The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-29-2012, 04:04 PM   #1
ozzyman

Question Power Steering & Brakes

I keep seeing all these threads about converting to power steering and brakes, lots of fabricating and special brackets required.

My question is my family's 66' C20 fleet long bed w/327 has had power brakes and power steering since the late 60's. So I guess I'm confused why all the special attention? Is it just that earlier parts are easier to find/cheaper?

eventually I'd like to swap out my front cross member to a earlier 8 lug w/ disks will this cause issues with my current power steering/power brake setup. The truck already has a dual master cylinder btw.

~Mike
ozzyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 12:06 AM   #2
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Re: Power Steering & Brakes

These trucks did have the option of power steering and brakes. The power steering is actually a power assist steering, and has it's faults even though it is the same as what was used on the Corvette's thru 1982. The integral power steering box, is readily available, more trouble free, and more responsive, even in a standard ratio box. There are also quicker ratio boxes avalable.

As for the power brakes, they seem to be pretty decent in original form. They just aren't as easily obtainable as many of the more modern vacuum boosters. The booster brackets I make, are designed around vacuum boosters that are readily available in most wrecking yards. The dual reservior master cylinders which are necessary for disc brakes, require a custom made intermediate pushrod to work on an original booster, whereas they are a direct bolt on, with a newer booster. Another advantage with my booster bracket is the available option of easily running a hydrobooster.

So it sounds like your truck may have been converted to PS and PB in the late 60's. Not knowing just what was used it is hard to tell what you may run into when converting to disc brakes.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 03:38 AM   #3
blackedoutharley
Account Suspended

I would assume that the C/20 spindles from '73 up would be adaptable to the '66 suspension just as we do with the 1/2 tons.

Much easier to just change spindles than an entire crossmember.

(Yes Ozz, we're "neighbors")
blackedoutharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 12:48 PM   #4
ozzyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackedoutharley View Post
I would assume that the C/20 spindles from '73 up would be adaptable to the '66 suspension just as we do with the 1/2 tons.

Much easier to just change spindles than an entire crossmember.

(Yes Ozz, we're "neighbors")

I thought their was some differences with the C20 lower control arms that made it difficult. could be wrong.

I pick the truck up in a few weeks might have to hit you up for some info down the road
ozzyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 12:23 AM   #5
trevrolet65

My 3/4 lower's are bigger than any 1/2 ton I have seen. All the center link and tie rod ends are the same 73 - 87 cept, the idlers are big or small on both tonages. I'm going big idler on the 82 c-member/65 long step heavy half.
trevrolet65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 12:45 AM   #6
trevrolet65

I need the gear box bracket the capt. builds for starters. How does Tues. or Wed. sound? I don't know much about the older 3/4 ton drums. But the 9.5 backer plates fit the 10.5 full floaters useing the same shoes.
trevrolet65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 02:06 AM   #7
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

The '63-'66 C20 and C30 lower control arm shafts are flat as compared to the '67 and up which are round like the C10's. This makes switching control arms on a '63-'66 C20 or C30 not such a simple operation. However you should be able to just change the ball joints and install a C20 disc brake spindle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzyman View Post
I thought their was some differences with the C20 lower control arms that made it difficult. could be wrong.

I pick the truck up in a few weeks might have to hit you up for some info down the road
Old 04-18-2013, 06:57 PM   #8
Budman56

Instruction / photos needed for power steering hook up

anyone here have photo's of what the power steering set up should look like on a 65. I have v8 motor, I just got all the power steering parts but dont have the instruction sheet to show how the brackets on the pump are to bolt to the motor and the brackets on the steer box to the frame. any help would be great

......................_____
.........________//__{\_____
,,,,,,,/__(O)___//___/__(O)_/
Budman56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:56 PM   #9
yelmer

Is it a factory unit or after market?
yelmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 12:38 AM   #10
Budman56

Quote:
Originally Posted by yelmer View Post
Is it a factory unit or after market?
not factory I believe that its after market

Old 04-19-2013, 12:44 AM   #11
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Is your "V8 motor" a small block Chevy? If so does it have the short water pump as it should, or does it have the long water pump?

If the steering box adapter plate is one of mine, I can email you the installation instructions. If it is not mine, my instructions won't help.
Old 04-20-2013, 02:55 PM   #12
Budman56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainfab View Post
Is your "V8 motor" a small block Chevy? If so does it have the short water pump as it should, or does it have the long water pump?

If the steering box adapter plate is one of mine, I can email you the installation instructions. If it is not mine, my instructions won't help.

Yes short water pump, yes v8, no on your steering adapter, I think. I will take photos and post them