The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-23-2012, 12:26 PM   #1
Maximus

Found this Article about a quad cab 57 Napco, thought you guys might wanna see it

sifting through google searches i ran into this article about this custom quad cab. thought you guys might wanna see it...

If ya ask me, he should have either made the cab 3" shorter or should have moved the axle back far enough to center the rear fender on the shortened bed. the fender is just too close to the cab to look right...
regardless, Very very clean, period correct truck. that's why I thought it was cool.

http://bringatrailer.com/2011/11/17/...let-napco-4x4/

Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 12:32 PM   #2
Maximus

Re: Found this Article about a quad cab 57 Napco, thought you guys might wanna see it

Since i already brought the NAPCO topic up, here is that promotional video from 1957 that is floating around the web...

http://westcountyexplorersclub.org/2...bs-pikes-peak/
Old 02-23-2012, 01:10 PM   #3
mr48chev

Re: Found this Article about a quad cab 57 Napco, thought you guys might wanna see it

He didn't build it himself though, it was sent straight to the Oreville Metal Specialty Co from either the factory or from Neapco after the 4x conversion. It could have been made better looking but then it wouldn't be an "original" style double conversion.

That's a good looking restoration as most of those trucks had the living daylights beat out of them in the woods or on job sites.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 04:13 PM   #4
Maximus

Ya, I never knew Oreville Metal Specialty Co made these back in the 50's.
Old 02-23-2012, 05:52 PM   #5
OrrieG

A lot of them were made for Air Force crew flight line transport. I have seen a couple in Idaho, tried for years to buy one in Horseshoe Bend. There is also a late 50's, early 60's International original crew running around Boise.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 06:51 PM   #6
Maximus

yea, the International quad cabs were called Travelettes

Last edited by Maximus; 02-23-2012 at 07:09 PM.
Old 02-23-2012, 09:41 PM   #7
YBNORML

One of the coolest "factory" trucks I have ever seen. I never even knew they did conversiond this far back. Does anyone know when they started doing crewcab's?

68’ GMC shortbox
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=794201

72' 2WD Blazer
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=425385

67' LongBox C-10
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=691845

InstaGram ybnorml67
YBNORML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 10:15 PM   #8
mknittle

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrieG View Post
A lot of them were made for Air Force crew flight line transport. I have seen a couple in Idaho, tried for years to buy one in Horseshoe Bend. There is also a late 50's, early 60's International original crew running around Boise.
I remember seeing one in the early 80s There was a groupe training At camp far west lake they had a 57 like that painted a faded blue with yellow lettering. it had a frame with a sort of spring loaded catapuult mounted in the back. they backed on to a dock and set up an ejection seat on the catapault.
they would strap a pilot with full gear and launcH him seat and all into the lake. I wanted a ride but they laughed and said no.

Thanks for bringing that memory back.LOL

My GMC build.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=536602
mknittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 11:56 AM   #9
Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by YBNORML View Post
One of the coolest "factory" trucks I have ever seen. I never even knew they did conversiond this far back. Does anyone know when they started doing crewcab's?
as far as aftermarket conversions like that, im not sure... this is a excerpt from Wikipedia on trucks...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pickup_truck
"Crew cab

A true four-door pickup is a crew cab, double cab or dual cab. It features seating for up to five or six people with a rear bench seat and two full-size front-hinged doors on both sides. Crew cabs are not available in combination with the longest bed or box in some cases, particularly in lighter-duty models, to limit their overall length and required wheelbase.

International Harvester introduced the first crew cab in 1957.[4] It had 3-doors; the 4th door was added in 1961. The Toyota Stout had a full crew cab version in 1960.[5] Dodge followed with its own factory built crew cab in 1963.[6] Ford introduced its crew cab in 1965 and General Motors in 1973.[7] Through the 1980s, most crew cab pickup trucks were sold as heavy-duty (3/4 and 1 ton) models intended for commercial use, and custom vehicle builders such as Centurion built light-duty crew cabs for the personal-use market. Nissan offered the first US-market compact crew cab pickup in 2000;[8] Ford, GM, Dodge, Nissan and Toyota all introduced their own compact and 1/2 ton crew cab models in the 2000s as demand grew. In North America, for carpoolers, truck sales have increased as some American full-size cars have dropped the front bench seating feature from the lineup.[citation needed] Crew cabs were popular and widely available in other markets many years before they caught on in the US because of their superior passenger space.[citation needed]

Land Rover used what they described as crew cabs in the 1970s for their special vehicles (e.g. a crane mounted on the rear for street lighting maintenance) providing up to six seats so the whole work crew or gang could be accommodated.[citation needed] Land Rover introduced the (Defender) 127 Crew Cab at least in 1987.

Four-door compact pickup trucks are quite in vogue in most of the world, due to their increased passenger space and versatility in carrying non-rugged cargo. In the United States and Canada, however, four-door compact trucks were very slow to catch on, although eventually almost every brand offered this choice. In recent years seat belt laws, requirements of insurance companies and fear of litigation have increased the demand for four-door trucks which provide a safety belt for each passenger. In Mexico four-door compact pickups are quite popular."