The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-22-2012, 04:26 PM   #1
BAMO

New Exhaust = Idle Change? - Help

Pretty much what the title says. I swapped out my old rusted out 1.75" frankenstined exhaust yesterday for a 2" dual exhaust. After about 10 minutes of driving, I noticed the engine start to sputter at idle. (started to notice something amiss about 3 blocks after I started driving).

Once I got home, I adjusted the idle screw on the Rochester GV and issue is resolved (for now anyway). So the question is, would the new exhaust effect the fuel mixture in this way? I've read that it could, since the engine is now breathing better potentially the mixture could/would be too lean as a result.

Thoughts or other likely culprits? Since it is the only thing that changed from day to day figured there had to be a correlation, but figured I'd throw it out there to make sure (not that I don't have other carb tinkering to do, but just want to narrow down the gremlins, or at least their causes.
BAMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 04:45 PM   #2
61_FL_Apache
Who Me?

Re: New Exhaust = Idle Change? - Help

I would think it is now breating better. More back pressue may keep the idle up? What were your old mufflers and what is on there now?

1997 Tahoe LT 4D 2WD (DD)
2001 Blazer 4D 2WD
1961 Apache 10 (sold)
1965 C10 Stepper (sold)
61_FL_Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 06:19 PM   #3
BAMO

Definitely breathing better and sounds much better too. The old muffler was just stock. Now it has two turbo style flow through jobs - much less restrictive.
Old 02-22-2012, 09:12 PM   #4
HEI451
Account Suspended

More air flow requires more fuel to keep the air/fuel ratio correct.
HEI451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 09:17 PM   #5
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

As noted the problem is most likely a lean condition, but one other thing to check is the heat riser valve. I once had a new exhaust system installed and the shop installed an oversize flange that blocked the heat riser from opening completely. I didn't discover what was wrong until the engine overheated and blew the head gasket on that side.
markeb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 09:27 PM   #6
BAMO

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEI451 View Post
More air flow requires more fuel to keep the air/fuel ratio correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by markeb01 View Post
As noted the problem is most likely a lean condition, but one other thing to check is the heat riser valve. I once had a new exhaust system installed and the shop installed an oversize flange that blocked the heat riser from opening completely. I didn't discover what was wrong until the engine overheated and blew the head gasket on that side.
Good, then the problem is likely that and I'll make some adjustments on the mixture rather than just dialing the idle up.

On a related note (and yes dumb question) but where do I look to make sure they didn't block the heat riser (the stock ram horns are in place, nothing was touched there).
Old 02-22-2012, 10:01 PM   #7
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

If you have one it will be directly below the outlet of the passenger side exhaust manifold, above the headpipe. It will have a visible thermostatic spring and a bob weight on the pivot pin. With the engine cold so you don't burn yourself, you should be able to reach down and cycle the weight through about 90 degrees to fully open and close the valve. It looks like this:

Old 02-23-2012, 01:12 PM   #8
BAMO

Quote:
Originally Posted by markeb01 View Post
If you have one it will be directly below the outlet of the passenger side exhaust manifold, above the headpipe. It will have a visible thermostatic spring and a bob weight on the pivot pin. With the engine cold so you don't burn yourself, you should be able to reach down and cycle the weight through about 90 degrees to fully open and close the valve.
Ok, found it but mine looks to be rusted shut or "altered". So two more questions. What is the purpose of it in terms of the valve (can I just replace with one without the valve) and what is the easiest way to change, i.e. remove the manifold or remove headpipe/exhaust and come at it from below.

Last edited by BAMO; 02-23-2012 at 01:32 PM.
Old 02-23-2012, 02:32 PM   #9
BAMO

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAMO View Post
Ok, found it but mine looks to be rusted shut or "altered". So two more questions. What is the purpose of it in terms of the valve (can I just replace with one without the valve) and what is the easiest way to change, i.e. remove the manifold or remove headpipe/exhaust and come at it from below.
Never mind. Talked to exhaust guy and whatever alteration there was left it in the "open" position so effectively there is no heat riser.
Old 02-23-2012, 03:19 PM   #10
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Although they are handy for faster cold weather starts, not having one won't burn up your engine like it can if it gets stuck in the closed position.
Old 02-23-2012, 03:35 PM   #11
BAMO

Thanks for the help.