The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-23-2012, 09:07 PM   #1
71chevswb

A/C system disassembly

Springbreak has come and i have been planning my springbreak with includes working on my old chevys.I have 2 A/C trucks, one I am using as a parts truck and the other is my shortbed project. I need to disassembly both A/C systems( which I have never done before) and I need some guidance and help understanding of what I need to do in order to disassembly the systems. I have been told a little about r12 and freon. So what is required, and what order is easiest to get this done.

Any help or suggestions are very helpful to me.

Thanks in advance.
Posted via Mobile Device
71chevswb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 09:40 AM   #2
mrein3

Re: A/C system disassembly

Back when it was legal to do so, one could simply crack open the AC system and let the R12 discharge into the atmosphere. You want it to hiss out so you don't blow all the oil out with it. In my opinion the best place to allow the R12 to seep out is the big fitting on the POA valve right by the firewall. The problem is, you can't buy R12 to recharge the system so now what?

What I did is converted my POA valve to run on R134a. Since I was starting with a non-AC truck I didn't have to do any blowing of R12 into the atmosphere.

I did a detailed post a while ago about how to convert a 67-72 factory R12 system to work with R134a for about 20% of what aftermarket places are charging to retro a system to your truck. I prefer to keep my truck as close to factory as I can. If you use one of these aftermarket systems, who is to say there will be parts available when something needs maintenance in the future?

Look here:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=478564

Since you're working with two trucks worth of parts, you can probably get this done for a lot less than what I spent.
Center City, MN
mrein3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 11:56 AM   #3
terry b

You can vent the refrigerant to the air. Or you could reclaim the refrigerant from both truck's if there is any in them. We charge 110.00 per hour to come to you. We remove the refrigerant filter it thru a large filter/dryer and store it in a can for you. You rent the can. Someone in your area will do the same. When you take your system apart do your best to keep it clean and dry. Seal all hole's with tape as soon as you open them. Store all part's indoor's. When you put the system back together replace the filter/dryer. Replace all o ring's. Lube the o ring's with refrigerant oil to match the refrigerant you are using. Tighten all fitting's. Pressure test with nitrogen to find any leak's. When the system hold's pressure. Remove the nitrogen and use a vacuum pump to evacuate the system for at least one hour. Try to get the system down to -30 inch's of mercury on your gages. Then add refrigerant to bring the system to postive pressure asap.
terry b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 08:06 PM   #4
terry b

ttt
terry b is offline   Reply With Quote