The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-22-2012, 09:33 PM   #1
THE "10" SILVERADO

Summit Racing Headers?

Before anyone freaks out about using search, I used it and found tons of stuff on the 67-72 side but not many on this side.

Anyone used these (http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-G9006-9/)? Engine is new rebuilt stock/mild motor. I definitely don't want to spend more than around $250-$300 on headers so I'm wondering if these are worth it. Not sure about regular painted headers since I've heard about horrible rust issues. Just hoping these would not rust out soon and would fit fine.

Also saw somewhere about these being Dynomax reboxed?

Thanks,
Michael
Old 03-23-2012, 11:24 AM   #2
85gmcguy
Plays with trucks

Re: Summit Racing Headers?

I've got them on my truck. I had leaks at first but I finally went with some multiple-layer "dead soft" aluminum gaskets and they're still holding up. They're a little pricey, but worth it.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PHP-66011/

My Dad's Old Truck
85gmcguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 03:31 PM   #3
scotto0609

I used the summit bb headers on my beach buggy and they rusted right away but didnt rot thru in 2 years.That being said they sent the wrong ones the first time and then the second pair I got the ball type collector and found that for me they sealed better. gluck
scotto0609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 07:28 PM   #4
86 K-10

im running painted steel headers i scored for free. i sprayed like 15 coats of header paint and baked it on properly, then i wrapped them and coated them with the silicone coating. i havent seen any rust and theyre not any hotter than exhaust manifolds IMO.

on installation, i recommend you take your inner fenders and the heater box off. installing them around the heater box was a terrible experience i never want to re-live.
in the long run, you'll get the bolts way tighter and it will probably be faster.
86 K-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 07:57 PM   #5
THE "10" SILVERADO

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86 K-10 View Post
im running painted steel headers i scored for free. i sprayed like 15 coats of header paint and baked it on properly, then i wrapped them and coated them with the silicone coating. i havent seen any rust and theyre not any hotter than exhaust manifolds IMO.

on installation, i recommend you take your inner fenders and the heater box off. installing them around the heater box was a terrible experience i never want to re-live.
in the long run, you'll get the bolts way tighter and it will probably be faster.
Well I have a new rebuilt engine and I figured I'd probably assemble it outside and then install it after it's built.
Old 02-05-2014, 06:17 PM   #6
Squareforceone

Quote:

Did you sandblast the headers first?
Old 02-05-2014, 06:53 PM   #7
Jake Wade

Flowtechs. I have a set on my '85 in the painted version. They have 1 1/2 tubes where most common size is 1 5/8.

Not the best quality but, they have held up pretty good for me with Felpro1444 gaskets.
Jake Wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 06:58 PM   #8
bnoon

In TX you'll never have the rust issues we do through the Northern states, no need to go stainless or coated in my opinion.

Quote:
As for taking off the inner fenders and/or heater box, you're crazy. You must need a better selection of socket extensions or something. I've had my headers off twice on my BBC and just tore down my SBC and had the manifolds off in less than 10 minutes and the headers are even easier than those.
bnoon is offline   Reply With Quote