The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-03-2012, 01:15 PM   #1
mr57

Panel wiring questions

Got a question or two for the wiring gurus here.

I have a 64 swb Chevy panel that needs some help with the wiring. First of all there is nothing going to the taillights, just wiring hanging down behind the rear wheel wells. I probably will try to go with a repro harness, but is there anything different between the panel and a regular truck? Other than the taillights seem to sit a bit higher?? Are there repro harnesses available for this application? Either a panel or 'burb?? I did a quick google, but couldn't find anything definitive one way or another.

Second question is this. Soemtime in it's past the front sheetmetal was swapped out for GMC parts, and I kind of like the 4 headlights and would like to keep it. Is there a specific wiring harness for the four headlight system? Again, it looks like parts of it were robbed at some point in time and a new harness would be the best option. GMC specific??

Thanks in advance!
mr57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 02:37 PM   #2
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Re: Panel wiring questions

I can help with the second question. The headlight wiring from the radiator bulkhead to the dimmer switch is identical in these trucks, regardless of grille & headlights. The only difference between the 2 headlight and 4 headlight wiring is in the harness that attaches to the grille and plugs into the bulkhead connector on the drivers side of the radiator. It simply has a couple of extra wires to hook up the high beam lamps in a 4 lamp system.

You can buy a direct replacement harness from any of the regular classic truck suppliers. Here's an example. It's the same for both Chevy and GMC with 4 headlights:

http://www.classicparts.com/1960-61-...ctinfo/52-561/

To simplify the differences between the two harnesses, check out the diagram on the following link:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=387693

Ignoring everything but the headlight connections, the 4 headlight harness looks like the diagram. The two headlight harness doesn't have the extra green wire going to the high beam bulbs because there aren't any. That's the only difference.

Should you choose to upgrade the output of your lighting system, the above thread does explain how to add relays adding power to the headlight system.

Last edited by markeb01; 03-03-2012 at 02:45 PM.
markeb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 03:13 PM   #3
Turkey

For the 1st question I just replaced my harness from the firewall to the rear in my '65. There is plenty of length to the harness so you shouldn't have a problem even though the lights are slightly higher. I bought mine from classic parts and am happy with the fit. Just remember that your light brackets are the ground so clean them up real good or jump a ground from the bracket to the truck.
Old 03-04-2012, 02:55 AM   #4
suzq044
Resident Photoshop Nerd

I would like to know how the original wires were run; Ours are still plugged in and functional, but the wire seems to disappear under the metal paneling (for lack of better term) on the interior; so I was wondering if we were to redo the wiring (as he will probably want to do eventually), how the bleep you get to the other end of the wire.

There's GOT to be access to the inner rear-fender SOMEWHERE from in the cab. Our previous owner did some "custom work" to the interior so we can't see the actual metal right now; and I was wondering if we just don't see an access panel or an ability to remove the inner paneling (I get that it's structural, but you'd think there'd be a way to remove it temporarily, for fender benders 'n such.. [link to pic] so I don't clog up the thread.

Last edited by suzq044; 03-04-2012 at 03:05 AM.
suzq044 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 09:20 PM   #5
northern 85

I checked with my friend who has a stock 65 panel and he said the rear harness should be like a truck it runs down the frame then up ito the body.
northern 85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 11:04 AM   #6
suzq044
Resident Photoshop Nerd

thanks for PMing me about this; it doesn't surprise me that it's wired 'wrong' tho..
Old 03-07-2012, 12:21 PM   #7
chevy_mike
Never Ending Projects

Agree, my '65 panel has the wiring running to the back, just like the trucks, down the frame.
1965 Chevy C10, Long, Fleetside, Hot Rod C10 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=415702 SOLD

We were given two ears and one mouth for a reason... listen twice as much and speak half as often...
chevy_mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 01:29 PM   #8
suzq044
Resident Photoshop Nerd

.. as i replied in the PM that wire was for the open-door switch; when it opens the interior lighting (non-existant) is supposed to turn on. Now my noob-butt knows. LOL

we'd still like to know about the access to the inside of that fender tho; bang out some serious dents left by yrs of abuse.. [LINK] again, I mean, it's wrapped around so u can't even get to the reverse light..

and I apologize to the original poster. Not trying to steal your thread. :\

Last edited by suzq044; 03-07-2012 at 01:35 PM.
suzq044 is offline   Reply With Quote