The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Paint & Bodywork

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-12-2012, 11:38 AM   #1
rossboss

lacquer or enamel?

I'm planning on repainting the interior of my 65 the stock color. The paint is worn and really could use anouther coat. When I went to the ppg paint dealer I was told that fawn poly #22151 was only available in lacquer. My question is, was the interior originaly painted in lacquer and if not can lacquer be painted over the existing paint.
rossboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 11:48 AM   #2
sigshooter

Re: lacquer or enamel?

lacquer was the type of paint inside and out originally for these trucks, search for interior colors in this site, there has been tons of discussion on it. astronaut found a color in base clear off a nissan I think that was near dead match... check out his build thread for the 65
1964 long bed
1965 long bed Custom Cab, factory air, V-8, powerglide
sigshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 12:02 PM   #3
Alan's Classic
1 thing at a time is progress.

Moved to paint and body for more input.
Alan's Classic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 12:02 PM   #4
kieth

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossboss View Post
I'm planning on repainting the interior of my 65 the stock color. The paint is worn and really could use anouther coat. When I went to the ppg paint dealer I was told that fawn poly #22151 was only available in lacquer. My question is, was the interior originaly painted in lacquer and if not can lacquer be painted over the existing paint.
the guy you talked to at the ppg store does not know what he is doing. The fawn poly color is available in the omni line as a single stage enamel or a base coat clear coat. I painted the interior and exterior of my 66 gmc with it last year.....Kieth........
kieth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 12:14 PM   #5
64fleetside

I have personally mixed Omni single stage enamel #22151-have the counter guy call PPG for an offset formula.
64fleetside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 12:52 PM   #6
oem4me

I would think the color could be had in any product line that is available in your area. Out here in CA, lacquer is not an option. On the exterior, most GM cars were shot with lacquer back then, trucks however were enamel. Notice no lacquer check on even the most weathered (or patina'd) examples. Not sure about the interiors though. Lacquer over enamel can be a problem, so test it first. Maybe use a sealer between, if it lifts.
oem4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 02:40 PM   #7
theastronaut

I thought I felt my ears burning!! I used basecoat with no clear on the '65 I restored. The color is '03 Nissan Sunlit Sand. I'll have to go back and look at the exact mix ratio but it was something like 50% reducer and 15% hardener. Its got the satin lacquer look and the metallic looks just right since its not burried under a satin clear coat. The hardener helps with durability but it will stain though if it's not sealed, so I sprayed furniture polish (household stuff) on it to seal the pores and enhance the sheen. The furniture polish is temporary though. Adding in a small amount of clear with a flattener into the basecoat mixture should seal it up without affecting the final appearance too much. The bottom pic shows the color better.

Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
theastronaut is offline   Reply With Quote