The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-16-2012, 06:30 PM   #1
Mayo
Cool Truck

Would you go with drum or disc brakes?

I have a 68 C20 with drum brakes all the way around but I know a guy with a 72 C20 that I could probably get cheap and do a disc brake swap. I was just wondering what you guys preferred, drums or disc? In a way I would like to stick with my drums due to the lack of brake dust and as far as I know, disc brakes push your wheels out about 1 or 2 inches and I think that would look kind of odd. What are your thoughts, and feel free to add pics of disc brake conversion truck so I could get an idea of how far it moves the wheels out.

Looking for a patina'd 68 50th Anniversary longbed
Mayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 06:35 PM   #2
OARNGESI

Re: Would you go with drum or disc brakes?

First time you stop in traffic youll be glad you got the disks
OARNGESI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 06:38 PM   #3
dhaymaker

With the possible exception of 1) a purist restoring a truck to exacting specifications or 2) a situation where there is no money for a disc brake swap, there is no reason to run drum brakes. My perspective is based on the fact you can find several alternatives to enable a disc brake swap, it doesn't have to be a high-dollar disc brake conversion kit. Additionally, in inclement weather, drum brakes are inherently more prone to problems. Drum brakes that get wet are much less efficient and if you're running down a street in heavy rain, and there is a lot of water collecting at the curb, you can get one side wet and the other side will grab, creating dangerous conditions. Disc brakes are less prone to fade in high use situations, as well. Depending on the use of your truck, disc brakes are just a good idea. imho

"The DRBMan"

2014 Audi A4 (The Wife's Daily Driver)
2017 HD Ultra (The Cruiser)
2003 HD Fatboy (The Ride)
2001 Chevy Suburban (Another back up!!)

For the first time in forever, not a single 67-72 Chevy truck, Blazer, or Suburban on the property! Basically retired and getting the new Motorhome ready for some traveling. Doing a bit of work on the house getting it ready to sell! LOL!!
dhaymaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 07:47 PM   #4
Mayo
Cool Truck

yeah my truck isn't stock so that is not a problem, I am just concerned about the front tires being set wider than the rear.

Looking for a patina'd 68 50th Anniversary longbed
Mayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 07:49 PM   #5
OARNGESI

Its .75 of a inch on each side just run a spacer on the rear but you probally wont even notice
OARNGESI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 08:00 PM   #6
woodchip

I have a 68 custom 396 long bed restored to org.When I had this truck the first time ,I drove it over a 100,000.miles made a lot of trips camping, with a101/2 foot camper on it .The camper weigh was 2500lb dry.the drum brakes work fine. I put the drum brakes back like it was, still not having any trouble.
Look what kind of brakes are on tractor& trailers,drum brakes. By the way I can lock the wheels up on my 68 what more can you do.

I forgot to say I have power brakes.
62 Wheel Horse tractor in good shape

Last edited by woodchip; 02-16-2012 at 08:17 PM.
woodchip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 08:03 PM   #7
earlthegoat2

There is really nothing wrong with drum brakes. THey can be finicky but if you know your stuff they will stop you just fine. Disc brake swaps are a pain so I just dont do them.

I can power stop my manual drums and lock up all four on a dime. Not saying you should do this but it is a valid test of braking power.
Old 02-16-2012, 08:51 PM   #8
bigsnookmaster

Drum brakes will fade from repeated hard braking. There's a reason why all new vehicles come with 4 wheel discs, They Work Better! .02
bigsnookmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 09:12 PM   #9
robzilla

i'm thinking of doing the same swap, do i need to install the power end of it, at the same time, or can i just install the disk brakes using the existing master cylinder?
robzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 10:36 PM   #10
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Another disc brake fan here, for reasons listed above. If you're able to handle the swap from drums, IMO it's well worth doing.

robzilla, discs require a higher line pressure than drums.... I would add a power booster (and prop. valve).

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 10:41 PM   #11
Gokart Mozart

I've heard with having an exhaust that exits in front of the tires, drum brakes will rust quicker than rear exit because of condensation and this isn't an issue with discs. Anyone know if that's true?
Gokart Mozart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 11:26 PM   #12
robzilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stocker View Post
Another disc brake fan here, for reasons listed above. If you're able to handle the swap from drums, IMO it's well worth doing.

robzilla, discs require a higher line pressure than drums.... I would add a power booster (and prop. valve).
i am trying to do the swap without having too much down time
do the lines need to be changed? or will the existing lines, which have been changed recently, work?
robzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 12:49 AM   #13
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Great question.... I don't have a good answer. The only reason I can think to change yours is if there is a compelling reason to have different sizes. I'm pretty sure that my '72, with stock front discs, has different sized lines to the front than to the rear. I'll check in the morning.

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Old 02-17-2012, 01:47 AM   #14
grancuda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gokart Mozart View Post
I've heard with having an exhaust that exits in front of the tires, drum brakes will rust quicker than rear exit because of condensation and this isn't an issue with discs. Anyone know if that's true?
No, not an issue with either.
Posted via Mobile Device
grancuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 08:28 AM   #15
MARKDTN

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhaymaker View Post
With the possible exception of 1) a purist restoring a truck to exacting specifications or 2) a situation where there is no money for a disc brake swap, there is no reason to run drum brakes. My perspective is based on the fact you can find several alternatives to enable a disc brake swap, it doesn't have to be a high-dollar disc brake conversion kit. Additionally, in inclement weather, drum brakes are inherently more prone to problems. Drum brakes that get wet are much less efficient and if you're running down a street in heavy rain, and there is a lot of water collecting at the curb, you can get one side wet and the other side will grab, creating dangerous conditions. Disc brakes are less prone to fade in high use situations, as well. Depending on the use of your truck, disc brakes are just a good idea. imho
What he said.
'07 Tahoe(Son driving)
'14 Suburban-DD
'71 C10-current project
MARKDTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 08:36 AM   #16
hugger6933

If any way run with the disc brakes, why do you think those type of swaps are so popular? because they make the truck or car more safe and enjoyable
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 08:39 AM   #17
grancuda

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsnookmaster View Post
Drum brakes will fade from repeated hard braking. There's a reason why all new vehicles come with 4 wheel discs, They Work Better! .02
Disc brakes are easier to build & assemble and take less time to put on the vehicle. Also, its just like dual exhaust, you really think a 4 cyl Accord needs dual exhaust, it's supply & demand.

Drums work good when properly set-up.
I have had both drums and disc on various older vehicles and there is not much difference in the two. Going thru deep water is the only time I have had drum not work well but that very rarely occurs.

Make sure if you get disc to get the matching master cylinder and proportioning valve or they will work worse than a rebuilt drum set-up.
Old 02-17-2012, 08:54 AM   #18
67anthony

Drum are fine but if i had the change i would go with dics
67anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 09:05 AM   #19
mrein3

Quote:
Originally Posted by grancuda View Post
Disc brakes are easier to build & assemble and take less time to put on the vehicle. Also, its just like dual exhaust, you really think a 4 cyl Accord needs dual exhaust, it's supply & demand.

Once.
Maybe in Central OK drums work good but I can tell you for a fact that once you stop hard once you're done for the day. In a more populated place you're gonna be on them all the time in which case disc brakes outshine drums all day every day.

I still have the power drums on my convertible Chevelle. Every year a local town twists my arm to drive around in the parade with a few of the junior royality girls riding on the back waving to the crowd. The 3.8 miles back home at the end of the parade - after riding on the drums for one mile in the route - is the most scared I am driving a vehicle. There is little to no brake left.
I can't imagine getting stuck in a 5 mile line of stop and go traffic from an accident or similar with an all drum car or truck then having to stop hard. Therefore my convertible is stuck in its current life of parade duty only on really nice days where I know what is in front of me and I have plenty of time to plan ahead. I would never tow with it or drive it in ANY traffic and won't until I get the brakes converted to discs. Drums just are not as safe as discs.

Look at it this way. Don't do it for yourself. Do it for the Dodge minivan full of kids with an inattentive mom talking on her cell phone that just blew through a stop sign with you coming straight on at a 90 degree angle. You gonna be able to sleep at night when the last thing that kid strapped to the outboard seat saw was the grill of a '68 C20 coming at him with the driver putting everything into the brake and not getting anything?
Center City, MN
mrein3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 09:19 AM   #20
bigsnookmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by grancuda View Post

I have had both drums and disc on various older vehicles and there is not much difference in the two. Going thru deep water is the only time I have had drum not work well but that very rarely occurs.

Make sure if you get disc to get the matching master cylinder and proportioning valve or they will work worse than a rebuilt drum set-up.
I will disagree with the supply and demand. Safety is the real reason. I have 4 wheel discs on my 68, and Yes it makes a Huge difference in the way our 4000lb. trucks stop. You really can't appreciate it until you drive it! Trust me, I have had these trucks all my life, and I have had the panic stops where you're prayin that it'll stop! .02
bigsnookmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 09:31 AM   #21
grancuda

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrein3 View Post
Once.
Maybe in Central OK drums work good but I can tell you for a fact that once you stop hard once you're done for the day. In a more populated place you're gonna be on them all the time in which case disc brakes outshine drums all day every day.

I still have the power drums on my convertible Chevelle. Every year a local town twists my arm to drive around in the parade with a few of the junior royality girls riding on the back waving to the crowd. The 3.8 miles back home at the end of the parade - after riding on the drums for one mile in the route - is the most scared I am driving a vehicle. There is little to no brake left.
I can't imagine getting stuck in a 5 mile line of stop and go traffic from an accident or similar with an all drum car or truck then having to stop hard. Therefore my convertible is stuck in its current life of parade duty only on really nice days where I know what is in front of me and I have plenty of time to plan ahead. I would never tow with it or drive it in ANY traffic and won't until I get the brakes converted to discs. Drums just are not as safe as discs.

Look at it this way. Don't do it for yourself. Do it for the Dodge minivan full of kids with an inattentive mom talking on her cell phone that just blew through a stop sign with you coming straight on at a 90 degree angle. You gonna be able to sleep at night when the last thing that kid strapped to the outboard seat saw was the grill of a '68 C20 coming at him with the driver putting everything into the brake and not getting anything?
Sounds like your brakes are messed up, maybe old, hard brake pads or not properly adjusted, possibly you have a messed up proportioning valve, that is the most over looked component of the brake system.

In Central OK they do great. Daily driving 70 miles to Tulsa and going out to the drag strip running in the 12's on an old mopar, hot lapping it and getting off at the first exit to turn around.

Maybe he should go with this setup since drums are barely a step up from the flintstones brakes.
Attached Images

Old 02-17-2012, 01:03 PM   #22
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Quote:
Originally Posted by robzilla View Post
do the lines need to be changed? or will the existing lines, which have been changed recently, work?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stocker View Post
I'm pretty sure that my '72, with stock front discs, has different sized lines to the front than to the rear. I'll check in the morning.
Looks like 1/4" lines to the rear drums and 3/16" to the front discs.

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Old 02-17-2012, 01:12 PM   #23
Michael Star

Discs over drums anyday. It is a night and day difference from when I go from the truck to my jag. Even though they are powered assit drums, the jag's massive disks (about a half an inch smaller than the truck's rims!!!) make slowing a car that weighs about what the truck weighs no contest. Then again the jag is made to go much faster than the truck.
Michael Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 10:48 AM   #24
HeavyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsnookmaster View Post
drum brakes will fade from repeated hard braking. There's a reason why all new vehicles come with 4 wheel discs, they work better! .02
x2
Old 02-18-2012, 12:50 PM   #25
Beat68CST

The brakes on our old Vette worked great, had all drums, at the time it was runnin 11.70's at 120mph.

Just be sure to adjust em all correctly and you're set.

Also, I've heard of people getting shoes matched to drums, I guess they change the arch? My neighbor was tellin me about it and said it woke his old Fraud up big time when he got on the brakes.
Beat68CST is offline   Reply With Quote