The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-15-2012, 01:16 AM   #1
BrookelynnGreen

Power Window Question... stumped:/

My driver side window rolls down nice. But my passenger side rolls down SUPER slow, so slow that I think it might roll down a few inches and stop. What could be the problem with that passenger side window? Any suggestions would help.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-15-2012, 02:50 AM   #2
bowtiemanchevyman

Re: Power Window Question... stumped:/

the motor is wore out. need to replace it. replace both at the same time. im replacing mine. i just got some off of Ebay for $78 and on classic parts is 50 a piece. they are easy to replace.
bowtiemanchevyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 02:53 AM   #3
ringger14

Grease up your window tracks, check your window switch for a bad connection. It may be time to replace the window motor. Mine did the same thing on the pass side to where I had to physically go over and push up on the glass while I pressed the switch. Putting a new motor in it fixed the issue for me. I went ahead and did both cause when one thing goes bad its partner usually drops dead shortly after.
ringger14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 03:42 AM   #4
melks

I've currently got the same problem on my 84, im going to check the connections and grease up the tracks to see if that solves it, if not i guess its time for some new window motors
Old 02-15-2012, 04:03 AM   #5
ringger14

Greasing the tracks will help ALOT. When I did mine, it didnt look like it had been done since it was manufactured. My motor was dying but it went up alot easier.
ringger14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 09:09 AM   #6
tucsonjwt

I agree with all above, but the connector end of the power window harness at the switch could also be defective and not making good contact. You can check by wiggling the harness/connector while trying to operate the window. If the motor cuts in and out as you move the connector, then you probably need a harness. You can search the online Delco catalog to find the correct connector/harness for your truck. Also, the plastic rollers that run in the regulator track can be frozen up from hardened grease or just plain wore out. I have not been able to find correct replacement rollers and they are swagged in, not bolted, so a new regulator would probably be in order for the best fix if you have that problem. For motors, I would check the online OEM vendors for GM or AC/Delco motors - I think they are sometimes less expensive than aftemarket. Try:
autopartstomorrow.com
davesautoparts.com
oehq.com
oewarehouse.com
rockauto.com
Some of these vendors have free shipping.
tucsonjwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 09:18 AM   #7
homemade87

While you are in there replacing that stuff you may want to look into doing the window relay up grade. I was amazed what a diffrence it made. The cost was cheep to do. 4 realays and some wire.
homemade87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 10:12 AM   #8
splehigh

I would try this before replacing the motor. The motors sometimes need a better ground. You can splice in to the ground wire that goes to the motor and ground the wire to the cab. Its worth a try and won't cost much.
splehigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 11:15 AM   #9
rs72z

Quote:
Originally Posted by homemade87 View Post
While you are in there replacing that stuff you may want to look into doing the window relay up grade. I was amazed what a diffrence it made. The cost was cheep to do. 4 realays and some wire.
Is there a article on doing this? I ws thinking i might try relays on mine.
rs72z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 02:36 PM   #10
homemade87

Quote:
Originally Posted by splehigh View Post
I would try this before replacing the motor. The motors sometimes need a better ground. You can splice in to the ground wire that goes to the motor and ground the wire to the cab. Its worth a try and won't cost much.
Just a note about doing this. The switch reverses the polarity on the two wires on the motor. If you ground one wire you will blow a fuse. Reversing the positive and negitive is how it makes the motor runs the other way.
Old 02-15-2012, 02:48 PM   #11
splehigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by homemade87 View Post
Just a note about doing this. The switch reverses the polarity on the two wires on the motor. If you ground one wire you will blow a fuse. Reversing the positive and negitive is how it makes the motor runs the other way.
Good point. Maybe running a separate ground wire from the cab to the window motor would be better.
splehigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 02:51 PM   #12
homemade87

Quote:
Originally Posted by rs72z View Post
Is there a article on doing this? I ws thinking i might try relays on mine.
Here is one I found with a search.http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...r+window+relay. Just search power window relay. You should find several posts on this subject. All you have to do is take the 2 wires off the motor and put one on each relay. one for up and one for down. Then run one wire from each relay to the motor. Wire the relays so the polarity reverses to the motor when you hit the switch. I also would run a big wire to the relays straight from the battery(fused) to get your power. Im sure you will see many things in the post to help you.
Old 02-15-2012, 02:59 PM   #13
54Caddy
GM Addicted

also with a volt meter check what your power is going into the switch, then at the motor, you can find your power are grounds with a diagram or using a test light. Very easy to do and will narrow things down quickly. My brothers 89 had the same problem the power wire to the window had low voltage, taped it into a different power wire and work perfectly.

My 73 GMC Truck Build Pic
2010 Silverado 4/6 on 24s

IG:MacsGarage
54Caddy is offline   Reply With Quote