The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-05-2012, 07:28 PM   #1
GM-power

78 GMC sierra classic

Hello all, I am new here and have a question. The other day I looked at a 1978 gm sierra classic heavy-half. It has a brand new rebuilt 350 started two times. The motor needs to be mounted so that it can drive. The truck 135k on it, but it doesn't look to bad. The fenders and bedsides have the usual rust in the lower areas, but its not noticeable or very bad. The man selling the truck is a mechanic who has does all the work on our cars, so I know im not going to get screwed over. He has had I pulled and ridden inside and says it all tight and nothing isn't make noises it shouldn't be making. O and the interior is great has a seat cover but it doesn't bother me. So the price for the truck is 1500 to get it driving. Sound like a deal? I pretty set on buying it but just want to make sure im not making a bad decision.
P. S. Sorry I can't provide alot of details or pics I dont really know alot about cars and it completely passed my mind to take pics. Also this will be my first vehical ever. TIA and sorry for the long post
Posted via Mobile Device
GM-power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 07:53 PM   #2
terryj

Re: 78 GMC sierra classic

If the body is in good condition and your geting a rebuilt 350 all for 1500, I'd say that isn't a bad deal at all. That's about the market price for a late 70's squarebody in fair shape with out the rebuilt engine.
terryj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 08:43 PM   #3
JRANGER

Sounds like a good deal if the body is decent...I paid $1500 for mine...It was drivable and had $2500 is receipts since 2003 including a new engine....According to the DMV it was worth no less then $1500....They were trying to charge me extra on the tax cause the dude wrote $600 on the title for sale price...
JRANGER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 09:09 PM   #4
'79squared

Don't sound so bad. Its hard to find a rust free truck any how. In my area for that price they are hunted like big game and if you blink they are gone so you better jump if its what you want. Took me months to find a rust free for 2k with a good running 350 and some other plus'.
Old 03-05-2012, 09:25 PM   #5
|ow|ife

I'd go for it.
And since you said you don't know a lot about cars if you run into a snag the mechanic will know where to start since he's already been at least partway through it.

Make sure you know or he tells you the break-in procedure for a fresh rebuild (as far as when to swap out the break-in oil and what not)
use your skills, not your wallet
|ow|ife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 10:58 PM   #6
GM-power

Well im not totally stupid about vehicals. Just haven't lived enough to know alot. As far as the body it is straight besides some very minor rust. I think it wills be a sweet ride.
Posted via Mobile Device
GM-power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 11:09 PM   #7
|ow|ife

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM-power View Post
Well im not totally stupid about vehicals. Just haven't lived enough to know alot. As far as the body it is straight besides some very minor rust. I think it wills be a sweet ride.
Posted via Mobile Device
No worries; I'm not that long in the tooth myself. With the fresh rebuild you should be in good shape. Check the condition of the brake lines, give the wiring a once over (and clear out any wires that don't serve a purpose any more). This will make any resto work a lot easier later on. Otherwise order some parts catalogs and start drooling.
use your skills, not your wallet
|ow|ife is offline   Reply With Quote