The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-23-2012, 07:40 PM   #1
azsnow

Starter Issues.

I installed a brand new starter, battery, and wiring. I attempted to start the truck, and all the starter does is click. I can turn the motor over by hand, so its not the motor, I have 12.5V at the battery, and at the starter. I am getting tired of messing with this thing and ready to sell it! 10K takes it! Any ideas?
azsnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 09:01 PM   #2
nebdrummer

Re: Starter Issues.

Tap on the solenoid of the starter with a small bar/hammer to wiggle things around in there..

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=380212
nebdrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 11:08 PM   #3
oldcouple

Mine did that a time or two. Seems like it needed a shim to make it seat properly, the remanufactured ones sit deeper and jam.
Old 02-23-2012, 11:32 PM   #4
azsnow

Yeah I tapped on the solenoid...nothing. Removed it from the motor and tried to start it, again...same issue. Tomorrow I am going to make sure I have good grounds and go from there...
Old 02-24-2012, 12:06 AM   #5
Rude Dude

Attach a ground to starter and leave it electrically hooked up but not physically attched to the motor if it engages and spin's then the starter is could be binding against flywheel may need to be shimed or possibly wrong tooth flywheel. Dont know if you are using an auto or manual tranny, if automatic gm has two different ring gears on flew plate.
Rude Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 10:20 AM   #6
B_Hix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rude Dude View Post
Attach a ground to starter and leave it electrically hooked up but not physically attched to the motor if it engages and spin's then the starter is could be binding against flywheel may need to be shimed or possibly wrong tooth flywheel. Dont know if you are using an auto or manual tranny, if automatic gm has two different ring gears on flew plate.
My thoughts exactly ^^ - BE careful, but spin that starter electrically while it's not hooked up. If it's good you likely have a binding issue - make sure when that gear is coming out it is engaging the teeth of the flywheel, not hitting the face of them.

If the stater is good and you can turn the flywheel with a turner then it's def an alignment issue.
B_Hix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 11:15 AM   #7
tmoble

check the grounds. 57 has the battery ground to the body and a ground strap from body to engine. I think. I ran the battery ground directly to the engine and straps from the engine to the frame and engine to body.
tmoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 11:31 AM   #8
azsnow

Yeah I pulled out the starter today and tested it....good to go. I can turn the motor over by hand, so thats good as well. I am running a brand new flex plate from Summit (168 tooth) and from everything I have seen, the starter for a 1978 Chevy truck (I have purchased everything using this model/year for HEI and compatability purposes) is a 168 tooth as well. I am going to try to relocate the ground to the motor, shim the starter, and see what happens then! I work the entire weekend, so if I get some time next week this will be my project! Thanks for the input, and I will keep ya posted!
Old 02-24-2012, 11:39 AM   #9
mr48chev

I'm with Tmoble and those who say to check the grounds.

Along with running the ground cable to the trucks block, make sure that there is bare metal under the eye on the cable for it to make good contact with. I've seen more than one that the guy put several coats of fresh paint on the engine and then didn't scrape a spot off for the cable to ground against.

Check each and every connection through the starter circuit. Both ends of each cable to make sure they are tight and not corroded inside. Make sure that the part that contacts the battery post is clean and that the posts are clean.

Make sure that the battery it's self is fully charged and in good condition.

Check with a meter to make sure that you are getting 12 V to the start post on the solenoid when you turn the key. There may be a resistance in the wire from the switch that is causing a voltage drop in that wire. A splice in that wire is usually a place for problems.

I'm with B Hix in that I usually hook the jumper cables to a starter and check it before I put it in the rig these days. + cable to the post the battery cable goes to - cable to one of the mounting ears or somewhere it can get a good contact and a screwdriver across the start post should spin it over. I usually hold them down on the shop floor with my foot.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 11:41 AM   #10
tmoble

>>>> "I usually hold them down on the shop floor with my foot."

Ahhh, the traditional approach.

Many years (decades?) I had one get away, spun over on the floor, shorted the jumper cables, blew the jumper battery. whatta mess.
tmoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 02:28 PM   #11
oldcouple

Found this thread, hope it helps. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...+saftey+switch
Old 03-04-2012, 09:38 AM   #12
la hi

Thanks for the tips guys, I had the same problem as the author this morning. I went to the garage, wired brushed the paint off the new engine at the ground bolt, turned the key and the starter works. All of that after I made sure the battery was fully charged and the battery cables were clean and tight.
However I did not find a cab to frame ground strap, where should it be?
thanks,
larry
la hi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 11:24 AM   #13
Wrenchbender Ret

There is a heavy cable that runs from in back of the bat. to the frame.
Wrenchbender Ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 08:31 PM   #14
azsnow

I just ran my ground to the intake maniforld, and then another cable from the motor to the frame, so on Tuesday we will see if this works (working from now till then)
Old 03-04-2012, 09:09 PM   #15
drivea55

I also had the same issue, 2 shims and she fired right up. If its too close it will just click as if it doesn't have enough juice.

Good luck!

Brian

SOLD to "ONEBADFIVEFIVE"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=436406
drivea55 is offline   Reply With Quote