The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-11-2012, 07:05 PM   #1
Mccoleman830

Wipers won't return to off position

I'm having trouble with my windshield wipers. They work both on low and high, but when i turn them off from the switch they just stop right then and there. They won't return to the stored position. I have to constantly turn them on and off until they get to the fully down position. Anybody have this problem before? Any advise? Thanks.
Old 03-11-2012, 07:40 PM   #2
THE "10" SILVERADO

Re: Wipers won't return to off position

Pretty sure that's how they are supposed to work. Mine do the same thing.
Old 03-11-2012, 08:08 PM   #3
76stepsidechevy

You need to pull the cover off the wiper motor and bend the ground wiper a little bit so it makes contact again. They wear down or get out of adjustment over time and this it the result. The motor gets 12volts+ at all times and all the switching is done through ground. The wiper makes contact with ground until the wipers reach the bottom of the windshield allowing them to park after the switch has been shut off. Its a real quick easy fix that takes all of 5 mins. Its pretty obvious what you need to do once you pop the cover off.
76stepsidechevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 08:33 PM   #4
THE "10" SILVERADO

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76stepsidechevy View Post
You need to pull the cover off the wiper motor and bend the ground wiper a little bit so it makes contact again. They wear down or get out of adjustment over time and this it the result. The motor gets 12volts+ at all times and all the switching is done through ground. The wiper makes contact with ground until the wipers reach the bottom of the windshield allowing them to park after the switch has been shut off. Its a real quick easy fix that takes all of 5 mins. Its pretty obvious what you need to do once you pop the cover off.
That's pretty cool. Replaced the switch in mine a year ago but figured I just had to deal with old technology and had to stop at just the right time. Going to check that out on mine!
Old 03-11-2012, 08:39 PM   #5
76stepsidechevy

The delay module and switch should be plug and play for 78 and up too. I was looking for parts to add that to my 76 but having the wipers park like there supposed to makes it a lot more tolerable.
76stepsidechevy is offline   Reply With Quote