The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-14-2012, 02:33 AM   #1
BBrendal
Recalculating.....

33 inch spare tire

Would a 33x12.50x15 tire and rim fit in an inner sparetire carrier with side panels instald?

1969 Chevy Camaro Z28
1972 Chevy Blazer CST
2004 GMC Yukon (The truck that pulls the car trailer)
1972 Chevy Blazer CST #2 (Finished and sold!)

Blazer build link...
http://s1213.photobucket.com/albums/...rendal/Blazer/
BBrendal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 08:36 PM   #2
Firebirdjones

Re: 33 inch spare tire

Side panels won't be a problem. I run a 31x10.5 spare on my inside tire carrier and I have about 6" of room to my CST side panel.

The problem though is the tire carrier itself. Like I said, I run a 31" tall tire and it was borderline to fit as the taller tire moves the center of the wheel higher. I needed a longer stud to reach, but the angle is to a point that I wouldn't want to go any taller.
The other issue you might have is that 12.5" wide tire, you will need a pretty long stud to compensate for the height, angle, and width.

My 31x10.5 is tall enough to the point that the back of the tire doesn't rest on the top of the carrier anymore like it was designed to do. It actually rests on the rim itself, so I use a piece of rubber in between to keep things from getting gouged, something else to consider.

Give it a shot though, let me know how it works out for you.
Firebirdjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 08:46 AM   #3
pound41

we are going back 30 years but when I ran those tires on my blazer I eventually took the carrier out and laid the tire down. I remember like Firebird said too wide to sit down good and rim hole too high to line up
pound41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 10:53 AM   #4
Firebirdjones

Yeah, I kind of figured since a 31" tire was a tight fit for me. I run 33's on the blazer but I just live with the 31" spare. Figure it would only be on there long enough for me to get to a tire center for a new tire. As long as you don't have a clutch style posi unit it doesn't hurt anything.

With the clutch style posi unit and flat tire on the back, I end up taking the front tire off for the back and putting the spare on the front. Pain in the butt to change 2 tires but alot of these newer cars are that way with their tiny spares. I also carry fix-a-flat, tire plugs, and an air compressor just in case I can get away with not changing the tire if I don't have to

At some point I'll need another set of 33's. I might keep an old one for a spare and just see if I can make it work on the spare tire hanger, but I'm thinking it would be a tough go.
I run 33x10.5's on mine, so a little skinnier than your 12.5's. That may or may not make it easier for me to mount that tire on the spare holder.
Old 02-15-2012, 01:24 PM   #5
BBrendal
Recalculating.....

I think Ill just lay the spare tire down and just put it in on my long trips. I was wondering if I should buy a inner spare tire carrier or not.Im going with not. I figure as long as Im within 50 Miles of my house I always have a cellphone, motor club card , and a credit card to make sure I get home or fixed up. I do have a clutch drivin posi in the rear so I need to keep the tires the same size as well. Thanks all for your help.

1969 Chevy Camaro Z28
1972 Chevy Blazer CST

Blazer build link...
Old 02-15-2012, 02:24 PM   #6
Firebirdjones

I have a clutch style posi too, (on several cars). You just have to take a front tire off and install on the rear, and stick the spare on the front.

As long as your front and rear tires are the same height, it's fine.

Pretty common practice on today's new cars and tiny spares.

It's obviously up to you, but I personally wouldn't lay a spare in there. I wouldn't take the chance of hitting something and having a 60 lbs. boomerang bouncing off everything inside the truck, especially with my kids in the back seat.
That's why I bolted it in on the factory hanger, and just deal with it being a 31" tire for now, I'll just run it on the front if the need arrises.
Old 02-15-2012, 06:42 PM   #7
BBrendal
Recalculating.....

Yea I see what you mean about laying it down. I already have the 33 inch spare I dont have a inside spare carrier. If the 33 would fit I would buy one. I took off the outer carrier because I didnt like how it would cover 2/3rd of my new chevrolet band and they are very noisey. All in all It seems like the cellphone and credit card are the way to go. I do have to say that after 25 years of driving I never had a flat yet (knock on wood).

1969 Chevy Camaro Z28
1972 Chevy Blazer CST

Blazer build link...
Old 02-15-2012, 07:17 PM   #8
Firebirdjones

I hear ya. I've had flats but it's been at least 20 years for me. Even with mild off roading I've been pretty lucky.

Ours had the outside tire carrier, like you, I didn't care for it either. It was noisy, and I got sick of opening the tire all the time to access the back of the truck. People would park right on my tail, I'd have to move the truck forward to put groceries in,,,yada yada. I was always worried about theft too, even with a pad lock on it. Not to mention the Arizona sun was hard on tires that just sat in the sun all the time, so a cover was necessary too.

In the end I just pulled all that stuff off and moved the spare back inside where it was to begin with. I agree, I just like the cleaner look of the truck without that outside tire carrier.

But like you said, with a cell phone and things like AAA, there isn't much to worry about.
Old 02-15-2012, 07:21 PM   #9
Firebirdjones

Tell ya what I could do though if you are curious.

Keep in touch with me (via pm's if you like) I'll probably loose track of this thread by this time.

But I'm getting ready to do a front and rear differential swap on mine. While I've got the wheels off I'll remove the 31" spare and see how my 33x10.5's fit on the carrier, take some pics, and email them your way.

I'm almost certain the diameter will fit, and my width is a tad narrower than yours, it's the center hole I'm curious about.

Then you could make a decision on whether you want to spend the dough on a tire carrier. Maybe that would help. Cheers, Larry.
Old 02-15-2012, 11:50 PM   #10
rsavage

Brian,
I wonder if a pickup style in bed tire carrier that bolts to the side and floor would work? I don't know if there is enough room between the wheel tub and gate - or if it is high enough to bolt a taller tire to - just thinking out loud. I have one kicking around so I might just take a look at it tomorrow. If I do I'll let you know.
2021 Durango RT 5.7
rsavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 10:28 AM   #11
BBrendal
Recalculating.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
Tell ya what I could do though if you are curious.

Keep in touch with me (via pm's if you like) I'll probably loose track of this thread by this time.

But I'm getting ready to do a front and rear differential swap on mine. While I've got the wheels off I'll remove the 31" spare and see how my 33x10.5's fit on the carrier, take some pics, and email them your way.

I'm almost certain the diameter will fit, and my width is a tad narrower than yours, it's the center hole I'm curious about.

Then you could make a decision on whether you want to spend the dough on a tire carrier. Maybe that would help. Cheers, Larry.
That would be great. Ill keep in touch!

1969 Chevy Camaro Z28
1972 Chevy Blazer CST

Blazer build link...
Old 02-16-2012, 10:34 AM   #12
BBrendal
Recalculating.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsavage View Post
Brian,
I wonder if a pickup style in bed tire carrier that bolts to the side and floor would work? I don't know if there is enough room between the wheel tub and gate - or if it is high enough to bolt a taller tire to - just thinking out loud. I have one kicking around so I might just take a look at it tomorrow. If I do I'll let you know.
Rick are you thinking a carrier like the second gen Blazers? If so I was thinking that too but I think the rear seat on the 2nd gen are moved more forward then the 1st. But if you have the items lying around and figure a possible solution that would be awesome. Not in too big of a hurry since the motor is going to be pulled in March so take ur time. Thanks Rick!

1969 Chevy Camaro Z28
1972 Chevy Blazer CST

Blazer build link...
Old 02-16-2012, 12:40 PM   #13
rsavage

Brian,
Took a look and definitely not enough room between the wheel tub rear and the tail gate so the side mount idea is out.
2021 Durango RT 5.7
rsavage is offline   Reply With Quote