The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-24-2012, 12:01 AM   #1
jocko

hubcap question (for a Custom Deluxe)

Gents,
On a 72 Custom Deluxe - would "Deluxe Wheel Covers" be the first or second pic? I'm assuming the first because I think the second would be "Full Wheel Covers".

Anyway, if they are, in fact, the first pic - does anyone know if you could even order the full wheel covers (full hubcap) on a Custom Deluxe? I assume you could, but I don't know that I've ever actually seen a Cust Dlx with full wheel covers (that came that way from the factory).

Thanks.
Attached Images

jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 12:44 AM   #2
litew8

Re: hubcap question (for a Custom Deluxe)

What ton? I think it matters. Don't think the left one is for 1/2 ton.
I've got the ones on the right (Full Wheel cover) I may use some day.
I've got an ad pic of them I'll try and find to post.

Reference:
http://www.hubcaps.org/chevtruck.html

Last edited by litew8; 03-24-2012 at 12:51 AM.
litew8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 01:40 AM   #3
jocko

thanks litew8 - Cust D in question is a 1/2 ton. The cap on the left is also a 1/2 ton. 3/4 and 1 tonners have a larger diameter cap and the bowtie is convex not concave like this one.
Old 03-24-2012, 01:48 AM   #4
PAWS 72

Jocko, my 72 custom deluxe came with full wheel covers from factory. If I can find some old picts again I scan them in.
PAWS 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 02:04 AM   #5
litew8

Not the ad I was talking about, but I think it's the same Cheyenne model.

http://www.chevrolet.com/culture/article/iconicchevys/

Almost identical to my Custom Deluxe. The side marker lights are different on this.
I'll still go look for the other ad because I think it's cool.

----
But your question is - Could Full Wheel Covers (like the one shown on the Cheyenne above) be ordered on a Custom Deluxe? I'd think yes.

Last edited by litew8; 03-24-2012 at 02:13 AM.
Old 03-24-2012, 02:55 AM   #6
litew8

Okay, I had actually bought that ad (brochure) for 71 trucks. Got it out. You're right.
There's a picture of Custom Deluxe with the chrome hub caps you have above, with blue logo. Since we're talking Custom Deluxe, and that's what I own, I'll go ahead and copy some of the descriptions talked about for Custom Deluxe models.

Custom Deluxe
  • Once we get you inside we want you to like it there.
  • You can tell by our Custom Deluxe interior that's available at extra cost.
  • The full-depth foam bench seat is neatly tailored in rich patterned cloth
    and vinyl- some passenger cars should have it so stylish.
  • Your color choices are black, blue, parchment or olive.
  • The vinyl-coated floor mat is color-keyed.
  • And there are extras like a cigar lighter and dual horns.
  • Even special insulation and door-operated dome light switches.

Exterior
  • All of the items included in the custom trim, plus: bright metal windsheild
    and rear window moldings, and bright ventipane frames.

--

For just a little extra you can have a lot of extra
    comfort and convenience.
    My truck has Cust & Conv package on SPID

Wheel covers,
  • Set of four 15" stainless steel wheel covers are available
    when you order E78, G78 or H78 15" tires.
  • Finished with a chrome flash that easily polishes to a high gloss,
    they add a sparkling touch of class.

Eh, then reading the description for Cheyenne, seems like my Custom Deluxe
has some of their options. Like: Chrome front bumper, bright lower side moldings, fuel filler cap (?) and tailgate trim.

And for Custom Campers, it says: Custom equip your Chevy recreation truck. Dress-up items for your Chevy camper range all the way from full wheel covers to the luxurious new Cheyenne interior/exterior trim package.

... So a lot was just interchangeable is what I'm understanding.

here it is

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1971-Chevrol...-/380358138565
Old 03-24-2012, 03:11 AM   #7
litew8

Also something interesting to note, they mention that wood or steel bed floors available. Wood may be better suited for livestock since it's softer for their feet/hooves.
Old 03-24-2012, 06:04 AM   #8
Classic Bowties
Always on the hunt...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocko View Post
Gents,
On a 72 Custom Deluxe - would "Deluxe Wheel Covers" be the first or second pic? I'm assuming the first because I think the second would be "Full Wheel Covers".

Anyway, if they are, in fact, the first pic - does anyone know if you could even order the full wheel covers (full hubcap) on a Custom Deluxe? I assume you could, but I don't know that I've ever actually seen a Cust Dlx with full wheel covers (that came that way from the factory).

Thanks.
A "regular" 72 Custom Deluxe/10 would of had the PO3 chrome hub caps (your first pic.) as standard equipment and then the PO1 full wheel covers (your second pic.) as optional equipment. Now in that first sentence when I mentioned "regular", what I am refering to there is the highlander option which was only available in 72, and on the 1/2 ton-series 10 highlander only you would get the PA1 deluxe wheel covers (my first below pic.) as standard equipment. Going back to your first above post second pic., I would be interested in buying that PO1 cover as it looks like it would be a perfect match to the one in my second below pic. Lmk if interested, Mel.
Attached Images

Classic Bowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 01:01 PM   #9
jocko

Yep, you nailed it Classic Bowties - I found this last night looking around, and the Highlander had some one-off (for a truck, that is, they are actually the same hubcap as the 70 Monte Carlo!). I have to admit, they look awful bland... But they are "special"

Thanks for posting, I appreciate it. Here's what I found and it's the same, or at least echoes what you posted. Note that the med olive and white one in the pic below is EXACTLY what the one currently on ebay would have looked like new (I got a SPID close up from the seller and it is a highlander, and it has PA1 caps. It even has the same mirrors as the pic! It's a nice truck with a lot of options - at appears to be a Package B Highlander since it has no A/C but it does have tilt.

EDIT: note, forgot to post where I found this - Jim Carter Trucks has a very interesting article about it - lots of info. Not sure if correct (but everything appears to be - except the comment about woodgrain on other GM trucks' interiors - the Cheyenne had woodgrain door panels also, not just the Supers) - but I didn't realize that Highlanders had the black (not woodgrain) lower side moldings! http://www.oldchevytrucks.com/blog/i...72-highlander/
Attached Images

Old 03-24-2012, 01:15 PM   #10
jocko

Quote:
Originally Posted by litew8 View Post
Not the ad I was talking about, but I think it's the same Cheyenne model.

http://www.chevrolet.com/culture/article/iconicchevys/

Almost identical to my Custom Deluxe. The side marker lights are different on this.
I'll still go look for the other ad because I think it's cool.

----
But your question is - Could Full Wheel Covers (like the one shown on the Cheyenne above) be ordered on a Custom Deluxe? I'd think yes.
litew8, in further digging (as you see in the above posts), turns out this truck is a Custome Deluxe, but also a Special Promo (i.e. a Highlander) - so that's why you see the Monte Carlo caps posted - I didn't know it was Highlander option truck in the first post, so both hubcaps were wrong! Thanks for posting, your first pic above is a Cheyenne Super, the top of the line. There were 4 levels available (Custom, Custom Dlx, Chey, Chey Sup) - the Highlander was a late year option in 72 only that added 3 package levels to a Custom Deluxe. Thanks for all your diggin, I appreciate it!!
Old 03-24-2012, 01:34 PM   #11
litew8

You're very welcome jocko.
Edit: I see, you're saying the PA1's are Monte Carlo caps
I think although bland (like you say), they are pretty smooth/cool!

P.S. My Custom Deluxe has wood grain on the door panels.
For the PO1 [truck] caps, the chevy logo should be a blue color? And for vans, it was a yellow color?

Last edited by litew8; 03-24-2012 at 01:46 PM.
Old 03-24-2012, 01:48 PM   #12
Classic Bowties
Always on the hunt...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocko View Post
but I didn't realize that Highlanders had the black (not woodgrain) lower side moldings!
Jim Carter Trucks has it wrong and this topic is one that has been debated on and off here over the years, awhile back I happened to have four highlanders on hand at the same time to photo & proove that some did leave the factory with woodgrain lower trim (see below thread-post #14, #15, #16 & #17). Mel

Highlander wg trim thread link: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=357994

Last edited by Classic Bowties; 03-24-2012 at 01:50 PM. Reason: added link
Classic Bowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 02:16 PM   #13
jocko

yep, i agree (that the Jim Carter comment is incorrect) - the more I dig, and look, etc - I'm gonna take your word for it. In fact, I was JUST looking at the med olive highlander on ebay and it has the woodgrain lower edge molding.
Old 03-24-2012, 02:17 PM   #14
jocko

Quote:
Originally Posted by litew8 View Post
You're very welcome jocko.
Edit: I see, you're saying the PA1's are Monte Carlo caps
I think although bland (like you say), they are pretty smooth/cool!

P.S. My Custom Deluxe has wood grain on the door panels.
For the PO1 [truck] caps, the chevy logo should be a blue color? And for vans, it was a yellow color?

Colors denote year groups
67-68 should be red logo
69-72 should be blue logo
73+ should be yellow logo
Old 03-24-2012, 03:44 PM   #15
special-K
Special Order

Just to clear things up from the first post with some "general" info. The first picture shown is a "hubcap" and the second is a "wheel cover". All wheel covers are full wheel covers because they cover "wheels" and it don't git no fuller'n'at. Hubcaps cover the hub.

Back in '73 I bought a SWB '72 that had a plaid seat. I didn't know that wasn't just the average seat cover. I know some trucks said Cheyenne and mine didn't. I always wondered what the difference was. Mine seemed fancier than most I saw around. The first thing I did is take the wheel covers off and popped some '54 car hubcaps on until I got wider wheels and tires. I still ran those hubcaps. I figured for years the previous owner must have put those wheel covers on. I bought the '54 caps from a guy who sold hubcaps.He had a barn with hubcaps all over the side you could see going by. I think I just gave him those wheel covers that were perfect and just a year old. Of course,I probably gave him $20,if that,for that set of '54 caps

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 04:38 PM   #16
davepl

I'll pile on with some random trivia: the GMC Highlander trim runs rotated 90 degrees from the Chevrolet Highlander.
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 08:02 AM   #17
special-K
Special Order

Yeah,but it's not a GMC Highlander. The plaid seat was just an option on '72 GMCs,not part of a packaged discount option group like the Chevy Highlander. I believe the Highlander package used the plaid to get rid of all the plaid that didn't end up being used on GMCs.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote