The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-14-2012, 10:20 PM   #1
csb#356

Weird air leak on edelbrock 1406

Today I noticed that there is an open hole that I can feel sucking air on the bottom of the choke housing. I can't find anything on this in the edelbrock manual. Just wondering if anyone has seen this before and what they did about it and what is supposed to be there. Sorry I don't know if you can see it in the picture but I tried to put a red square around it. I don't know how to edit pictures on this computer.
Attached Images

csb#356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 01:03 AM   #2
droppedgmc
Truck Enthusiast

Re: Weird air leak on edelbrock 1406

9 and 9b? the one on the truck in my garage is plugged @ 9b

page 22
http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_...ers_manual.pdf
Old 02-15-2012, 01:13 AM   #3
bowtiemanchevyman

get a new carb like a holley or a demon they last longer and work better
bowtiemanchevyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 01:47 AM   #4
Cue-Ball

The Edelbrock 140X series carbs are, in my opinion, the best street carbs you can buy. I've got two of them (one on the truck, one on the Camaro), my Dad has one on his '69 Chevelle big block, and my brother has one on his '70 Chevelle. They all work well, but the design has gone through changes over the years. My brothers carb is a fairly old model and it has at least two or three extra vacuum fittings that the newer carbs do not have. My guess is that your carb is fairly old and that the online manuals for the new models probably will not list all of the parts for yours. Hopefully the diagram that droppedgmc posted will help.
Cue-Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 07:41 PM   #5
wilkin250r

There is indeed an air passage from the carburetor body to the Electric Choke on the 1406 model in that vicinity. If you look at the diagram that droppedgmc posted, 9a is a small O-ring to seal that passage. So the choke does indeed have manifold vacuum.

It's been a few years since I've taken apart an electric choke, so bear with me on this next part. It would make sense to me that if the choke does indeed have manifold vacuum applied to it, it would also have some sort of VENT in another location as well to utilize the pressure difference. The only thing is there shouldn't be a direct passage between the two.

I'm thinking something is wrong in your choke housing if it's letting vacuum all the way through. You can take it apart and try to figure it out, and I can help you because I actually have a brand new electric choke in a package on a shelf somewhere, I have no problems taking it apart and figuring it out with you. Or, a brand new electric choke is somewhere in the realm of $50.
wilkin250r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 08:12 PM   #6
csb#356

OK thank you for the help fellas. This carb is actually almost brand new, I have seen some older carters that had a vacuum nipple from the same location I am talking about (It would be item #9 in the diagram posted above) and they had a hose from there up to the choke housing. However mine never had that when I bought it and I can't find a diagram anywhere that shows a plug or anything or maybe there isn't supposed to be one there in the first place and I just have a seal leaking. This edelbrock has pissed me off since the day I bought it. I haven't recalibrated it yet, but I have always ran holleys with factory settings and they work fine. Not so with this thing, not to mention the floats were WAY off from the factory.
csb#356 is offline   Reply With Quote