The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-18-2012, 10:13 PM   #1
pops70

Blazer tank install with a twist

Hi everyone,

Here is my blazer tank install with a couple of twists that I have not seen done before. The first photos are of the original fuel filler set up with the billet alluminum aero full filler that I purchased. I seen this done on a bronco forum and thought I would give it a try. I did not like this original set up because it required a 90 degree angle immediately behind the gas cap which made filling up the truck a slow process. I could not run the pump at full speed and gas kept wanting to pour back out of the gas cap.

The second set of photos is where I installed a jeep fuel bezel and then installed the aero filler inside of the bezel. The jeep bezel is a little larger than I would like but I am hoping the 45 degree angle it placed the gas cap will make filling the truck a little easier and less messy. I prefer functionality over looks. Later I will install a billet door to cover everything. I will update how my second approach works filling the truck up.
Attached Images

pops70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 11:08 PM   #2
Harpie

Re: Blazer tank install with a twist

Was just curious where you got the piece that is in the bed I'm putting a blazer tank myself and that would work great. And I'm talking about the box part.
Posted via Mobile Device
Harpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 11:32 PM   #3
pops70

I made the box in the bed. I will try to post some pics of the box as I built it tomorrow .
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-19-2012, 01:15 PM   #4
Mr Chevorlet
Rusty Nuts

If you can find a old junk blazer they have them in them that covers the filler neck

Larry
Mr Chevrolet
My Build, The Marathon Truck
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=604414
Mr Chevorlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 03:53 PM   #5
FRENCHBLUE72
PROJECT 7DEUCE

The ones in blazers are not the deep... Filler idea looks pretty good..

MEMBER #6377

72 k-5 daily driver 6'' lift 35'' 350-350-205 slowly getting rust free.

Project "7DEUCE"

check out my build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=267665

Tim Powell..R.I.P EastSideLowlife..... R.I.P..
FRENCHBLUE72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 12:45 AM   #6
pops70

Here is how I built the box in the bed. It was wide enough for the original side filler but is about half an inch too narrow for the jeep fuel bezel. I am having to modify it a little.

The metal that I cut out of the side of the bed is what I used to build the face of the box. I then cut sides that were scribed to match the countour of the bed and the piece that I cut out. A top was cut and a 3/4"-1" flange was welded along the sides and around the bottom. A flange was welded around the opening in the hole that was cut in the bottom of the bed. The ridges in the bed floor were cut along their sides and then hammered down to look factory. I'm not sure if you can see that part in the pics but the tops of the ridges in the bed are rounded off to look like the factory transitions found in the bed.
Attached Images

Old 03-20-2012, 12:51 AM   #7
pops70

In case anyone was wondering....here is how I routed the fuel filler line
Attached Images

Old 04-02-2012, 11:28 PM   #8
pops70

I have everything put back together and tried filling the tank this weekend and still not happy.... I can't fill the tank with the the pump cranked on high. What the what????
Old 04-03-2012, 08:45 AM   #9
dbstepside

how high up is your vent? mine was horrible as well when i had my vent just at frame level. i ended running more vent line and ran it to the fenderwell and ziptied it on a brace in my fender. granted i have a stepside bed and i see you have a fleetside but you seem pretty creative. i have a direct fill from the bed floor making a 90 into the tank pretty much and before i moved my vent it took me 12 minutes to put 20 bucks in but now it only takes seconds about like emptying it.
dbstepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 11:46 AM   #10
RPBurris

Can you share the part number for the Jeep filler part you used? I am glad to see this done and have been thinking about it for a while. Thanks.
Old 04-11-2012, 11:17 PM   #11
pops70

Can you share the part number for the Jeep filler part you used? I am glad to see this done and have been thinking about it for a while. Thanks.

I don't have a part number but I can tell you that the bezel I ordered is for a TJ Wrangler and the best price I found was from Quadratec for $44.99 (stainless steel). Their item number is 13100 03.
Old 04-11-2012, 11:21 PM   #12
pops70

I am not sure of the factory part number but I can tell you that I ordered a stainless steel bezel for a TJ Wrangler from Quadratec for $44.99. Their part number is 13100 03.
Old 04-11-2012, 11:39 PM   #13
GOPAPA

First of all I want to say great job POPS70,,wish you had this posted a few years ago as I would of thought hard and long about using your idea,,

I want to post a picture of the filler chase I got from my sons truck that he didnt care to use anymore..It came from the tank right behind the drivers door on the bed..
It follows the contour of the lines in the bed side and therefor make for a easy modify if one does not have the cutting and welding skills you have ..
I for one do not have them skills so I went looking for the one I have pictured ..like i said I really like your set up and do not want to take any thing away from it by showing these pictures ..

I got the filler chase from the other side of the bed ,,just showing what kind of a truck they are on for reference,,
Old 04-14-2012, 01:54 AM   #14
pops70

GoPapa,

Thanks for sharing. I was unaware that there was anything like that. How is it filling your tank after installing that fuel filler? I need to go look at a buddies blazer to see how it is plumbed. My fuel filler is not working out that well. dbstepside gave a helpfull sugestion but I have not had a chance to try it out yet.