The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-21-2012, 11:58 AM   #1
MalibuKasey
Artist

Gas guzzling alternatives

So as gas prices go up and my profit per month goes down... Ive been thinking alot of different solutions or options for the old truck....

This morning I was thinking of the 153 4 cyl that the Novas had in the 60s. Back it with a t5... maybe a marine head for a "little" added power.

So what have you guys been thinking of?
Attached Images

Last edited by MalibuKasey; 02-21-2012 at 12:14 PM.
MalibuKasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 12:22 PM   #2
61_FL_Apache
Who Me?

Re: Gas guzzling alternatives

Nea!! There is no replacement for displacement!!

Everytime I mash the hammer, im stimulating the economy!!

1997 Tahoe LT 4D 2WD (DD)
2001 Blazer 4D 2WD
1961 Apache 10 (sold)
1965 C10 Stepper (sold)
61_FL_Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 12:22 PM   #3
biohazardbill

How often do you drive it... ? My $.02 is drive something else the majority of the time. We have a 454 in out burban that is going to just drink the gas.. but so be it. I could see maybe lesser fuel alternatives if this was a daily driver, but if it is a toy, why bother?
biohazardbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 12:29 PM   #4
MalibuKasey
Artist

within the next bit it is going to be forced into daily driver duties....
Old 02-21-2012, 12:33 PM   #5
az65

sometimes those little engines have to work so hard it makes it counterproductive in terms of saving gas. I personally focus on transmission, rear-end gears, tuning and driving to get better gas mileage.
'66 Charger w/ 36k og miles
and a handful of bimmers
az65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 12:34 PM   #6
Corts60
Just here to tinker

Installing that 4 cyl. in your truck may get your desired results of profit gains because you'll never want to drive it after you cry over the performance.

I would say swap it over to diesel but these days I am not even sure that is worth it anymore unless it was already installed. I would consider getting a cheap daily driver (my old '94 corolla got 32 mpg consistently) and save your truck for the weekends. Just my opinion.
Corts60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 12:42 PM   #7
MalibuKasey
Artist

Well thats what Ive been think too. however there is still going to be a 6-8 month period where the old truck is the daily. The new motor is going to suck some gas... but it will have a 700r4.. so that will help.

And... Im not saying im doing the 4cyl thing.... it had crossed my mind and the made me research it a little.
Old 02-21-2012, 01:22 PM   #8
61_FL_Apache
Who Me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by biohazardbill View Post
How often do you drive it... ? My $.02 is drive something else the majority of the time. We have a 454 in out burban that is going to just drink the gas.. but so be it. I could see maybe lesser fuel alternatives if this was a daily driver, but if it is a toy, why bother?
Mine is a daily driver. With the 305 I get 13mpg. I drive it about 1,000 miles per month. Its not too bad.. Im glad I dont have the 454 you have, but I do in out motorhome and it gets 6mpg!! OUCH!!

2001 Blazer 4D 2WD
1961 Apache 10 (sold)
1965 C10 Stepper (sold)
Old 02-21-2012, 01:37 PM   #9
hd74

i have a 454 in suburan and i get 15 mpg to o mpg it just depends on the right foot and it is close to a dailey driver
hd74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 01:39 PM   #10
61_FL_Apache
Who Me?

Im getting 15-19 in my Tahoe, but I dont look as cool in that, so I take the gas hit with the 61.

2001 Blazer 4D 2WD
1961 Apache 10 (sold)
1965 C10 Stepper (sold)
Old 02-21-2012, 01:40 PM   #11
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

This is a great thread topic, and thanks for posting. It will probably result in some good ideas that could help improve economy in our trucks.

When they finally outlaw gasoline I’m just going to swap in a universal neutron cell with my own adapter to keep the manual 4 speed. Since the neutron cell will have no moving parts, run silently, and never wear out, I’m finally going to install a huge stereo system so I can generate big block supercharged engine noises from under the hood!

But seriously, having lived through the gas crisis of the mid 70’s I just don’t have much enthusiasm for investing good money to make old vehicles fuel efficient in the modern sense. A lot of people back then traded in their mint condition gas guzzlers for expensive new cars which provided better gas mileage. Most never came close to recovering the lost investment in fuel savings. They saved gas but lost a lot of money.

And from a hot rodders perspective, available technology changed overnight. Normal performance carburetors were rebranded “racing” parts and the cost doubled. In their place all the new efficiency models flooded the market and magazine advertising. I actually paid good money for a couple of “smog carbs” that ran like complete crap. Economy cam grinds became a hot magazine topic, anti-reversion headers, along with high rear end gears, lightweight engine fans, and a bunch of other stuff all the way to cow magnets on the fuel line. It was an era that set enthusiasts back a lot of money, and turned out to be a fad that came and went leaving little history it ever even happened.

It’s like removing a perfectly functional TH350 for the improved gas savings of a 700R4. There’s no question the overdrive transmission is more efficient and saves on engine wear and mileage, but if there’s nothing wrong with the 350, it could arguably take 10 years of gas savings to pay back the initial investment of installing the 700R4. The same could be argued about changing to a smaller or newer more efficient engine.

Our trucks are heavy and about as aerodynamic as a brick. Mileage expectations of new cars can be near 30-40 mpg. I can’t imagine the investment needed to get one our trucks up to that range. My solution is to drive a 10 year old CRV for daily chores and keep the old truck for the weekends.
markeb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 01:45 PM   #12
61_FL_Apache
Who Me?

With my last tranny rebuild I wanted to go with the 700r4 for those reasons, but the cash was not available to make that change. Maybe next time.

2001 Blazer 4D 2WD
1961 Apache 10 (sold)
1965 C10 Stepper (sold)
Old 02-21-2012, 01:59 PM   #13
jonathan-m

Just buy a motorcycle

Old 02-21-2012, 01:59 PM   #14
MisterC

I've given some thought to this very same subject, but quickly dismissed the idea of making a change from my V-8. I've found that as the price of gas goes up, so does my complaining about the price, but the amount of driving that I do never goes down.

I make adjustments elsewhere in my monthly budget, but up until now, reducing the amount of gas that I use has not been a priority to me.
350 V-8 - Powerglide

My not so much a build thread as a "Slow Progression Thread":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=486894
MisterC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 02:54 PM   #15
csa daddy

Well the 700r helps alot but we need to stop the rise of gas prices if every body would boy cot the gas company's we maybe able to bring it down. It don't matter if it's a old truck or not none of them get good mileage. If your luck you can get between 15 to 20 With the 700r in a ol truck I had a 68 that I put the 700 in In place of a three speed an got 17-18 mpg
Posted via Mobile Device
csa daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 03:21 PM   #16
krazy_texan

those little 4 bangers might have worked in a nova but i am willing to bet even a stripped down shortbed is considerably heavier than a nova so the amount of effort it would take that motor to propel your truck down the road would not increase your gas mileage at all. in all honesty if most of your driving is done in town i suggest either a 230 or 250 inline 6 with a 1bbl carb. i have a 250 in my truck and i do actually pretty good on gas so long as i stay off the highway.
1990 v1500 suburban
1967 Ford f100 Swb 4x4 "green bean"

GOD BLESS JESUS, JOHN WAYNE, AND THE ALAMO
krazy_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 04:39 PM   #17
SS317

I've been thinking about installing a CNG system so I can switch between CNG and gasoline. I live in an area where they drill natural gas a lot and use my truck for business, so I can advertise that I use it and get more business.
SS317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 05:01 PM   #18
argonaut

I think you should be able to get around 18 mpg with a sbc, overdrive transmission and the right rear diff gears. And also the right carb. Something in a q-jet style with small primaries will help a lot on driveability and fuel mileage.

My 350 with a th400 could get 14 on mostly highway driving back and forth to school. I had 275/60R15 tires and 3:73 gears and a quadrajet carb. I think if I had overdrive and higher gears i could have easily gotten around 18-20 if i drove nicely. Of course I put a 396 in it instead so now I get 11 mpg....

The best would be to put in a small vortec motor and trans from a new model truck as a complete swap. but that isn't exactly cheap.

1972 K5 Blazer CST, Turquoise
1966 K20 Short Fleet Pickup, Big Ugly
1964 C10 Short Fleet, Gertrude

2001 Porsche 911 Carrera
1996 Ford Bronco XLT
1980 Jeep Wagoneer

2008 Honda CBR1000RR
2005 Honda RC51
1981 Honda CB750C

No dis-assemble Johnny Five! No dis-assemble!
argonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 05:15 PM   #19
argonaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan-m View Post
Just buy a motorcycle
Agreed! Both of these get more than double what the truck can...from the gas tank and on the speedo.

1972 K5 Blazer CST, Turquoise
1966 K20 Short Fleet Pickup, Big Ugly
1964 C10 Short Fleet, Gertrude

2001 Porsche 911 Carrera
1996 Ford Bronco XLT
1980 Jeep Wagoneer

2008 Honda CBR1000RR
2005 Honda RC51
1981 Honda CB750C

No dis-assemble Johnny Five! No dis-assemble!
argonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 05:25 PM   #20
forestb

How many years of driving will it take before the price you would have spent in gas matches how much the 153 costs plus installation.
forestb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 06:46 PM   #21
jonzcustomshop
1961 crewcab

I would really like to go battery power, there is a guy near here that converted his s10, has a big generator bolted right up to an auto transmission, then all the batteries are under the bed ... has about a 90 mile range, which would be perfect, I probably never do that a day in town...
setup cost-vs- gas probably a moot point... kinda like what I looked into for my house, a wind mill/generator or solar panels at least 30k+ by the time they start paying for themselves I'm in a retirement home, and don't care anymore
jonzcustomshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 06:56 PM   #22
Corts60
Just here to tinker

My '76 Nova had a 396 with a mild cam, Holley replacement for factory q-jet, Saginaw 4-speed and 2:43 gears in the rear. I pulled 16 MPG's on the highway. I think that era Nova is comparable to a short bed fender-side truck in weight.
Corts60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 07:24 PM   #23
joedoh

I have a 2.2 SFI powered 65 C10. it has 120hp and 140lb ft and more than keeps up with traffic, never feels under powered unless I am trying to race, and cruises at 75 mph on the highway effortlessly. I have only been tracking the mileage for a couple weeks but its looking close to 21-23mpg combined highway/city, mostly city, with a couple gallons of four year old gas in the first tank and a big vacuum leak in the booster. it can only go up.

the donor s10 cost less than zero once I sold all the parts worth selling and scrapping the rest. One of my greatest satisfactions is checking this forum and seeing all the common questions: 5 lug swap, disk brakes, rear gear swap, air conditioning, heater upgrades, rusty gas tanks, relocated gas tanks, power steering, you name it, and knowing I solved them ALL in one fell swoop.

doowatchoolyke.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 07:33 PM   #24
mikesacs

I'm installing a 6.2L diesel in my 60 burb. Adding a banks turbo and expect low 20's for the MPG.

The donor 6.2 came from a 90 burb that I bought for $1500 and drove it home. I'll use the engine, 700r4, and the transfer case from the 90.
mikesacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 07:47 PM   #25
PAPA KENT

Quote:
Originally Posted by markeb01 View Post
this is a great thread topic, and thanks for posting. It will probably result in some good ideas that could help improve economy in our trucks.

When they finally outlaw gasoline i’m just going to swap in a universal neutron cell with my own adapter to keep the manual 4 speed. Since the neutron cell will have no moving parts, run silently, and never wear out, i’m finally going to install a huge stereo system so i can generate big block supercharged engine noises from under the hood!

But seriously, having lived through the gas crisis of the mid 70’s i just don’t have much enthusiasm for investing good money to make old vehicles fuel efficient in the modern sense. A lot of people back then traded in their mint condition gas guzzlers for expensive new cars which provided better gas mileage. Most never came close to recovering the lost investment in fuel savings. They saved gas but lost a lot of money.

And from a hot rodders perspective, available technology changed overnight. Normal performance carburetors were rebranded “racing” parts and the cost doubled. In their place all the new efficiency models flooded the market and magazine advertising. I actually paid good money for a couple of “smog carbs” that ran like complete crap. Economy cam grinds became a hot magazine topic, anti-reversion headers, along with high rear end gears, lightweight engine fans, and a bunch of other stuff all the way to cow magnets on the fuel line. It was an era that set enthusiasts back a lot of money, and turned out to be a fad that came and went leaving little history it ever even happened.

It’s like removing a perfectly functional th350 for the improved gas savings of a 700r4. There’s no question the overdrive transmission is more efficient and saves on engine wear and mileage, but if there’s nothing wrong with the 350, it could arguably take 10 years of gas savings to pay back the initial investment of installing the 700r4. The same could be argued about changing to a smaller or newer more efficient engine.

Our trucks are heavy and about as aerodynamic as a brick. Mileage expectations of new cars can be near 30-40 mpg. I can’t imagine the investment needed to get one our trucks up to that range. My solution is to drive a 10 year old crv for daily chores and keep the old truck for the weekends.
i totally agree with mark and think he hit it on the head.this "has" been a question that seems to come up every 20 years or so but the bottom line which several people have mentioned here is how long it will take to pay for the investment from a 2-5-10 mile a gallon increase.my thought is install whatever is cost effective or what power plant that you have collecting dust that makes you happy.
PAPA KENT is offline   Reply With Quote