The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 99-06 GMT800 Chevy and GMC Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-16-2012, 05:20 PM   #1
Can't kech me

Posi or Single?

I have a 2000 gmc sierra extended cab z71. i want to know if it has rear posi or not. the vin number is 2GTEK19T7Y1329779. all help is appreciated.

Can't kech me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 08:32 PM   #2
gregory5000

Re: Posi or Single?

There are codes that are in the glove box. Write them all down and then you can search which one you have. They are called RPO codes. Here is a link that will help you.

http://www.gmtruckhq.com/suggestion-...codes-715.html
Old 03-16-2012, 11:24 PM   #3
clinebarger

The RPO for a posi is G80. Its affectionately known as a "Gov-Bomb" or "Grenade 80".
clinebarger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 12:33 AM   #4
Can't kech me

Yeah, I have the g80 auto locking diff, but i didn't know if it was a posi or just an auto locker. Thanks, if anyone's wondering why I was asking, I'm going to use this diff with the ring and pinion in the 10 bolt out of an 82, with moser axles, I would use the whole thing off of the 2000 but it's wider than I want. Thanks for the help guys
Posted via Mobile Device

Old 03-19-2012, 05:08 PM   #5
clinebarger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Can't kech me View Post
Yeah, I have the g80 auto locking diff, but i didn't know if it was a posi or just an auto locker. Thanks, if anyone's wondering why I was asking, I'm going to use this diff with the ring and pinion in the 10 bolt out of an 82, with moser axles, I would use the whole thing off of the 2000 but it's wider than I want. Thanks for the help guys
Posted via Mobile Device
Its a "Governor style locker"
The G80 is a poor choice for anything performance related. Ive seen stock engines break them....I mean explode. A Eaton Clutch type posi would be way better.
Old 03-19-2012, 06:28 PM   #6
crazy longhorn
Fabricate till you "puke"

I am ready to put 1 of those "gov bombs' under my 02....but bear with me, she is not a hotrod,just my DD. In a performance app, you will be happier with a good old eaton clutch type posi crazyL
69 longhorn,4" chop,3/5 drop, 1/2 ton suspension/disc brakes,1 1/2" body drop,steel tilt clip, 5.3/Edelbrock rpm intake/600 carb, Hooker streetrod shorties,2 1/2" exhaust/ H pipe/50's Flows , 6 spd Richmond trans,12 bolt/ 3.40 gears....
crazy longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 08:50 PM   #7
Can't kech me

i'm just doing it to save money and get me started, something to use until i break it, it wont be any outrageous power. i really want to build a 12 bolt but i dont have the money, but i have the parts to build a 10 bolt posi so i think i'll be ok. i mean, dont the silverado ss have these diffs? or do they have the newer posi from gm? i just need some kind of posi to get me rolling, its probably stronger than the old style 10 bolt posi's though right? like they ran in the camaros and even trucks?

Old 03-19-2012, 09:43 PM   #8
clinebarger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Can't kech me View Post
i'm just doing it to save money and get me started, something to use until i break it, it wont be any outrageous power. i really want to build a 12 bolt but i dont have the money, but i have the parts to build a 10 bolt posi so i think i'll be ok. i mean, dont the silverado ss have these diffs? or do they have the newer posi from gm? i just need some kind of posi to get me rolling, its probably stronger than the old style 10 bolt posi's though right? like they ran in the camaros and even trucks?
If you already had a Gov-Lok running in the truck I would say run it, But I would never transplant one in a different housing, Set the gears up & buy axles. Eaton clutch posi's are cheap for a 10 bolt.
Old 03-19-2012, 10:19 PM   #9
Justin87

When they say they explode they aren't kidding. Ive got a Sierra that's the same model and year as yours. Mine exploded last June. Was doin about 25mph when it happened. Promptly replaced it with and Eaton trutrac diff. Highly recommend it.