The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-16-2012, 02:37 AM   #1
bluec10

Seafoam Spray Treatment?

Has anyone tried that Seafoam procedure involving spraying it into the intake, turning off the engine for 5 minutes, then restarting. They claim it will clean out the carbon. Does it? Is it safe for the engine?
2019 BMW R1250 GSA - Yahoooooooo
1979 Honda GL 1000 - retro touring at its best.

Past:
'05 Sierra 4x4 - Had 270,000 KM and running well when it was written-off by a stop sign runner.
'94 F-150 from the "F word" company. I'll admit it...good truck. Sold what was left of it for $800 to a guy who came to pick it up at 11:00 PM with cash in hand. Hmm.
'79 Sierra Grande (Black) organ donor - perfect rebuildable 4-bolt 350 and a good TH350.
'76 Sierra Grande (Orange) - hate isn't too strong a word. Kid who bought it turned it into a hot rod.
'68 C-10 R.I.P. - Dad's old truck...too far gone to resurrect.
'59 C-50 - with hoist. Truck is gone, wife isn't. Nuff said.
bluec10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 05:31 AM   #2
LakeAnna

Re: Seafoam Spray Treatment?

Seafoam is pretty good stuff that should work. I've used outboard engine tuner before and it works great. You can get either Mercury or whatever Evinrude has out and they both work great. My Dad said that the cheapest thing to use is transmission fluid??? He has done that on his old trucks before. Lots of smoke!!!

72 RESTO

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=501870
LakeAnna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 08:05 AM   #3
JimKshortstep4x4

I have tried using Seafoam to clean carbon off of cylinder heads as a cleaning method and the results were minimal even with scrubbing.

Jim
1971 Shortbox step side 4x4, 350 sbc, 3:07 rear end
1965 Impala SS 400 sbc, Muncie rock crusher
1966 Impala SS 396 bbc, TH 400
1969 El Camino, 350 sbc, TH 350
1971 Snowplow built on a Blazer frame
1972 GMC Short bed, stepside, TH 400, 427 BBC
JimKshortstep4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 08:52 AM   #4
mpotts64

I run a quart of Marvel Mystery Oil through the gas tank about every 5th fill-up, works well.

When asked why I work on old trucks, I tell them: Been married 27 years, sons are pretty much gone, don't like the wife anymore and don't have a girlfriend, so, gotta do something, the old trucks are cheaper and less drama than a girlfriend -
mpotts64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 08:55 AM   #5
ctandc

The best way to use seafoam is to do it the old fashion way.
Get the engine up to temp.
Now open the hood. Drizzle the seafoam into the carb, (air cleaner off of course) working the throttle linkage with your hand to keep it running. When you get close to using half a can, dump more in until the engine dies.

You can also do this using a full time vacuum hose from the engine, using the hose like a straw.

Let it sit for a good while.

Go back out, crank it up and go for a ride. Charge your neighbors for the mosquito treatment you’ll be doing. It will smoke like a freight train, then clear up.

I’ve done this a thousand time it seems.

To be fair, we used to do the same thing with ATF or water.

Seafoam straight out of the bottle at room temp won’t clean carbon. That’s not what it was designed to do.

Good luck.
Old 03-16-2012, 09:52 AM   #6
Willys47

the best thing that I have seen to clean a cylinder of carbon is water. Any time I have seen a motor taken apart because of a failed head gasket were water has enterd the cylinder the piston is as clean as can be. why not just pour some water in a running motor to steam clean it. a little water injection may do the trick.
Old 03-16-2012, 11:31 AM   #7
John Fabris
TOTY 2006

second vote for Water. cheap and it works, key is to dribble in in slowly. dump is all in at one and you can cause a hydraulic lockup of your engine and more then likely hurt head gasket or rod bearing....
Old 03-16-2012, 11:49 AM   #8
fakerwade

GM used to sell their "top engine cleaner" through their parts dept. ,,I don't know if they still do or not,,, stuff works very well. I've also mixed water and dexron (sort of mix together, water and oil don't mix well together) and poor that into engine keeping it at 2000 rpm, usually run about 2 quarts through without killing the engine. Smokes like crazy but works pretty well also. Whatever you choose to do please be sure to wear eye goggles, if the engine back fires it could spew hot caustic fluids back into your eyes. I've had this happen,,,,no fun. Hope this helps.
Build thread "TANGERINE" http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=498570

Board Members Met: bigblock68, ol_skool_chevy ,68TT,atvpro
fakerwade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 12:28 PM   #9
cdowns

i used to use seafoam on a regular basis every oil change found that berrymans gas treatment worked ALOT better at about 1/4 the price so that's what i use to keep my injectors clean and sensors functioning properly
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 07:40 AM   #10
jover

We swear by the seafoam products over the last year. They are pricy but let me tell You so are carburetor's that this ethanol gas ruins. We have 1986 K20 that seems to do way too much sitting and this new gas has ruined 2 carbs over the last year until we hit on seafoam, now after putting new 600cfm on it, we religiously run a can of seafoam through motor via gas tank, and it has really solved problem. They also have a product by Lucas that You can pick up at any parts store or even I've seen it at walmart, and it is a stabilizer, which we also use in lawnmower, chainsaw, leaf blower etc... it also has seemed to straighten out problem. This new gas is brutal on engines and any type of rubber as it eats right through it. We are up here in central NY and can't tell You all the problems with it. Now our 68 stepside w/388 and dynoed at 517hp, my hubby won't take any chances on and has opted to run straight Cam 2 which this truck loves and with the 12.5 compression its not a problem, just on the wallet $7.80/gallon.
jover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 03:57 PM   #11
c1069

I recommend you B12 Chemtool combustion cleaner. Those products work great.

69 c/10 step side 454/400 with 3.07
c1069 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 08:41 PM   #12
kcsa75

A while back my neighbor gave me a can of Amsoil Power Foam. I was having problems with a sticky choke on my Quadrajet. I'd already probably sprayed three or four cans of carb cleaner on/through this thing, so I decided it couldn't hurt.
Directions say to warm up the engine, then spray the whole can in and around the carb. Let it sit for 10 minutes then go for a drive.
After a few minutes of coughing and spitting with black smoke coming out the tailpipe, I took it out on the freeway and the difference was night and day.
I've got find an Amsoil guy in my neighborhood cause I'm sold on this stuff.
http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/apf.aspx

People who blindly follow a GPS end up on television programs on The Weather Channel. Some survive, some don't.
kcsa75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 01:01 AM   #13
kevmcrae

I've used the seafoam for many years on everything from my lawn tractor, boat, cars, and my 71. I can't say if the pistons are cleaner as I haven't taken anything apart. But I can tell a difference in idle afterwards. If there was a shake and shimmy....it goes away. I always use the quarts and through a vacuume line.
I also use it to winterize my mower and boat. As for the ethanol issue some have mentioned, I use only premium fuel that doesn't contain and ethanol in everything except my new cars. Little more $ per gallon, but don't have any deterioration issues in mower, 4 wheeler, snowcat, weed eater, or my 71 chevy.
kevmcrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 11:20 AM   #14
bowtiecharlie

Ive used "tec" top engine cleaner from gm with great results!! Just follow the directions, and it will clean out the top end well and everthing else. When I use it I warm up the engine 20 mins, and pour it down the carb slowly 1st and then choke out the motor when you dump the rest in. I let it sit overnight and in the morning I fire it up and blast it down the road @ 10 mins or when the smoking stops. And then you better change the oil and filter, because all the "tec" washes the rings and walls of the clys, and heads south into the oil pan. Then take it for another normal ride