The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-14-2012, 07:02 PM   #1
dnights

1951 chevy 3100...Good deal or not?

So I have been searching for a different truck for a while and I spotted this one around the Dallas, TX area. I emailed about it and it does have a good title and the seller is wanting $2500 obo. To me it seems like a good deal but that is because I am used to seeing nothing but rusted out trucks go for that back home. Any thoughts about this would greatly help. http://dallas.craigslist.org/ndf/cto/2790242400.html

1981 Chevy C10 Longbed
dnights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 07:23 PM   #2
Wrenchbender Ret

Re: 1951 chevy 3100...Good deal or not?

It looks pretty solid in the photo. That would be about the right price for one especially if you negotiated it down some. The only thing is how bad has it been butchard with that engine swap.
Wrenchbender Ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 07:39 PM   #3
bikerman9967

for the price, it doesnt look bad.
bikerman9967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 08:02 PM   #4
Maximus

for a complete 5-window, I would say the $2500 is worth it with a title. Rust issues are impossible to see in these photos though, but it looks like a nice project!

He also has a pontiac in it. im not unique

looking at the photos, the inner wheel wells look to be missing and the tires are wide in the fenders... this looks like a classic Firebird/trans-am subframe swap. If this is the direction you were planning on going, it could save you tons of work. AS LONG AS IT WAS INSTALLED CORRECTLY.

Be sure to take a long look at the frame joints if it was in-fact subframed. also looks like they used the rear end out of the same car.

also, they were probably like me and just wanted to use all the parts the firebird had, but if you dont care for the pontiac motor you can pull it out and buy some bolt-on Camaro V8 mounts for a Chevy engine that will bolt to the subframe.

If I was in texas, and looking for a AD truck, i'd probably be a jerk and go buy it out from under you hahaha

already having a subframed, axle swapped, front end installed truck would have saved me years of time at my build speed.

then again, I also get the satisfaction of doing all the work and knowing how well it was done... that would be my only concern - build quality of the modifications.

Last edited by Maximus; 02-14-2012 at 08:08 PM.
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 12:08 AM   #5
dnights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
for a complete 5-window, I would say the $2500 is worth it with a title. Rust issues are impossible to see in these photos though, but it looks like a nice project!

He also has a pontiac in it. im not unique

looking at the photos, the inner wheel wells look to be missing and the tires are wide in the fenders... this looks like a classic Firebird/trans-am subframe swap. If this is the direction you were planning on going, it could save you tons of work. AS LONG AS IT WAS INSTALLED CORRECTLY.

Be sure to take a long look at the frame joints if it was in-fact subframed. also looks like they used the rear end out of the same car.

also, they were probably like me and just wanted to use all the parts the firebird had, but if you dont care for the pontiac motor you can pull it out and buy some bolt-on Camaro V8 mounts for a Chevy engine that will bolt to the subframe.

If I was in texas, and looking for a AD truck, i'd probably be a jerk and go buy it out from under you hahaha

already having a subframed, axle swapped, front end installed truck would have saved me years of time at my build speed.

then again, I also get the satisfaction of doing all the work and knowing how well it was done... that would be my only concern - build quality of the modifications.
Thanks for the info. I guess I didn't look close enough at the pics to notice the inner fender issue. I knew someone would catch something I didn't pay attention to. I will have to ask the questions about the frame since that would be something that would keep me from getting it even though I do plan on going the corvette suspension route and I do have a 3100 frame to do that with.

1981 Chevy C10 Longbed
Old 02-15-2012, 12:09 AM   #6
Henry50

That looks like a good buy, but its not a 51 and that's a small block Chevy engine in it.
Henry50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 01:24 AM   #7
Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry50 View Post
That looks like a good buy, but its not a 51 and that's a small block Chevy engine in it.
how can you tell its not a '51?

and there is no way a small block chevy has that wide of an intake.
its gotta be a real poncho

Last edited by Maximus; 02-15-2012 at 01:31 AM.
Old 02-15-2012, 09:45 AM   #8
focusedontheprize

Quote:
how can you tell its not a '51?
I am assuming he is looking at the glass, there is no vents in the driver's side glass. '51 came with vents I believe. Also I think I can make our an upper A arm so I believe it has to be swapped.

As for the OP, I just purchased mine from CL in MN about month ago. I would call the listing and ask for more pictures. Especially with camera phones, it much easier and a lot of people are willing to do it. It looks like the tires are either sunk in the grass or deflated. I would ask if there are any under carriages shots of the truck. Then again it is in TX so it may not have that much rust on it.
focusedontheprize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 04:57 PM   #9
Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by focusedontheprize View Post
I am assuming he is looking at the glass, there is no vents in the driver's side glass. '51 came with vents I believe.
I know what your saying, and it could be a '50, but if he sub framed the front end and swapped a motor, he could have changed doors too...
I just was making a point to the guy who came in and has only made one post that to say "Its not a 51" .... hard know from this photo. I also cant really see the cowl
it would have been more helpful for him to say "Those doors are from a 50' or earlier truck" as they also have those cool dangerous handles! haha
Old 02-15-2012, 06:47 PM   #10
Tims37chevy

Hard to tell but it looks like it has the drivers side cowl vent so i would say 50 or earlier
Tims37chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 11:05 PM   #11
Henry50

Quote:
I know what your saying, and it could be a '50, but if he sub framed the front end and swapped a motor, he could have changed doors too...
I just was making a point to the guy who came in and has only made one post that to say "Its not a 51" .... hard know from this photo. I also cant really see the cowl
it would have been more helpful for him to say "Those doors are from a 50' or earlier truck" as they also have those cool dangerous handles! haha

It has a vent on the side of the cowl, there is no way it's a 51,

The engine looks just like a sbc and it has sbc rams horn manifolds on it.
Henry50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 11:54 PM   #12
dnights

Okay, I emailed the seller again to get some more information about the title. I know in some places, they would title and register the vehicle in the current year bought in and not the year it was built but I do believe it actually is a early 49. 48 and earlier didn't have emblems on the hood but the late 49 did and in the 49 the tank is moved to the cab. Also trying to find out about the subframe. Anyways I am hoping the wife will back me up on this and see if I can try and get it for $1500-$1800 range.

Also I would have never known any of this without posting here and having everyone else spot the stuff I initially overlooked.

1981 Chevy C10 Longbed

Last edited by dnights; 02-15-2012 at 11:56 PM. Reason: more information
Old 02-16-2012, 12:02 AM   #13
Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnights View Post
Also I would have never known any of this without posting here and having everyone else spot the stuff I initially overlooked.
Good luck with the negotiations! and as for the unknown facts, anything you have question on just throw the questions out there, there are hundreds of us willing and able to help ya answer any questions we can. Its a fantastic resource, because everyone has their own backgrounds, and if one person doesn't know something, likely someone else will...
Good Luck!