The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-22-2012, 01:28 PM   #1
STPrider

a few air suspension questions

So I'm looking at hopefully doing the big switch to air suspension next winter on my 71 GMC lwb, and I have a few questions to make sure im doing everything right while im buying my parts; Do i need to buy new or relocate my shocks for the air bag setup? im running a lowered stance already, with belltech nitro drop 2 shocks in the front and drop shocks in the rear.
Also, I have 4 Airlift Dominator D2600 bags, with 1/2" ports. Is the way to do this just to get adapters right off the bag and run the entire system with 3/8" line?
Do I need the fancy braided leader hoses for the lines coming off the bags or can I use the nylon line? They're kind of expensive, just wondering if it works without them or if I'll be blowing lines...
Also, water traps are necessary, correct? I live in a humid climate, but not a lot of the kits I've been looking at seem to include them...
Thanks for your time, comments and advice are appreciated!
-Derek
Old 03-22-2012, 02:56 PM   #2
Glorybound13

Re: a few air suspension questions

Don't have a big knowledge about air suspensions, but I could give it a go. For shock relocation, I would definitely recommend it. It will give your truck a much different ride since the lowered stance will put the shock at a bad angle. I wouldn't want to venture a guess about the air lines, so I'll leave that one to another forum member. As for the water traps, anytime you're using compressed air, there's going to be water. I would recommend a water trap just to help ensure that your system stays dry. They're not very expensive for the peace of mind they offer. Just my two cents, but if you're wanting the whole deal, look around on the vendor marketplace on this site (Porterbuilt, AVS, etc.). There are always great deals and great companies to work with. Best of luck!

Isaiah 46:4 - I will be your God through all your lifetime, yes, even when your hair is white with age. I made you and I will care for you. I will carry you along and be your Savior.
Glorybound13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 03:32 PM   #3
DLOE65

You can run either 1/4 or 3/8 line. Nylon is fine as long as it is DOT approved. You do not need to run braided lines. Good idea to run a water trap but it's not a must.

-Derek
Posted via Mobile Device
DLOE65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 08:04 PM   #4
Pro Performance

All good answers. Yes to relocating the shock, yes to nylon lines & yes to water traps. Off the bags, you would just run a fitting that would from 1/2" NPT (M) to 3/8 Push-to-Connect fitting. That is common, and how I run it on my truck.

The shocks have to be relocated, because the axle or arms will go up way more, and it will bottom out the shock. So, on the front, you will have to raise the top mount, and on the rear, you will have to do the same (or lower the bottom mount).
Pro Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 09:06 AM   #5
STPrider

Awesome thanks you guys for all the replies! Really helps a lot to get a few opinions! So for the shock relocation just grind the mount off and use a floor jack to bottom it out and weld it back in wherever it seems to fit? Sounds easy enough!
Old 05-02-2012, 10:41 PM   #6
STPrider

Hi again, if anyone is still following this thread, what did you guys use to seal your air suspension systems? is teflon tape enough? I've read on here about "the right stuff" by permatex, as well as a loctite product? thanks
Old 05-02-2012, 10:49 PM   #7
Pro Performance

Loctite makes a product called 545 that works awesome!

Amazon.com: Loctite(R) 545?uot;¢ Thread Sealant,... Amazon.com: Loctite(R) 545?uot;¢ Thread Sealant,...
Pro Performance is offline   Reply With Quote