The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-30-2012, 11:09 AM   #1
Phil750

need opinion

I have had my 86 pickup at this shop for paint, new instrument panel, and replacing some dash components. He is also replacing the vent windows to one piece. It’s been there two months. The only thing that has been done to the truck was some small amount of body work.
The place I took it to is going to have a reality show on Speed Network this fall.
My question is do you Owners think he’s dragging his feet. Or he is insuring the truck will be perfect when I get it back. I am getting frustrated, by the fact every time I go there to check progress he always has excuses for the length of time. I have paid him more than half to get started.
His Site is Bad Boys Design Peoria AZ.
I have seen the work that has come out of there especially Motorcycles and they are flawless.
Let me know what you think.
Phil750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 11:46 AM   #2
ChevyMutt

Re: need opinion

I've got family that own a body shop in MI. They've had several vehicles in magazines over the years, they are that good. It's been my experience that when you hire "the best" they will NEVER meet your deadlines, or even their own deadlines... they are the best because they take the time to do it right, which means timelines slip. Maybe he planned on having another project done so he could bump yours up to the priority slot, and that project got delayed...

IDK as I'm not there and I have no idea who these guys are, just thought I'd throw in my .02
Originally built by my Dad & Brother in late 90's early 00's. I bought the truck in summer of 11; dad & brother put new box sides on, and surprised me with a new paint job. Jan of 12 the float stuck in the carb and she burned... The truck is back in MI now and being re-built AGAIN by my Dad & Brother.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/gallery/...8633&protype=1
ChevyMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 12:12 PM   #3
Jeepwm69

I agree that the good guys take their time, but if he's had it for two months and you see little progress, it's because he has 1/2 your money and he's putting other smaller (quick in and out) projects in front of you and only working on your truck when he would otherwise be idle.

I have a buddy who has had this happen to him with two different mechanics on his Jeep. He went 5 years without a Jeep because these guys would work on his CJ for 15 min every week, and he was foolish enough to pay them a large chuck of cash up front.

I never pay for work done until it is complete. If you are ordering a bunch of parts, I could see them wanting some down to cover that if you bail on them, but paying up front for anything else is a HUGE red flag on the shop.
Jeepwm69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 12:59 PM   #4
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

I have a guy who Im doing business with as we speak. THe deal was he was taking my rusty trusty old truck and turning it into a show piece. Replacing the rotted rockers and cab corners, assorted rust repair in the bed ( wheel arches and the tailgate area and then he was painting the whole truck. In fairness Ive added on some items like replacing the bumpers and some other chrome etc and having the bottom of the dash painted. My original estimate was three weeks soup to nuts. He asked the truck be there the week before Thanksgiving 2011. We are now approaching easter.. I have insisted that this thing be completed. I show up every day and i am making a pain in the ass about it. In addition I have this fellow working on another project. ( i bought my bride a 66 mustang which needs minor body work and an interior. We came to a number on that and Ive told him that delays are going to start costing money... I would be very firm but gentle in any conversations you have with the shop youre using. Perhaps you should show up when the producers are there and then get a little voiceterous and see if that gets you anywhere... maybe even a bit in the show..
I would make sure hes not ahead on the work which was done so you always have the option of pulling your truck from him before he has you by the throat financially

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 02:11 PM   #5
Rich84

I have to say the whole concept of getting money upfront for a project is foreign to me. I own a commercial construction company and there is no such thing as money upfront. A professional business should be able to secure materials on credit and bill you when complete. Which is why I try to complete my projets as soon as possible. The greatest incentive is money..Just sayin
Rich84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 05:54 PM   #6
jhngardner367

I own/operate a small-engine repair business,and I also design/engineer power equipment.
There are times when I have to ask for funds,up front,but I ALWAYS give the customer a copy of the receipts,on their unit!
Further,if there is a cost over run,I pay it! This has kept me honest,and has actually added to my customer lists,and still allows a profit margin.
The premise is "First in,First out",unless there are shipping/availability issues,and my customers understand that if,for some reason,there is a hold up,I WILL notify them,but will continue work on another unit,until their issue is resolved.
In 12 years,I've only had 2 complaints(dealing with shipping,not time,or quality).
I'm willing to go the extra,because I take pride in my work!I may not get on TV,but at least I sleep nights!
I can't fix what ain't broke....you want I should break it?
jhngardner367 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 12:36 AM   #7
Phil750

Thanks everybody for there input. I did put money down but it was for parts that will upgrade the truck. I went down to talk to Moe the owner. He apologized for the slow repair. Come to find out he had to fix what I had already tried to do. He promised me it will be in paint by Monday and ready before the next Friday. He took me back to a part of the garage I did not know existed. He had beautiful trucks and cars that were perfection. He promised me my would be in the same category. Only time will tell. I will put some pictures on when finished. I'll have to have somebody tell me how to upload to tho site.
Once again Thanks for your input Phil The place doing the work is Bad Boy Designs in Peoria Az Check there web site out.
Posted via Mobile Device
Phil750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 12:45 AM   #8
my4by2

Agree with one of the earlier posts & learned it myself - if you give them too much money up front, your projects gonna hit the back burner for the "in & out" jobs.... If the shop's having to bill you for the work there doing - i.e. working to be paid - it'll move along at a better pace.

On the flip side though, the shops that do it "right" don't do it the fastest....
my4by2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 07:59 AM   #9
86 K-10

i worked at a paint and body shop for 3 years. restorations were always put behind the quick-money jobs, and you definitely dont want to give him money till you see the results, otherwise it's gonna sit there collecting DA dust until you come remind him that you actually need your truck back within the year.
86 K-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 12:46 PM   #10
jhngardner367

Yeah,those owner patches CAN slow things down.LOL
I have a sign in my shop:
Labor= $40hr
Labor if you help=$50hr
Labor if you repair it first=YOU DON'T WANNA KNOW!!

I once had a customer that needed a belt on his lawn tractor.Parts & labor=$40.
He thought that was too much,so he took it home,and changed all the pulleys,and belts,from another unit,and it failed so badly,it damaged the trans axle.
When he found out it would be $800 to repair it,he got red in the face,and quietly paid it.
I can't fix what ain't broke....you want I should break it?
jhngardner367 is offline   Reply With Quote