The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-28-2012, 07:54 PM   #1
azsnow

From HEI to Points

Before I get a hundred no don't do it replys, I must do this because the HEI doesn't clear the firewall and I am not getting any spark from it, so before I start tossing money in it to find out why, I just need to get the damn truck running already. I will change it to breakerless ignition once its running and I have the money to do so.

While buying the parts today, the guy told me a ballast is not required, yet I have always ran one. I bought the distributor/coil, ect for a 70 Camaro w/duel points...so the question is ballast...needed or not?
azsnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 08:03 PM   #2
msgross

Re: From HEI to Points

you could go with a standard distributer with an electronic ignition inside of it.

sounds like you are set on points though... they also make smaller HEI's...

sorry I can't answer your question but I wanted to throw two more options out there..
1969 C-10 LWB (SOLD) "Project flip that truck or else"
1993 Passport, F@rd 1-ton (SOLD)"Project Cousin Eddie"

My Garage Build "The 1,000 footer"
msgross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 08:08 PM   #3
azsnow

Yeah I know of the other options, and I appreciate your input, but my main issue at this point is money! I got everything I needed including a new distributor for $80. I have to get this truck going before my apartment complex tags it to be towed!
Old 03-28-2012, 08:18 PM   #4
Speedbumpauto

There ALWAYS needs to be a voltage drop for breaker point style systems in the "run" position. Earlier vehicles used a resistor and later ones used a resistance wire in the "on" position from the ignition switch to the coil +. If you have 12V to the coil + in the "on" position(which HEI wants) you need to reduce the voltage to around 9V in "run" and 12V in "start".(usaully a wire directly from the solenoid S terminal to coil +) There are a few aftermarket coils that will eleminate the need for a voltage drop by increasing their internal resistance in the primary circuit, but they almost always state that in their installation instructions. By the way, the Pertronix stand alone electronic distributor uses a cap the same diminsions as the old Chevy distributors. Saved my bacon on a tunnel ram/firewall problem once.
Speedbumpauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 08:21 PM   #5
booger1949

just get a coil with the built in resistor an youll b fine
booger1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 08:31 PM   #6
azsnow

Ok, so one problem after another...I just swapped out my NAPA ignition switch for an original V8 model, so now how do I wire it up as there is no "start" tab on the back like there was on the NAPA one...any ideas? Anyone want to finish this for me!
Old 03-28-2012, 08:40 PM   #7
Speedbumpauto

If you have an ohmmeter, you can hold the switch in the start position and find out which tab has continuity from your B+ terminal. That will be start to solenoid. Or with power hooked up, hold it in start and use a test light to see which terminal lights up. That will be start.
Speedbumpauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 09:08 PM   #8
48 GMC BURB

If it's not too late you could get a mallory unilite..I used then for years in vetts with tac drive distributors

Quote:
Originally Posted by azsnow View Post
Before I get a hundred no don't do it replys, I must do this because the HEI doesn't clear the firewall and I am not getting any spark from it, so before I start tossing money in it to find out why, I just need to get the damn truck running already. I will change it to breakerless ignition once its running and I have the money to do so.

While buying the parts today, the guy told me a ballast is not required, yet I have always ran one. I bought the distributor/coil, ect for a 70 Camaro w/duel points...so the question is ballast...needed or not?
48 Double Duty
04 SS Burb
01 Springer HD
48 GMC BURB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 07:39 AM   #9
Russell Ashley

If you have a correct switch for a V8 truck it should have a start tab. Wish I was closer, I'd be happy to give you a hand with it.
Russell Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 11:27 AM   #10
azsnow

Yeah I have the corrsect switch, but dont remember seeing a starter tab, there are 2 ignition tabs, acc tabs, and thats it...I will look later and perhaps post a pic.