The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-20-2012, 11:35 AM   #1
JON70CST

Help Before I Dive In

I have started a build thread for this truck, but was hoping to throw a few quick ideas around here and hopefully get some input before i return to working on my project.

I have accumulated a decent amount of parts for my truck since last summer, and am getting the itch to get going on it again once my final semester of University wraps up here in a month , but am contemplating where to start once the work resumes, and which direction I should go with the build.

I have purchased a 1970 LWB parts truck which I have managed to sell some stuff off of to put back into the truck fund, a front end out of an '88 suburban to convert to front discs which also came with all steering parts as well, and finally an air ride setup with front/rear bags and brackets.

A recent "crazy" idea that has entered my brain, and will not leave, is to get the parts truck down to bare frame, sandblast, shorten the frame to accommodate a short box, c-noth, paint frame w/ POR-15, install air ride set up and rebuilt front end out of '88 burb, and eventually piece by piece transfer everything else from my current truck (in the picture) over to the shortened cleaned up frame, doing the body work as it is installed on the new frame.

My logic behind this, is nothing gets left untouched, parts that need replacing can easily be replaced and won't be missed, and keeps my truck mobile and cruisable for another summer while I build up the other frame.

Does this sound like a good idea? Or am I creating a lot of senseless work, and expenses for myself?
Any and all input is welcome, and thankyou in advance!

Last edited by JON70CST; 03-20-2012 at 12:36 PM.
JON70CST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 12:12 PM   #2
Dingfodgy
Lemme show you something!!

Re: Help Before I Dive In

Crazy? Sho' Nuff, but aren't we all! Senseless? Not at all! Additional Expense? Not really! But you will probably spend more time making all the SLD's (Sh!**y Little Details) match the pristine condition of the big components. I know I cannot, in good conscience, use a nasty-a$$, crusty old bolt to fasten a brand-new or freshly refurbed and painted part on my ride...so it either gets cleaned and repainted or replaced with new. If I had the room I would do precisely what you described. Besides giving you an opportunity to "touch" every component to ensure it is in perfect working order, I also think it'll inspire you to take the time and effort to make the chassis as nice as you possibly can- you won't get itchy to cut corners just to get your pride and joy back on the road.
I say if you have the space......go for it!
'95 BMW 325i ("Joy")
Dingfodgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 12:39 PM   #3
JON70CST

THanks Dingfodgy! Space shouldn't be too much of an issue... the only downside is I'll be spreading myself out between my garage at home, and the shop at work. I'm also questioning whether or not its worth it for me to convert this LWB to a SWB frame, or just leave it a longbox.
Old 03-20-2012, 01:15 PM   #4
Dingfodgy
Lemme show you something!!

The whole SWB or LWB question is a personal one. If you're going to "use" this truck to haul bikes, lumber, camping gear, barkdust, illegal aliens or cuban cigars then I'd probably leave it a LWB. If it is more of a fun time fairgrounds cruiser or stoplight warrior- I'd chop it down to a SWB.
'95 BMW 325i ("Joy")
Dingfodgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 10:25 PM   #5
JON70CST

I recently learned after stripping down the parts truck that it is a sitting on a 67 frame. Should I continue with my plan of building up this frame, or try and find another '70 frame?

The problem I would run into with the '67 frame is no dimple for the power steering gear box, and I believe I would have to clearance the upper frame rail somewhat to make room for the big block if I stick with that route. Lately I have been intrigued by going the LS route though, and who knows, maybe by the time I'm ready to throw a body on the frame I would be building, I will have found another box and cab to go on it instead of tearing my current driver apart and swapping it over to the finished frame. Then I'll have two trucks

Last edited by JON70CST; 04-26-2012 at 10:31 PM.