The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-09-2012, 06:54 AM   #1
93FatBottom

454 Harmonic balancer removal help?

I'm trying to remove the harmonic balancer off my 454 to get to the timing cover to do a new set, but I can't get the bolt to budge. With the breaker bar, it spins the crank, with the air ratchet, it bogs down and tries to spin the crank. I'm worried that the impact wrench will either snap the bolt head off or it'll just spin the crank at a ridiculous speed. The motor has no flex plate on it, so theres nothing to stop it from spinning, I can't find anywhere locally for a piston stop, and I have the pan off and the motor upside down, I'm not planning on pulling the motor off the stand again until I have it buttoned back up and degreased and ready for some paint. Is there anything I can do here short of pulling the motor off the stand and re-attaching the flex plate? I've been scouring the internet all night for some kind of trick to it and nothings popping up except for tricks involving the flex plate. My friend told me to put the spark plugs back in and try it again, but I highly down that will do much good, or am I wrong? I'd appreciate any advice, I'm looking to have the balancer removed and the timing chain done before I have to go to work tomorrow night.

If anyone has any advice on prepping for paint, it would help a lot! I have some Gunk Engine Degreaser, some Simple Green, and oven cleaner. I also have a wire wheel. I dont want to pressure wash it because of all the openings, I just want to get the motor stripped clean off so I can rattle can her nice and pretty. I'm doing Chevy Orange and Flat aluminum Rustoleum. Should I paint before or after I pull the freeze plugs out for replacement?

Thanks guys!
93FatBottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 07:39 AM   #2
78maliburat

Re: 454 Harmonic balancer removal help?

You can put some fly wheel bolts in a couple of turns and take a breaker bar or a long screwdriver to put against bolt and engine stand mounting or take a some wood like a 2 by 4 and put against rods n block to keep it from turning
78maliburat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 08:23 AM   #3
BigBlocksRule

Use either a piece of rope or old spark plug wire. Shove most of it into a spark plug hole and when the engine turns over, it'll stop the piston before it makes it to TDC. And make sure your impact is turning the right direction - balancer bolts are conventional right hand threads, not left.
BigBlocksRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 08:58 AM   #4
93FatBottom

Thanks guys, I appreciate the feedback. I had someone remind me just a few minutes ago about how I put a fly wheel on an old 350 we built, I used a hammer handle in the bottom end to stop it from turning. I'm a jackass and didn't think about it. So it appears that I have a solution to my problem! Thank god, it was starting to get annoying haha.
Old 02-09-2012, 09:04 AM   #5
BigBlocksRule

Make sure you pull that big washer out after you get the bolt out, it won't come off with any puller if you're pushing against that dang washer.
Ask me how I know...
BigBlocksRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 09:06 AM   #6
93FatBottom

Haha don't you love when that kinda thing happens? dont you worry, I'll make sure I get that washer out of the way haha.