and with oil pressure kicks pump back on.

I would set it up with a relay and a oil pressure switch and it should get you results you want.
That's exactly what I have now, but I've found the oil pressure switch doesn't trigger during cranking. You'd think it would only be 7lbs or something, but it doesn't.

On the TBI cars did they have a bypass to run the pump during cranking, or I wonder how they handled it from the factory? If the relay had a timed feature, that might work. Or failing that I could try adding a cranking bypass so it runs during cranking regardless.

Failing that I found (someone suggested) a diesel relay that does what I describe. It's $150, so not cheap, but seems like it would work.
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 03:13 PM   #6
gvnick

I just installed an Edelbrock Quiet-Flo in my truck. I had a Carter pump in the truck that was annoying. The Edelbrock is much quieter, you can still hear it, but it doesnt drive you crazy. Though honestly, for $170 I expected it to be quieter.
gvnick is offline   Reply With Quote