The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-23-2012, 03:50 AM   #1
Shanehenrymusic

1955 pickup w/ camaro subframe advice

Hey Guys -

I haven't posted to this forum in a while because I moved to LA and had to leave my Truck back in Oklahoma. However I am going to be back there in march for a month and I have some questions about my Frame setup. Back in December I purchased a 55 frame that was setup with a 79 Trans am front clip and rear end for $400 (I figured i couldn't lose at that price). The workmanship looks right, but I was wondering how I could measure and verify that the clip was properly installed. I've read a lot of people move the wheelbase forward an inch or two.. This one measures 114 3/4. It looks very similar to the method that No Limit uses. I also wanted to get recommendations for the rear end. I know a lot of people use the 4 link kits, however I've hear that leaf springs ride better... thoughts? I'm also attaching pics of the frame. Thanks for your help! - Shane
Attached Images

Shanehenrymusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 06:28 AM   #2
Red Foreman

Re: 1955 pickup w/ camaro subframe advice

G'day Shane, when I clipped my 56 gmc I went an extra 3/4" to get the look I want. The 58-59 guy's like to go an 1 1/2" plus because of the front fender wheel arc, btw looking at your pictures your chassis looks neat, Good luck!
Red Foreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 10:26 PM   #3
tmoble

I can tell by looking at the graft your's is not going to be nearly as low as some. you won't need to lower the rear nearly as much as I did. That deal looks pretty good to me.
tmoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 03:48 AM   #4
Shanehenrymusic

Any suggestions on how to get the front end lower. I assume drop spindles and possible modified springs? thanks - Shane
Old 02-24-2012, 07:18 AM   #5
fabguy
Elev8r Man

The frame looks great, as far as wheel base it sounds right to center up in wheelwells. If you want it lower try drop spindles & airbags. The rear section looks like it is missing several inches from it.(after the last crossmember) where the bumper brackets bolt up but it may just be me.
Posted via Mobile Device

My F.B. project page.
fabguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 10:54 AM   #6
tmoble

What fabguy said. what are those right angle brackets hanging off the rear crossmember? don't look familiar to me. is this a 55 1st series deal?
Old 02-24-2012, 10:56 AM   #7
tmoble

pull the front springs, cut 1/2 coil off them and re-install. But I wouldn't do any of this adjusting of ride height till the truck is more or less complete. Not much point of fiddling with the height with no engine or body.
Old 02-24-2012, 11:49 AM   #8
mr48chev

That's a pretty clean looking graft with that subframe. It may set just a bit higher than a lot of guys like but you can tend to that aspect after the truck is all together.
As far as the measured wheelbase and where the wheels set that is a preference thing. Most guy move the wheels forward a bit during the graft just to get the wheels/tires perfectly centered in the wheel well opening or slightly forward of center to get the "perfect" look that they want.

I'd say you got a pretty good deal there.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 03:07 PM   #9
Shanehenrymusic

Fabguy - the rear crossmember has been moved to the back to the end of the frame to allow a rear mount fuel tank. It came with a new tank that came out of a mustang... what should i do with the rear end? The shock mounts are way too low.
Old 02-25-2012, 12:12 PM   #10
Maximus

That frame looks like it was assembles just as i did mine, the No-Limit video way, but you already know this...
The wheel base im not sure about, I never measured mine after the conversion but I can try to measure mine this weekend.
I don't want my truck to be scraping on speed bumps, so with Hotchkis lowering springs it lowered the front end about 1.5" after the subframe set the stance, and I really like how its sitting, aggressive but still very drivable...
you can check out my build page for my ride height.
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 01:17 PM   #11
Shanehenrymusic

Maximus -

The stance of your truck looks great. Did you just install the springs or did you also install drop spindles? What did you do to the rear end? I'm debating on whether to upgrade the old worn out leaf springs or go with a 4 link set up...been looking at TCI's and No Limit's stuff.. Any thoughts?

Thanks!
-Shane