The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-12-2012, 05:39 PM   #1
Mccoleman830

Will headers hurt exhuast flow?

I finally found c.a.r.b. legal full length headers from Hedman for my 78 K-15 PN# 66231. My question is, will long tube headers be more restrictive over my cast iron manifolds when routed into the factory "Y" pipe? It must be routed into the factory "Y" pipe because it has to be smog legal. I was told that since I can't run "true duels" then there isn't any point to buy headers. The reason why I want headers is to replace my cracked manifolds i currently have. Thanks for your help.
Old 02-12-2012, 05:57 PM   #2
ivorton74

Re: Will headers hurt exhuast flow?

headers are supposed to improve exhaust flow...not restrict!! and more flow= more power.
ivorton74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 06:41 PM   #3
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

The theory is that if you upgrade to headers, then you should open up the rest of the system to make use of the power gains that you can realize from the headers.
Old 02-12-2012, 06:50 PM   #4
Stepper86

Why would dual pipes not be legal? If you put a cat on each pipe it should be fine, or?
Posted via Mobile Device
1986 C-10 Stepside (project "my time")
1992 Corvette cab (summer time daily driver)
1969 Cadilac DeVille Cab ("it just need some paint")
Stepper86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 07:02 PM   #5
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

California smoggies will limit what you put on,but the use of a high flow aftermarket pipe will get you the flow that you need. Don't let the rules curb your desires completely. There are many legal high performance kits on the market.
Old 02-12-2012, 07:29 PM   #6
Restrorob
The One And Only !!!

I'd rather replace the stock manifolds over fool'n with cheap sorry Headman headers.

Amazon.com: Dorman 674-197 Exhaust Manifold:... Amazon.com: Dorman 674-197 Exhaust Manifold:...
Amazon.com: Dorman 674-202 Exhaust Manifold:... Amazon.com: Dorman 674-202 Exhaust Manifold:...

I just ordered a set yesterday from above for my buddy's Chevelle.....
88 TA-GTA in the works....
97 GMC Ext. Cab
502 Crate 5 Spd......Sucks Gas But Haulz Azz !

The primary function of an Engineer is to make it difficult for the Fabricator and impossible for the Mechanic.

"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Restrorob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 08:07 PM   #7
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepper86 View Post
Why would dual pipes not be legal? If you put a cat on each pipe it should be fine, or?
The EPA & all of its extensions have no desire to validate what is acceptable & what isn't when it comes to replacement parts so they go w/'blanket' coverage (rules). You're only allowed to replace parts the way the factory equipped them. This means if it didn't come from the factory w/dual cats, it's illegal to put dual cats on it. The cat must also be in the same place on the exhaust as factory equipped.

So, even if dual cats would technically lead to cleaner emissions discharging from the tailpipe, they would still be illegal w/the current 'one-size fits all' mentality because the truck only came w/one. Exceptions are models offered w/varying options (f-bodies were available from the factory in both a single or dual cat configuration so it's technically acceptable to put 2 cats on an f-body that might have left the factory w/one as long as it's like the approved 2-cat set-up).

This is why it's hard (costly) to get emissions approved parts because the aftermarket manufacturers have to prove to the EPA that the replacement part does not defeat/reduce emissions control functionality.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mccoleman830
I was told that since I can't run "true duels" then there isn't any point to buy headers.
A good set of emissions compliant headers w/an aftermarket y-pipe routed into a larger ID cat & cat back exhaust will improve performance vs the stock manifolds, factory wimpy y-pipe, & small diameter single exhaust pipe. It will sound better too....
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.

Last edited by SCOTI; 02-12-2012 at 08:12 PM.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 09:31 PM   #8
Mccoleman830

Thanks everyone for the input. The exhaust shop where I'm having the Y pipe redone stated that it should only cost $150 to remake the new Y pipe in 3" mandrel bent tube. Not a bad price, currently I have 3" tubing from my cat all the back to my 10 series flowmaster muffler.
Old 02-12-2012, 10:01 PM   #9
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mccoleman830 View Post
Thanks everyone for the input. The exhaust shop where I'm having the Y pipe redone stated that it should only cost $150 to remake the new Y pipe in 3" mandrel bent tube. Not a bad price, currently I have 3" tubing from my cat all the back to my 10 series flowmaster muffler.
Flowmaster sells a 2.5" Y to 3" outlet y-pipe for $40 through Jegs. If the $150 cost includes mandrel pipe from the headers to the y-pipe, that sounds about right.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Old 02-13-2012, 03:57 AM   #10
dugvera@gmail.com

I wont buy anothet set of headers besides dougs thorley try y headers. I think your okay as long as they have a 3/8 flange but still. Look at doug thorley or dougs products. My $.02
Posted via Mobile Device

66 4x4 GMC Suburban
76 4x4 Chevy Shortbed
dugvera@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 05:15 AM   #11
Stepper86

[QUOTE=SCOTI;5184063]The EPA & all of its extensions have no desire to validate what is acceptable & what isn't when it comes to replacement parts so they go w/'blanket' coverage (rules). You're only allowed to replace parts the way the factory equipped them. This means if it didn't come from the factory w/dual cats, it's illegal to put dual cats on it. The cat must also be in the same place on the exhaust as factory equipped.

I see, and here I was thinking that we have complicated rules in Europe
Old 02-13-2012, 08:47 AM   #12
SCOTI

Quote:
I see, and here I was thinking that we have complicated rules in Europe
In my area of TX, several years ago we were going to switch to 'loaded chassis' style of testing for all year vehicles. This puts the vehicle closer to 'real world' loads which would yield more accurate tests. I think this type of testing would be ideal IF the vehicle was only required to pass the test to be 'legal'. Instead, it must pass a 'visual' inspection as well meaning all the various smog equipment pieces must be in place. If anything is missing (regardless of the impact on testing results) it won't pass.

In my book, the goal is cleaner air.
If my emissions controlled vehicle can still maintain the standards set by the government w/some parts changed or missing (or have even better results), it should be legal.

Of course, there are many who circumnavigate these restrictions & there are some places (shops) that might not verify every last detail as long as it passes the 'sniffer' testing. It pays to research testing options....
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 02-13-2012, 09:48 AM   #13
Stepper86

That is how we have it were I come from, pre -89 vehicles must have all smog equipment in place (if they had it from factory). But it is not tested for function, and many testers do not really make an extencive visual of the parts if the vehicle is othervise clean and tidy, if you pass the sniffer itīs okey.
On cars/trucks after -89 they will test the function(ECM error control etc..)and then do the sniffer.
They do loaded tests on diesels, but the way they test them is stupid. They start up the engine and rev it up to the limit for a period of time (I can only imagine how many they must have blown doing it )
No one drives a diesel that way, or any other engine for that mather. I think it should be done on a dyno, that way you would get some readings close to real life, but when ever you bring up the question with a tester they only shrug you off.
Old 02-13-2012, 03:00 PM   #14
Mccoleman830

Quote:
Originally Posted by dugvera@gmail.com View Post
Look at doug thorley or dougs products.
Posted via Mobile Device
I called both Doug Thorley and Doug's Headers on the phone today. Both companies no longer build headers for this older truck in a smog legal design.
Old 02-13-2012, 03:06 PM   #15
dugvera@gmail.com

Really? Man! sorry to point you in that direction. I have a set on my truck I love and just wanted to pass on a good quality product to you. I guess id just say make sure whatever headers you buy have a thick head flange.
Posted via Mobile Device

66 4x4 GMC Suburban
76 4x4 Chevy Shortbed
Old 02-13-2012, 03:35 PM   #16
Mccoleman830

Quote:
Really? Man! sorry to point you in that direction.
Posted via Mobile Device
No harm no foul. At this point summit racing has a cheap set of Edelbrock #68283. The only thing is it doesn't come with a carb E.O.# for my later year. It looks as if Hedman is the only way I can go.
Old 02-13-2012, 03:38 PM   #17
Stepper86

Flowtech makes a shortie headder that is smog legal. Would probably be easier for you to combine with the Y-pipe than long headders. Another option would be to go with the stock manifolds from a early 90īs van/pickup, I do not remember exactly from what year they change design but they flow better than the ones on our trucks. If your engine is more or less stock you will hardly notice any differense with the headders any way.
Old 02-13-2012, 03:47 PM   #18
dugvera@gmail.com

Quote:
Flowtech makes a shortie headder that is smog legal. Would probably be easier for you to combine with the Y-pipe than long headders. Another option would be to go with the stock manifolds from a early 90īs van/pickup, I do not remember exactly from what year they change design but they flow better than the ones on our trucks. If your engine is more or less stock you will hardly notice any differense with the headders any way.
This is true.
Posted via Mobile Device

66 4x4 GMC Suburban
76 4x4 Chevy Shortbed
Old 02-13-2012, 07:41 PM   #19
INSIDIOUS '86

I beg to differ on not being able to tell a difference. I had some shorty headers made for a Camaro on my 305. Had all the air pipes and everything, I had bought a higher flow cat and a flow master y pipe with a large Gibson muffler the exhaust was change to 2.5 pipe from header to y pipe and three inch all the way back from the y pipe and three from the muffler. I spent about 600 on the whole system in 09 at a shop. I got rid of the computer distributor And fixed the timing and it ran a lot stronger throughout. Getting rid of the manifold restriction and heat riser and a low flow cat made a big difference. And I still passed visual and sniff test. Of coarse mine is old enough now that the 305 and emissions stuff are gone and a 3 xpipe and stroker motor took their place lol no more emissions for me
Posted via Mobile Device
377 sbc thumpr cam autogear m23 muncie 3:73 Detroit trutrac
3''spintech prostreet mufflers xpipe 1 3/4 headers
build thread !http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=577217
Iroc gauge threadhttp://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=554511
INSIDIOUS '86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 07:46 PM   #20
dugvera@gmail.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by INSIDIOUS '86 View Post
I beg to differ on not being able to tell a difference. I had some shorty headers made for a Camaro on my 305. Had all the air pipes and everything, I had bought a higher flow cat and a flow master y pipe with a large Gibson muffler the exhaust was change to 2.5 pipe from header to y pipe and three inch all the way back from the y pipe and three from the muffler. I spent about 600 on the whole system in 09 at a shop. I got rid of the computer distributor And fixed the timing and it ran a lot stronger throughout. Getting rid of the manifold restriction and heat riser and a low flow cat made a big difference. And I still passed visual and sniff test. Of coarse mine is old enough now that the 305 and emissions stuff are gone and a 3 xpipe and stroker motor took their place lol no more emissions for me
Posted via Mobile Device
For sure if all that work is done you'll notice some differances. A simple manifold to header swap is probably not going to show noticeable changes. Thats all I was saying.
Posted via Mobile Device

66 4x4 GMC Suburban
76 4x4 Chevy Shortbed
Old 02-13-2012, 07:50 PM   #21
INSIDIOUS '86

Well consider the fact that a manifold opening at the flange is 2 1/4 at best not to mention the restriction the heat riser adds as well. The scavenging of the short tube header will slow the chamber to fill with more air fuel and less exhaust vs the log manifold that does not separate the cylinders. So even if there is t a great gain in power. The efficiency will def increase and so will mpg
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-13-2012, 08:22 PM   #22
dugvera@gmail.com

Quote:
Well consider the fact that a manifold opening at the flange is 2 1/4 at best not to mention the restriction the heat riser adds as well. The scavenging of the short tube header will slow the chamber to fill with more air fuel and less exhaust vs the log manifold that does not separate the cylinders. So even if there is t a great gain in power. The efficiency will def increase and so will mpg
Posted via Mobile Device
So....... very little noticable change from behind the wheel or even at the pump without opening up the entire system for full flow. And at that point you need to start thinking about how your going to compensate on the intake side of the system to feed the new opened up system. Im about to drop 6 bills on headers for my 66 and have a smog legal set on my 76. But would id advise someone to spend a bunch of cash on a set of headers when for very little outa pocket they can just replace the stock manifold. Perhaps save the money for an upgrade like an msd that actually will show noticable changes. Will they hurt? For sure not. Id hate to start a real argument here but do you think the engineers at GM would have known all they needed to do was bolt some cheap tubes to their motors that they would have a better overall product that all trucks would have started coming off assembly lines with headers years ago?
Posted via Mobile Device

66 4x4 GMC Suburban
76 4x4 Chevy Shortbed
Old 02-13-2012, 08:29 PM   #23
INSIDIOUS '86

Wouldn't need to change the intake. The corvettes had a higher flow improved design header of sorts too. A manifold promotes faster warm up and is robust and lasts a long time. Faster warmup means less emissions over all witch meats the requirements Even so. You can't deny some cheap smog legal headers will improve things. I can't say it will do a whole lot as a stand alone upgrade but I've seen the factory y pipe and headers. Built to last not go fast. As for the argument I see no argument just two sides bringing valid points.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-13-2012, 08:32 PM   #24
dugvera@gmail.com

Quote:
Wouldn't need to change the intake. The corvettes had a higher flow improved design header of sorts too. A manifold promotes faster warm up and is robust and lasts a long time. Faster warmup means less emissions over all witch meats the requirements Even so. You can't deny some cheap smog legal headers will improve things. I can't say it will do a whole lot as a stand alone upgrade but I've seen the factory y pipe and headers. Built to last not go fast. As for the argument I see no argument just two sides bringing valid points.
Posted via Mobile Device
Agreed. What a cheap set of hraders will do is get you very good at changing out gaskets.
Posted via Mobile Device

66 4x4 GMC Suburban
76 4x4 Chevy Shortbed
Old 02-13-2012, 10:57 PM   #25
SCOTI

Quote:
Agreed. What a cheap set of hraders will do is get you very good at changing out gaskets.
Manifolds can & do bring you similar results. Both of my square bodies had cracked and/or broken manifolds so they're not bullet-proof either.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG