The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-31-2012, 06:44 PM   #1
noco-k5

Lift or stock replacement springs

I'm the new owner of a 1970 Blazer. I would like some opinions on what my best options are for improving the ride. I plan on keeping the Blazer relatively stock appearing, but would like to improve the ride quality and driveability. Should I just go with stock replacement springs, rubber bushings, etc or are the small 2 inch lifts from companies like Skyjacker and Tough Country and improvement. They all seem to be about the same price. I also want to level the Blazer as it sags a little in the back. Thanks for any feedback

noco-k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 07:46 PM   #2
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Re: Lift or stock replacement springs

Welcome from NorCal, and congrats on your new Blazer!

Other things (like tires & shocks) will also affect the ride & handling. What kind of tires (load range etc) and shocks are on it now? Are the springs shot, or just the bushings?

If the springs are okay, I'd probably just keep them. Tires should not be heavier than load range C on a Blazer. Lots of opinions on shocks out there too..... I have heard good stuff about Monroe SensaTracs.

What about the steering box and all the front end components -- everything in good shape?

If you decide to replace the springs with aftermarket, I've had 2.5" Skyjacker Softrides on the front of my K20 for quite a few years and have been impressed with their quality. You can get kits with lift blocks for the rear, or with new springs all around. (I didn't replace my rear springs.)

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 08:35 PM   #3
noco-k5

Thanks for the response. It has some off brand 32 X11.50 tires on it. I'll replace them eventually with something approximately the same size, but they have pretty good tread. I plan on going through everything. It definitely needs things like body bushings etc. May try bushings and new shocks first. Right now it rides like a "freight train tumbling down a mine shaft" as a good friend of mine would say.
Old 03-31-2012, 09:20 PM   #4
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Just don't spend a bunch on really good shocks if you might end up lifting it later....

Nice looking Blazer btw... is it as straight as it looks in that pic?

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 10:22 PM   #5
noco-k5

It's pretty straight. Needs a new grill and front bumper as the previous owner got in a fender bender. There is very little rust the floors and inner fenders are completely solid. A little rust in the rockers, but other than that it's good. I bought it from a young man who inherited it from his great uncle so it was in one family for it's entire history. Supposedly has 87000 original miles it runs great just leaks oil from sitting for so long and needs a little tlc and to be driven.
Old 04-23-2012, 10:14 AM   #6
DustinU

Nice Blazer.

If your springs are ok and you want to level it, you may want to consider just putting 2" lift springs in the rear to level it out. I have 4" Superlift springs front and back.... still squats about 2-2.5" in the rear. I installed Rancho 9000 shocks and RS5000 steering stabilizer, still adjusting the shocks to my liking, but am getting close and I like the ride improvement.... there not cheap though.
If you look at my build thread, the before pics have 4" super lift front springs and a 4" block (plus stock spring height) making it level. I am considering dropping the front down to 2" lift springs to level it out.
DustinU is offline   Reply With Quote