The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-16-2012, 03:36 PM   #1
chebyshortbox65

new vs old parts

Hi guys this is my first post so how many guys like to adapt factory parts for your builds I'm a diesel mechanic by trade and like to do every thing myself how many guys build there own brackets,harnesses and such?as soon as I can figure out how to upload pics ill post some of my projects just sold a 65 c10 i airbagged and did suspension swap from 75 and rear disc brakes from a 78 caddy had to sell it before it was finished it sucks but I got support my family I've also got an 81 gmc 1/2 I've lowerd 4/6 and installed a 5.3 doing harness,exhaust,mounts,fuel system keeping duel tanks everything iny garage my new project is a 53 gmc 1/2 long bed that that I'm cutting the frame to a shortbed putting a 68 camaro clip I know a lot of people don't like them I would like to try out a ifs kit but no money and someone butcherd this frame by putting a car steering box and I enjoy fabricating I seen one done with a modifyed 73-87 c10 xmember which I wanted to do but agin grams hacked anyways hope to meet some good people xpress some knowledge and learn some more myself thanks for reading
Posted via Mobile Device
chebyshortbox65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 10:06 PM   #2
Maximus

Re: new vs old parts

got any photos of the '81? also photos of your '53??
I'm not sure what your question is, but welcome! Sorry you had to sell your '65 but at least your doing what you have to do, and making sure your priorities are strait. Good luck with the '53 build!
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 01:36 AM   #3
chebyshortbox65

Talking Re: new vs old parts

I'm trying to get pics uploaded I was just asking how many people build there own parts like suspesion and x members or use parts off of other trucks and who buys everything new the other was just a little about myself
Posted via Mobile Device
chebyshortbox65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 03:01 PM   #4
traenknerperformance

i own my own shop- ive come to find out that its a 50-50 shot- somtimes its easier to make your own stuff, other times its best to buy a new part or a part you can adapt to fit- or somtimes its best to buy somthing made to fit

when i do a ls1 retrofit- i do my own wireing since a harness is around 1000$ to buy, but i buy the conversion mounts- most vehicals these days have conversion mounts and brackets and they are fairly cheap.

what ive always done is figure out how much your time is worth to you. if your time is worth 20/hr then figure out about how much it would be to make the part- if its going to cost you 20 hours by the time you finish your part and they only cost 75$ then its worth it to just buy it
traenknerperformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 04:09 PM   #5
Rude Dude

Sometimes it is easier to buy things why re-invent the wheel
Rude Dude is offline   Reply With Quote