The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-18-2012, 02:14 AM   #1
Livrat
Member #1049

NOS OEM tailgate band or a new repop ?

A friend recently gave me a new woodgrain tailgate band, He said when he got it is was in the GM box but ended up tossing the box.. this one is different than all of the used ones I have. the letters have a "clip washer" (similiar to the ones holding the heater cables on the controls) on each stud holding the letters on.. all of the ones I have the letters have the studs "swedged" on..
Could this one be a reproduction?
Livrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 02:20 AM   #2
68 TT
Still plays with trucks

Re: NOS OEM tailgate band or a new repop ?

Assuming it is GM and not a repop it could be a later service replacement part and not original equipment run off the production line at the same time as the parts put out for the original build of our trucks.

Many times they make improvements in the service replacement parts the dealer gets so the new ones don't break the same way the original part did that they are replacing, many times under warranty.
68 Camaro SS / RS 500hp 439 inch roller cam big block 4L80E
79 Malibu TPI 350 4L60 w/ Z28 steering & sway bars
68 TT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 08:06 AM   #3
special-K
Special Order

The later GM replacement tailgate bands had plastic letters. I don't know how they were fastened...never had one. I've had the first reproduction bands that Golden State Pickup parts had and they were just like originals before the plastic letters. Did the OEM part have a number stamped somewhere? This is always a question with trim because some parts had no pace to put a number that wouldn't affect the appearance...or just no place because it's too small. I've seen part numbers stenciled on with ink/paint and I've seen OEM with nothing.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 10:11 AM   #4
70shortfleet

Mark, how did the woodgrain look? GM used a very high quality woodgrain that had a clear coat over it and was glossy compared to the reproduction woodgrain that I see on repros of today
70shortfleet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 12:28 PM   #5
Livrat
Member #1049

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
The later GM replacement tailgate bands had plastic letters. I don't know how they were fastened...never had one. I've had the first reproduction bands that Golden State Pickup parts had and they were just like originals before the plastic letters. Did the OEM part have a number stamped somewhere? This is always a question with trim because some parts had no pace to put a number that wouldn't affect the appearance...or just no place because it's too small. I've seen part numbers stenciled on with ink/paint and I've seen OEM with nothing.
Tim, this one definately has plastic letters, no part number

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70shortfleet View Post
Mark, how did the woodgrain look? GM used a very high quality woodgrain that had a clear coat over it and was glossy compared to the reproduction woodgrain that I see on repros of today
Les, the woodgrain looks good to me, but then all I have to compare it with is 40 year old beat up ones with metal letters, it does not look to have any clearcoat on it..

Hmmmmmmmm...
Attached Images

Old 03-18-2012, 01:14 PM   #6
screaminchevypickup
Laid Back

That's how" trim parts" brands band is made!!
Posted via Mobile Device

Direct dealers for..

Vintage Air, Porterbuilt, Billet Specialties,Budnik wheels ,eddie motorsports, raceline wheels, intro wheels, Dakota Digital, precision, unisteer, Trimparts, and many many more... Laid Back Recreations.. Full restoration shop and full paint and body..

Kyle

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=574629
screaminchevypickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 03:24 PM   #7
special-K
Special Order

I believe the late GM replacement letters are grey,not chrome.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 04:03 PM   #8
FirstOwner69

This is how I attached replacement metal letters to my original tailgate band. Works great. Perhaps this was done using plastic letters.

Last edited by FirstOwner69; 03-18-2012 at 04:12 PM.
FirstOwner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 05:19 PM   #9
sameyrasmea72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livrat View Post
Les, the woodgrain looks good to me, but then all I have to compare it with is 40 year old beat up ones with metal letters, it does not look to have any clearcoat on it..

Hmmmmmmmm...
If I was going by you pic I would say it is not GM. The grain is different from the GM ones I've seen and there is not enough red in it.

I am not possitive, but that would be my guess.
Old 03-18-2012, 09:03 PM   #10
71 super

The clips are definitely a repop thing. Looks to be trim parts as stated earlier and is of very good quality but not NOS. The plastic GM letters have studs that are melted to hold in place. The metal letters are bradded over to hold in place. Also to my knowledge GM units did not come in boxes but in plastic sheathing like the rest of GM trim
69 swb cst 6 cylinder/ overdrive
69 black/black cst bb swb
70 orange and white cst Canada built truck swb bb
71 black and white super swb bb
71 red and white super swb
72 green and white super swb 4x4
62 nova wagon 400 series Ls swapped
68 Camaro 327/4 speed- 1 owner, original paint
66 Volkswagen bettle
69 auto stick Volkswagen Beetle
71 super is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 09:23 PM   #11
mcbassin
Still Learning

I have a NOS band that has silver painted letters. They are plastic and it looks like they are melted on the back side to hold them on.

Usually the dead giveaway is the woodgrain pattern. Most aftermarket bands the woodgrain pattern is totally different from the GM ones. I have seen some really nice looking aftermarket ones too.
mcbassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 09:59 PM   #12
Livrat
Member #1049

Thank you for all for your input, My suspicion looks to be confirmed, it is a reproduction.. Darn.........
I guess I can not complain for free.. off to the wall art section of the shop it goes.
Old 03-18-2012, 10:00 PM   #13
Tim Christian

Looks like a Trim Parts to me. Probably had a GM Restortation parts sticker on it possibly making him think that???
Tim Christian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 10:10 PM   #14
Dave
DND Trucks

Smile Re: NOS OEM tailgate band or a new repop ?

Mark, I wouldn't be disappointed. The later GM one around '89-'91 was not the same as the original production piece. The high gloss on the woodgrain was gone and the chrome die cast letters were replaced with gray plastic letters. Further, the retail price from around that time was about 227.00. The reproduction IMOP, is closer to the original than the later offering from GM.
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 10:49 PM   #15
Livrat
Member #1049

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Christian View Post
Looks like a Trim Parts to me. Probably had a GM Restortation parts sticker on it possibly making him think that???
Tim, Good call.. That very well could be since my buddy is a scrapper and not really into this stuff. One day he mentioned that this and a brand new tailgate came to him as scrap and knowing I was into chevy trucks set them aside , and for all of two days before I could make it over to him, I visioned NOS...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
Mark, I wouldn't be disappointed. The later GM one around '89-'91 was not the same as the original production piece. The high gloss on the woodgrain was gone and the chrome die cast letters were replaced with gray plastic letters. Further, the retail price from around that time was about 227.00. The reproduction IMOP, is closer to the original than the later offering from GM.
Dave, I am not really dissapointed and can not complain as it was free and saved from the scrap bin.
IMHO it is a nice piece, I was just hoping for that high dollar NOS part that someone else could not live without.
Old 03-18-2012, 10:51 PM   #16
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

Are you keeping this or selling it?

Convert to disc brakes.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823
lolife99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 11:13 PM   #17
Livrat
Member #1049

Keith, As of now my thoughts are to hang it on the wall at the shop with the others I have.