The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-26-2012, 07:00 PM   #1
rustyrexiusrodz

buy a two wheel drive or convert one?

i have wanted a two wheel drive blazer for sometime now. i know where one is at, but i want a really low stance to the ground, i can't make up my mind if it's a good idea to c notch (hack up) a pefectly good (rare) 2wd or build a one from a 4x4. any thoughts?
Old 03-26-2012, 08:21 PM   #2
1972K20

Re: buy a two wheel drive or convert one?

I've never understood why people want to convert a 4wd to 2wd, but whatever. So, my thought is, go with the 2wd. Either way you're going to be chopping up a 1st generation Blazer. These things are getting harder to find regardless of 2wd or 4wd.
1972K20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 08:24 PM   #3
VA72C10
VA72C10

The reasons behind converting is 4wd are less expensive than 2wd and when lowering, they go a little lower in the rear than a 2wd can with less work/expense. Also, 2wd are very rare in comparison to a 4wd.

My future plan is to buy a rust free 4wd out west with or without an engine and convert to a 2wd roadster (no top ever)
Old 03-26-2012, 08:37 PM   #4
1972K20

It still makes no sense to me, but that's fine. If I want a 2wd convertible, I'll buy a Camaro. I would be more inclined to go the other way and make a 2wd into a 4wd.
1972K20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 10:03 PM   #5
BOHICA

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1972K20 View Post
I've never understood why people want to convert a 4wd to 2wd, but whatever. So, my thought is, go with the 2wd. Either way you're going to be chopping up a 1st generation Blazer. These things are getting harder to find regardless of 2wd or 4wd.
This. If everyone keeps converting the 4WDs to 2WD, pretty soon the 4WD will be even harder to come by. Personally, I never got the appeal of a 2WD Blazer. It's one thing to own a rare, factory 2WD, but otherwise you might as well just buy a convertible car. To me going with 2WD is like buying a V6 Mustang or Camaro - it defeats the purpose. Besides, 4WD parts are a lot rarer so it's a lot harder to fix a conversion back to 4WD than swap it over to 2WD.

Anyways, that's my two cents.
1987 Land Cruiser
1990 Chevy K3500 454
BOHICA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 10:10 PM   #6
VA72C10
VA72C10

I certainly understand that. My reasoning is my wife actually likes the look of the blazer and has always wanted a convertible. She HATES 4wd trucks...

I love all trucks really but especially 67-72 Chevy/GMC's and would rather have a blazer than a small car convertible....I'm not going trail riding in the thing...I won't be driving it in the snow or rain....

I enjoy the style the GM engineers/designers created and would rather drive a 67-72 generation vehicle than a modern convertible....plus, I can do it myself and save lots of $$$

I loved the way my 71 4x4 looked. She did too but wanted it about 2ft shorter...she never wanted to ride in it...

When I can afford a weekend vehicle it will be a 2wd blazer on airbags with seating for 5...and no top ever As mentioned...unless I find a KILLER deal on a true 2wd...I will convert a 4wd that's nearly rust free...

I seriously doubt a 4wd blazer will ever come close to as rare as a "TRUE" 2wd...sure...there have been lots of conversions done and many 4wd are rotted out from time on the trails or beach...but the numbers of 4wd built compared to 2wd is huge....

I get a happy wife and I get to drive our generation vehicle with my whole family inside....and it's a convertible....seems like a win win win to me

Try bringing a cooler for a picnic, folding chairs, toys for the kids, etc inside a camaro convertible

Last edited by VA72C10; 03-26-2012 at 10:17 PM.
VA72C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 10:14 PM   #7
BOHICA

So get a new wife. :P

I understand where you're coming from, too. I mean it's definitely a person's right to do with their vehicle as they see fit, it's just a huge pet peeve of mine to see a classic vehicle irreversibly altered.

I think it comes from being around hot rods for so long and seeing so many people cut up their cars to "be different" only to be the same, and now an unaltered vehicle is much harder to find than something that's been chopped and often butchered. That, and my mom was a museum curator.
1987 Land Cruiser
1990 Chevy K3500 454
BOHICA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 10:23 PM   #8
VA72C10
VA72C10

Oh, I really enjoy an untouched original (see my 72 patina build and many of the cool builds on this board) and I love 100% correct restos....but I also love custom trucks like superflysteiny, delmo, frizzle fry, and drewskiren build....and slammed/lightly modified originals like n2billet, way2lo2 and others build...(leaving many others out don't hate me )

I also love the 4wd versions of these trucks. All of them look awesome!

I saw 5150's full time blazer roadster and knew I'd have one some day. I almost converted the 71....you guys would have really hated me But waiting to find a cheap rust free (or almost) tub, cheap frame, and build one from there...
Old 03-26-2012, 10:47 PM   #9
YBNORML

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyrexiusrodz View Post
i have wanted a two wheel drive blazer for sometime now. i know where one is at, but i want a really low stance to the ground, i can't make up my mind if it's a good idea to c notch (hack up) a pefectly good (rare) 2wd or build a one from a 4x4. any thoughts?
Around here 4wd Blazers are 30-40% cheaper than 2wd's in comparable shape. So if it does not matter to you whether or not it is a conversion, then I would go the conversion route.

I was lucky enough to purchase a factory 2wd that my friend had previously imported from the States. I already had one project and didn't want another, or else I would've considered doing a conversion myself.

68’ GMC shortbox
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=794201

72' 2WD Blazer
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=425385

67' LongBox C-10
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=691845

InstaGram ybnorml67
YBNORML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 11:25 PM   #10
Livrat
Member #1049

I say do what ever pleases you!!..
I am one of "Those guys" that builds hots rod and I converted every 4X4 Blazer that I've owned, and have done several conversions for customers over the years (a total of 18 conversions). I also have 6 original 2WD's (2-70's) and always sell them because they always bring way more that I think they are worth.

In fact if your looking for a project I have two 2WD "converts" that I am pondering selling
Livrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 11:48 PM   #11
lt155ruck

[QUOTE=BOHICA;5277144]So get a new wife. :P

I say build what you want...and make your wife happy. My divorce cost me 10times what my factory 2wd did
Attached Images

lt155ruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 01:36 AM   #12
KevsClassics
TILT COLUMN GURU

[quote=lt155ruck;5277409]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOHICA View Post
So get a new wife. :P

I say build what you want...and make your wife happy. My divorce cost me 10times what my factory 2wd did

Nice looking Blazer.
Back to rustyrexiusrodz question. I say if you find a nice 4x4 for the right price convert it since you are going to change the suspension either way.

64 Impala SS Conv

72 Blazer 2wd

75 Jimmy 2wd

63 Belair wagon

02 Silverado ext cab. DD

RIP EL JAY

Last edited by KevsClassics; 03-27-2012 at 01:43 AM.
KevsClassics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 12:35 PM   #13
Firebirdjones

I like the looks of either 4x4 or 4x2. I personally don't have a use for the 4x2 version since we already have 2wd convertable cars (including a camaro Rusty, we get the kids and supplies in there fine with a little enginuity )

But in any event, we also need a 4x4 in the stable so that was part of the decision making for us to grab another 4x4 blazer.

Ultimately you'll have to do what ever makes sense for you too, but I'm of the "start with what you want" thinking process so converting one isn't my thing. If I wanted a 2wd blazer, I'd find one and buy it.

Eventually it seems selling these things always happens, and if you convert one you'll be kicking yourself when that day comes because they won't bring near the money you'll have sunk into it. The 2wd's seem to hold better value and to me that's what makes the decision for me, as I always look at things as a return investment for the long run. Even if you don't get your money back, you'll get more of it
Firebirdjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 01:14 PM   #14
Pop's C-10

Build what you want..tha purist will live..
Pop's C-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 04:26 PM   #15
rustyrexiusrodz

there seems to be alot of the guys on here that have c notch originall 2wd blazers does that hurt the value of the truck?
Old 03-27-2012, 06:32 PM   #16
mustardjimmy71
toys'r'us

why would you be concerened about resale value on something you want and are building for yourself. This is a realy hard hobby to make money at. Thats why its a hobby not a business. Set a goal with your project and write down the top 3-5 things you want in your ride.

daily driver/ weekend driver/ trailer queen
yop on/ convertible/ roadster
stock motor/ giddy up/ omg
lifted / stock/ lowered/ slammed

Then see what your budget will allow. Its probably going to be cheapest to buy a finnnished truck. Let someone else lose money
mustardjimmy71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 08:37 PM   #17
Firebirdjones

That's just me, I'm always thinking resale and/or end value when finished. Not that I have intentions of selling anything, but those possibilities always exist. These old cars are like 401k's for me, kind of like real estate, they aren't making them anymore, and as it gets harder to find the prices go up

I do all my own work from mechanicals to paint, so my end cost is much less than someone subbing out. But you are right, it's getting harder to come out ahead as restoration costs and materials go up, and good usable projects are drying up and therefore getting more expensive to start with.

That's why I agree with your suggestion,,,buy something done, pay the price tag and you get instant fun factor. Let the restorer take the loss of revenue because I guarantee you'll spend twice as much restoring one and doing it right than what they sell for done.
Old 03-27-2012, 08:41 PM   #18
Firebirdjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyrexiusrodz View Post
there seems to be alot of the guys on here that have c notch originall 2wd blazers does that hurt the value of the truck?
I wouldn't know for sure on blazers so much, but in the muscle car world things like that kill the value.

Seems all the rage is lowering cars/trucks. I never jumped into that bandwagon, just don't care for the look, but if it's really that popular with a 2wd blazer (as they all seem to be that way) then my thoughts are that cutting the frame probably won't affect the value much if any at all....
Old 03-27-2012, 11:36 PM   #19
rsavage

My belief is that original holds value over the long run. Fads like rat rods, slams, flat black, no sidewall tires with big disks will wane and new fads and popular ways to build will come into play. Maybe today people will pay 20,000 for a real well done converted 4WD to 2WD roadster, but I am not sure they will in the future. Your wants may change in the future and if you're like most people, you will sell what you have to get the next play vehicle. Your original question was whether you should cut up a 2wd frame or convert a 4X4. If it was a real 2WD that was good and if I were you, I wouldn't cut it. I'd drop it as far/safely as I could without a notch. That way it could be put back to stock without a devalue when low is no longer cool. I wouldn't put a lot of money in a conversion because I don't care for frames and configurations that don't match how the truck was originally built or its VIN, and I think that there are lots of other people who are squeamish about buying expensive rigs that aren't real. However, The bottom line is that it is your money and whatever anyone of us think really doesn't matter. Buy and do what you want and have fun with it.
2021 Durango RT 5.7

Last edited by rsavage; 03-28-2012 at 07:04 AM.
rsavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 11:24 AM   #20
Firebirdjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsavage View Post
My belief is that original holds value over the long run. Fads like rat rods, slams, flat black, no sidewall tires with big disks will wane and new fads and popular ways to build will come into play. Maybe today people will pay 20,000 for a real well done converted 4WD to 2WD roadster, but I am not sure they will in the future. Your wants may change in the future and if you're like most people, you will sell what you have to get the next play vehicle.

Yep, and something that never really went out of style is the pure stock stuff. Like you said, fads change, and it seems to be a viscious circle, but it always comes back to where it started.
That's why I'd be carefull what you modify. If you go to the point where things are very difficult to change back, it will also hurt the value when that fad isn't so popular anymore.

Stances, wheels and tires, drivetrains, can all be easily changed,,,,but when you start cutting up stuff,,,well....It's up to you. Just enjoy it and have fun with it.
Old 03-28-2012, 12:49 PM   #21
tubbedII
needs more $$$

Mine's an original 2wd and I c-notched it...shoot...it's even a real CST and I filled all the trim holes. I don't really care about the resale value...I'm just building the blazer I want to drive. One day I'd like to go even lower than the c-notch allows and wouldn't think twice about chopping her up to get it done...but that's just me.

I still think a chopped up real 2wd drive should bring in more $ than a converted 4x4...but maybe not much. IMO if you don't care about resale, you should find a clean 4x4 and convert it.
Old 03-28-2012, 04:25 PM   #22
SamMargritz00

between the 4x4 or 2wd....id go with the 4x4 conversion if it is a cheaper way to go. then c-notch that thing, it will look bad @$$ and turn some heads. thats the way i see it. there will be people that will hate on you, but just let them. There are a lot of chopped and lowered blazers ive seen and i love them all!! i left mine 4x4 but i filled in all the cst trim, side trime, basicly just made the inside and outside clean. Not really original anymore but i don't mind that, im not wanting to resale so ill make it the way i like it i guess haha.
SamMargritz00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 04:35 PM   #23
ColoradoK5

I'd rather see a 4x4 or a 2wd get cut up and used rather than crushed. So build what your heart desires and your wallet allows. and just have fun with whatever you decide to do.
ColoradoK5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 05:12 AM   #24
mustardjimmy71
toys'r'us

^ agreed
mustardjimmy71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 12:28 PM   #25
PHAT TONY

Money wise-convert a 4X4. However, don't under estimate how heavy and how much of a pain in the arse it is to remove/install the top on a Blazer vs hitting a button to lower the top on a (?). If you cut a c-notch out nicely, and keep the pieces, it could be reinstalled in the future.
1970 Chevrolet C/10-Sold
1968 GMC 4X4-Project
1968 Chevrolet C/10 Pro Street
1970 GMC 3/4 Ton-Parts
1997 2WD 2DR Yukon-Sweet
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=335664
PHAT TONY is offline   Reply With Quote