The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-21-2012, 06:39 PM   #1
Ironhorse

Headlight Retainer Rings ?

Besides the obvious differance with the GMC quad headlights is there a differance in the stainless headlight retainer rings for the 67-72 Chevrolet body style? Not talking the head light buckets but the round stainless retainer rings that clamp or encirlce the headlight itself. Never thought about it before but was asked if I had some for a '68, I do have some from a '70. Anyone know if they are all the same?
Original Truck AM/FM
Wellington, Ks
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 08:20 PM   #2
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Re: Headlight Retainer Rings ?

-
I went out and checked my '67, '68, '69, & '72 and they are all the same...

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-

Last edited by LockDoc; 03-22-2012 at 12:06 AM.
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 09:03 PM   #3
Ironhorse

Thanks for the info Leon, much appreciated. I was kinda thinking it would make sense for the General to fashion them the same but thru the years of 67-72 there is some subtle differances a person doesn't think about until you run into the situation. Again, thanks for the reply.
Original Truck AM/FM
Wellington, Ks
Old 03-21-2012, 09:29 PM   #4
sjarrett71

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post
-
I went out and checked my '67, '68, '69, & '72 and the are all the same...

LockDoc
Showoff!
Old 03-22-2012, 12:04 AM   #5
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhorse View Post
Thanks for the info Leon, much appreciated. I was kinda thinking it would make sense for the General to fashion them the same but thru the years of 67-72 there is some subtle differances a person doesn't think about until you run into the situation. Again, thanks for the reply.
No problem. I actually thought there was a difference until I went out and checked...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjarrett71 View Post
Showoff!
I couldn't include the '70 Scott, It's stored out at my Uncles place in the country so I couldn't check it...

LockDoc

-
Old 03-22-2012, 04:26 AM   #6
Classic Bowties
Always on the hunt...

Quote:
Besides the obvious differance with the GMC quad headlights is there a differance in the stainless headlight retainer rings for the 67-72 Chevrolet body style? Not talking the head light buckets but the round stainless retainer rings that clamp or encirlce the headlight itself. Never thought about it before but was asked if I had some for a '68, I do have some from a '70. Anyone know if they are all the same?
Quote:
-
I went out and checked my '67, '68, '69, & '72 and they are all the same...

LockDoc
I am going to have to disagree on that one, I have done enough mixing and matching and swapping of parts that I have bumped into this issue more than just a time or two. While the parts books do group the 67-72 chevs all together as one application on these headlight bulb retaining rings, I have found if talking OE parts the 67 & 68 retaining rings each have a small oval hole for attaching the headlight to core support springs while the later 69-72 rings are clearanced/slotted in this area so the spring can attach directly to the headlight bucket. While being just the opposite, the earlier 67/68 headlight buckets themselves are clearanced so the spring can attach to the bulb retaining ring. It's a bit late to do any investigation snooping tonight, but I do know the buckets, adjusters and springs are all 67/68 chev specific and then 69-72 chev specific and am 99% sure that same goes for the bulb retaining rings. Can have a good look in the morning, Mel.

Found this older thread from last year that I had added some info pertaining to this subject matter, see post #11 of this thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=499622

Last edited by Classic Bowties; 03-22-2012 at 04:45 AM. Reason: added a link
Classic Bowties is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 08:42 AM   #7
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic Bowties View Post
I am going to have to disagree on that one, I have done enough mixing and matching and swapping of parts that I have bumped into this issue more than just a time or two. While the parts books do group the 67-72 chevs all together as one application on these headlight bulb retaining rings, I have found if talking OE parts the 67 & 68 retaining rings each have a small oval hole for attaching the headlight to core support springs while the later 69-72 rings are clearanced/slotted in this area so the spring can attach directly to the headlight bucket. While being just the opposite, the earlier 67/68 headlight buckets themselves are clearanced so the spring can attach to the bulb retaining ring. It's a bit late to do any investigation snooping tonight, but I do know the buckets, adjusters and springs are all 67/68 chev specific and then 69-72 chev specific and am 99% sure that same goes for the bulb retaining rings. Can have a good look in the morning, Mel.

Found this older thread from last year that I had added some info pertaining to this subject matter, see post #11 of this thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=499622
Thanks for the followup Mel. All of the ones I checked were on vehicles with the headlight bezels on them and I didn't take them off. I thought the stainless retainers were a different width so that was what I was looking for.

The thread you posted the link to is talking about headlight buckets and Ironhorse is specifically asking about the stainless retainer rings if that makes a difference. The rings are all I looked at...

Thanks again.

LockDoc

-

Last edited by LockDoc; 03-22-2012 at 05:16 PM.
Old 03-22-2012, 10:26 AM   #8
Ironhorse

Again I find out there's more to these ol' trucks then meets the eye. Good information you put out there Mel. Thanks for sharing that with the board. I've had two of these trucks over the years. First was a '72 long bed, 307 4 spd and my current '71 4x4. Friend of mine had a short bed '67 years ago which gave me the itch to get my own 67-72. Thanks again for the teaching session Mel.

Leon, you must have quite the storage area for all those "toys" you mentioned. I thought I had a good amount with my '71 4x4, '57 2 dr. sedan,
'71 Chevelle SS and a '55 2 dr. wagon. Not all are done but in various stages of a restore with the exception of the '55. That one is sitting on blocks, tarped and waiting.
Original Truck AM/FM
Wellington, Ks
Old 03-22-2012, 05:24 PM   #9
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Again I find out there's more to these ol' trucks then meets the eye. Good information you put out there Mel. Thanks for sharing that with the board. I've had two of these trucks over the years. First was a '72 long bed, 307 4 spd and my current '71 4x4. Friend of mine had a short bed '67 years ago which gave me the itch to get my own 67-72. Thanks again for the teaching session Mel.

Leon, you must have quite the storage area for all those "toys" you mentioned. I thought I had a good amount with my '71 4x4, '57 2 dr. sedan,
'71 Chevelle SS and a '55 2 dr. wagon. Not all are done but in various stages of a restore with the exception of the '55. That one is sitting on blocks, tarped and waiting.

I'm like everyone else, I learn something new about these trucks every day... It's good to have guys like Mel on here that deal in this stuff on a day to day basis.

Here is a link to a couple of other vehicles I have owned, or still do...

http://members.zumatel.net/leon429/carphoto.html

My wife says I have a problem...

LockDoc

-
Old 03-22-2012, 07:54 PM   #10
Classic Bowties
Always on the hunt...

Quote:
Again I find out there's more to these ol' trucks then meets the eye. Good information you put out there Mel. Thanks for sharing that with the board.
Quote:
I'm like everyone else, I learn something new about these trucks every day... It's good to have guys like Mel on here that deal in this stuff on a day to day basis.
Hey guys, I too am still trying to figure out all the differences and similarities between each make and model and yet still come across something new that I thought I already knew or had already figured out before . Here are a few pictures to go with my above post so you guys dont think that I'm , even took the time to label these ones so they could maybe be used as a future reference for those searching for info on the subject. Mel
Attached Images

Old 03-22-2012, 08:01 PM   #11
Classic Bowties
Always on the hunt...

Last few headlight bucket & ring Id pics...
Attached Images

Old 03-22-2012, 10:49 PM   #12
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
Thanks for the great info and pictures Mel. That pretty much clears it up....

LockDoc

-
Old 03-22-2012, 11:13 PM   #13
FirstOwner69

Just to add some confusion, and since we all know the General made, and still makes, many mid-model year changes...

I'm 95% sure my 69 (December, 1968 production) has always had the 67/68 style rings. I've collected a few of both types the last couple years so I noted the difference. I can't be 100% sure until I get back to Wisconsin from Arizona in a few weeks. Many of the earlier type I've seen have had the slot for the spring ripped out by the spring as did one of mine which may have precipitated the change.

Jim
FirstOwner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 08:28 AM   #14
Ironhorse

Thanks for the great pics and the labeling Mel. Should really be an aid to someone needing the correct styled retainer rings. Great info and help. :chevy
Original Truck AM/FM
Wellington, Ks
Old 03-24-2012, 01:27 PM   #15
Classic Bowties
Always on the hunt...

Quote:
-
Thanks for the great info and pictures Mel. That pretty much clears it up....
LockDoc
Quote:
Thanks for the great pics and the labeling Mel. Should really be an aid to someone needing the correct styled retainer rings. Great info and help. :chevy
No problem guys, just figured I would try and get my 2 & 1/2 cents in while the subject was on something that I thought I had all figured out . Over the last year or so here on the truck board, I have mentioned this same type of info on at least three different occasions, this is the first time that I took and then labeled some pictures to go with what I was tryin to explain though. Mel