The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-14-2012, 01:17 AM   #1
izonme13

trailing arm suspension question

I have a truck trailing arm suspension, its going in a 56 chevy pickup. What im wondering is if I can narrow the front crossmember mounts. thus getting the arms more under the frame at the rearend. My frame is 34" wide and would really help me out. Or can i change the arms angle inward a little? Will this change the the suspension movement to much? Stumped at the moment and need some input.....Thanks Robert
izonme13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 09:10 AM   #2
Larry Lindley

Re: trailing arm suspension question

Have truck arms under my 55 1st chevy with no problems.I have a wedge shaped frame that is wider at the axle center line.I will try to get some pictures and post later.
Larry Lindley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 06:24 PM   #3
tmoble

What's the problem you're wanting to fix? if you move the fronts together you'll have to change the angle of the mounting pads on the axle to match.

I guess I don't understand what problem would be solved by this modification?
tmoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 06:41 PM   #4
izonme13

Moving the arms inward will give me a couple extra inches of clearence for wider tires....also will eliminate the arms from hitting the frame as Im changing the front mounting point higher. Changing the axle pads are fine, because the 12 bolt truck rearend I have was leaf spring anyways.
Old 03-14-2012, 07:08 PM   #5
tmoble

are you using a factory type crossmber? or one made from tubing? if factory type you'll have to cut a section out of the center, weld it back together. Might change the frame mounting setup.

If aftermarket race car type you will have to section it in the middle, or cut the tabs off and relocate them closer together together.

Are you going to need to have enough room for the driveshaft between the arms at the front?

Maybe you'd be better of with a 4-link?
Old 03-14-2012, 10:14 PM   #6
LEEVON

Robert I did this on my '50 and the trailing arms were a little too wide in the rear, the u-bolts were directly under my c-notches and I wanted them to clear so it would be as low as possible with the air out of the bags. If it weren't for this I would have just left them alone. I just tweaked the mounting tabs inward a little bit with a hammer. It really only took a few blows and a little measuring to bring the arms in on the axles 3-4" each. Literally a 5 minute deal and I didn't get any binding in the bushings. The first pic is factory width, measured from my '71. The second pic is where they ended up.
Attached Images

Last edited by LEEVON; 03-14-2012 at 10:23 PM.
LEEVON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 02:37 AM   #7
tmoble

Wow, the direct approach. I love it. If you're welding or re-welding the mount pads on the axle anyway this is a no brainer.

It's been too long since I worked with this stuff. I thought the mounts were stamped into the crossmember like the rear uppers on a 64-72 Chevelle. Riveted on tabs, I don't remember that at all.
Old 03-15-2012, 03:06 AM   #8
izonme13

Thanks LEEVON!! thats what I wondered was if moving them inward was going to harm anything.....Im going to build new trailing arms like NUKE1 did and probably build a crossmember, not sure what type just yet. Still trying to decide whether to bag it or coilovers.