The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-09-2012, 09:29 PM   #1
scotts72heavyhalf

Inner fender wells

OK, almost finished with the new wire harness, man that was a lot of work, nice stuff (American Autowire) but very time consuming and my fingers are killing me. Anyway, does anyone have any thoughts on when to mount the inner fender wells, I was thinking of doing it before I got the clip bak from paint but I dont know if that is a good plan or not?
Old 03-09-2012, 11:13 PM   #2
blkcorvair

Re: Inner fender wells

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotts72heavyhalf View Post
OK, almost finished with the new wire harness, man that was a lot of work, nice stuff (American Autowire) but very time consuming and my fingers are killing me. Anyway, does anyone have any thoughts on when to mount the inner fender wells, I was thinking of doing it before I got the clip bak from paint but I dont know if that is a good plan or not?
Put the whole clip (except hood) together first. Trust me, it will be hard enough to get all the lines where you want them without those inners in the way. Use blue tape on all the edges so you dont scratch nuthin trying to line it up. Get your cowl, and grille on too if you can. (I left the hood off and I had to re-ajust a fender to match the grille so I had to loosen everything on one side.) When your satisfied with the way the clip looks, jack up one side pull the wheel and slide the inner in. Leave everything loose til you have the the screws in. I taped the wheel arch and inner fender tips when I put them in. All is well!

Than now since everything is nice and sturdy get the hood on.
blkcorvair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 11:19 PM   #3
chevytruckluver
Eat, Sleep, Drive a Chevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkcorvair View Post
Put the whole clip (except hood) together first. Trust me, it will be hard enough to get all the lines where you want them without those inners in the way. Use blue tape on all the edges so you dont scratch nuthin trying to line it up. Get your cowl, and grille on too if you can. (I left the hood off and I had to re-ajust a fender to match the grille so I had to loosen everything on one side.) When your satisfied with the way the clip looks, jack up one side pull the wheel and slide the inner in. Leave everything loose til you have the the screws in. I taped the wheel arch and inner fender tips when I put them in. All is well!

Than now since everything is nice and sturdy get the hood on.
^ thats how I would do it also

72 Short Step
57 "big window" short step
chevytruckluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 11:58 PM   #4
scotts72heavyhalf

Well that sounds like a good plan, should have the clip by the first of the week and I will go buy a case of tape. Thanks for the help!
Old 03-10-2012, 08:38 AM   #5
blkcorvair

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotts72heavyhalf View Post
Well that sounds like a good plan, should have the clip by the first of the week and I will go buy a case of tape. Thanks for the help!
Believe it or not you want use that much tape. I bought 1 roll of 2" wide and one of 1" the standard blue tape. Did the the whole thing and have a bunch left over. Because the truck paint is new I would recommend you put it on right before you do a section and take it off right after you tighened the piece your working on. Even that blue stuff will stick if you leave it on overnight sometimes.
blkcorvair is offline   Reply With Quote