The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-29-2012, 05:07 PM   #1
slam59

How motor looks now...

Well what started out as replacing all the freeze plugs and a full gasket kit on my 74 C10 350 small block 4 bolt main, turned into more. Once the motor was opened up on the stand, we found that whoever rebuilt this prior really did a half but job. Using different types of sealant to try and cover up leaks,different types of bolts,some he was able to loosen with just his hand. The crank shaft had to be replaced, it had severe movement forward and backwards, causing rubbing. And the harmonic balancer was no good either and they used some type of sleeve to try and get by with it due to it being worn out. Had to also replace the motor mounts, they were just hanging there. So my mechanic friend totally high pressure washed the engine inside and out as well as the engine compartment. There was so much sludge in the motor it was unreal.

And the auto parts place that sent the rebuilt crank shaft sent the wrong bearings so we are waiting on those later this evening to be delivered. Then he can start putting the motor back together. Thought I would show some pics of the motor cleaned up and painted and the chrome and aluminum polished so far. I like how the freeze plugs look against the black. When its all done and put in the truck I will take more pics and post them. What you all think? And by the way, those long bolts holding down the valve cover gaskets are being replaced with correct chrome bolts, that even have the chevy bow tie on them!

slam59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 05:24 PM   #2
Smoke_Dog

Re: How motor looks now...

Up grade the Torque Converter while U are in there!!! or go to that 700R!!! Looks nice!!
Smoke_Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 07:30 PM   #3
silvereagle07

Looks nice but are you keeping the old rusty manifolds? I think it's time for some headers. Just kidding, It looks really good nice work.

'84 GMC project truck
'85 Chevy 4X4 SOLD
'07 Chevy Trailblazer SS

5th Annual SHPHC Car/Truck Show Pics
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=543605 UPDATED PICS! CHECK 'EM OUT
silvereagle07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 07:49 PM   #4
bigsj

The motor looks sweet all you need now are some headers to set it off very nice job.
bigsj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 08:05 PM   #5
88Jimmy4x4

Dang looks great, I think you did a great job cleaning everything up. Keep the manifolds, but clean and spray them with the cast blast paint to restore them

heres mine
Attached Images

88Jimmy4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 08:39 PM   #6
motornut
78K & 79C Jimmys

[QUOTE=slam59;5282347]Well what started out as replacing all the freeze plugs and a full gasket kit on my 74 C10 350 small block 4 bolt main, turned into more. Once the motor was opened up on the stand, we found that whoever rebuilt this prior really did a half but job. Using different types of sealant to try and cover up leaks,different types of bolts,some he was able to loosen with just his hand. The crank shaft had to be replaced, it had severe movement forward and backwards, causing rubbing. And the harmonic balancer was no good either and they used some type of sleeve to try and get by with it due to it being worn out. Had to also replace the motor mounts, they were just hanging there. So my mechanic friend totally high pressure washed the engine inside and out as well as the engine compartment. There was so much sludge in the motor it was unreal.

And the auto parts place that sent the rebuilt crank shaft sent the wrong bearings so we are waiting on those later this evening to be delivered. Then he can start putting the motor back together. Thought I would show some pics of the motor cleaned up and painted and the chrome and aluminum polished so far. I like how the freeze plugs look against the black. When its all done and put in the truck I will take more pics and post them. What you all think? And by the way, those long bolts holding down the valve cover gaskets are being replaced with correct chrome bolts, that even have the chevy bow tie on them!

man that block looks great,engine bay too
i just wire brushed and spray bombed my manifolds
prob may redo them now i got a sandblast cabnet
Attached Images

motornut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 10:30 PM   #7
slam59

Thanks for the comments guys. Yeah, I am hoping to put some headers on it really soon, got my eye on some. What a big difference this has made visually. Man cant wait till it is done.
slam59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 11:03 PM   #8
Corts60
Just here to tinker

Well done man. You're a man after my own heart. Looks killer.
Corts60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 10:29 AM   #9
Tucson38

Wow! Looks to nice to hide under the hood.
Tucson38 is offline   Reply With Quote