The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-01-2012, 07:57 PM   #1
Lugnutt

What's the latest on the woodgrain door panels?

I'm in the market to replace my 72 Cheyenne woodgrain door panel inserts. I remember reading past forums about the original manufacturer loosing the stamp moulds around 2006 and not to use LMC's inserts because of poor fit. Has anything changed? I notice that Brothers has these woodgrains for sale and another vendor in Kentucky offers them too. Does everybody now get there door inserts from the same manufacturer as LMC or is there another factory out there making better ones?

Does anybody out there know the story and know where to buy the best quality woodgrains these days. I would be real helpful to know before I buy.

Thanks,

Gary
Lugnutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 09:57 PM   #2
Two45s

Re: What's the latest on the woodgrain door panels?

That's a very good question, but I do not have the answer. If all else fails, make some using real wood by glueing strips and using biscuits.....also seal both sides to prevent mositure getting in the wood, thus preventing cracks. You could also make a real wood panel for your instrument / guage cluster. It's an option unless you want to use OEM parts.
Two45s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 10:19 PM   #3
Lugnutt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two45s View Post
That's a very good question, but I do not have the answer. If all else fails, make some using real wood by glueing strips and using biscuits.....also seal both sides to prevent mositure getting in the wood, thus preventing cracks. You could also make a real wood panel for your instrument / guage cluster. It's an option unless you want to use OEM parts.
I'd like to keep it as OEM as possible. I found a place that sells the woodgrain vinyl sheets that you can stretch over the curves with a heat gun, but the materials are about $125 and I don't know how hard it is to work with. I would rather buy OEM re-productions from a vendor as long as they are not poor quality or don't fit well, that's why I'm inquiring about them.

Thanks for the suggestion
Old 04-01-2012, 10:42 PM   #4
jocko

Lugnutt, I've watched the for sale/wtb's on here religiously - and at one time was looking for black woodgrain door panels. It only took about a week to find the ones I wanted - someone will sell some, will cost you more than $125, but having nice originals is worth it. Are you looking for them in a specific color (i.e. the whole door panel, I mean)? If an oddball, that makes it a bit harder to find. But I was very surprised with how many came available in such a short time on ths site. I nabbed some black woodies and am very happy with them.

In fact - you might want to consider advertising in that section as a "wtb" yada yada details, etc
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 08:33 AM   #5
special-K
Special Order

It's extremely rare to find used woodgrain inserts that are good enough to use on a restoration. They get scratched and scuffed from normal use,not to mention faded. I don't know of anyone making reproductions. Does LMC? I never look at their stuff. I know they make door panels that "mimmick" OEM,but are in no way a reproduction because they don't even use or accept the stainless trim. I'd be interested to know of suitable reproductions. I'm fortunate to still have one pair of N.O.S. and it's a curse. Keep them stashed and there get worth more and more. Install them and they're nice used parts.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 10:05 PM   #6
Lugnutt

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocko View Post
Lugnutt, I've watched the for sale/wtb's on here religiously - and at one time was looking for black woodgrain door panels. It only took about a week to find the ones I wanted - someone will sell some, will cost you more than $125, but having nice originals is worth it. Are you looking for them in a specific color (i.e. the whole door panel, I mean)? If an oddball, that makes it a bit harder to find. But I was very surprised with how many came available in such a short time on ths site. I nabbed some black woodies and am very happy with them.

In fact - you might want to consider advertising in that section as a "wtb" yada yada details, etc
Yea, I've got the original brown plastic panels already and I've got my driver's side aluminum woodgrain insert that is in good shape. My driver's side woodgrain is scratched and needs to be replaced. I was hoping someone could tell me if they ordered inserts from Brothers and said if they were good or bad. I guess I could list a WTB for the one insert if I can't get a response to my question about what's available from Brothers and other vendors.

Thanks for the feed-back guys,

Gary
Old 04-04-2012, 05:59 AM   #7
special-K
Special Order

TTT because this is a good question

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
Old 04-04-2012, 06:47 AM   #8
sameyrasmea72

The Cheyenne super Man's rebuilt original ones are the best one's I can think of.
Attached Images

Old 04-04-2012, 11:28 AM   #9
Curt's_72

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameyrasmea72 View Post
The Cheyenne super Man's rebuilt original ones are the best one's I can think of.
Wow..Just awsome...Great quality.

Lugnutt, I know you've seen what I did. After reading this thread, I thought I'd share with others what I did to mine. For all the concours restoration folks, look away.

The inserts do show up for sale. I was able to find a set reasonable, that weren't dented. The woodgrain was worn off as we expect.

I had some woodgrain vinyl from a tailgate band resto. I put it on the the flat and trimmed out the embossed area.

I knew I'd never get the curves to lay, so I used brown Rustoleum in a rattle can. I thought it turned out well.

Is it correct? No way. But it was effective, and I'm pleased with it.

Name:  P1030713.jpg
Views: 1073
Size:  42.1 KB

Name:  P1030715.jpg
Views: 1073
Size:  53.0 KB

Name:  P1030716.jpg
Views: 1081
Size:  53.3 KB

Name:  P1030717.jpg
Views: 1074
Size:  55.7 KB

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=494493
Curt's_72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 12:37 PM   #10
va72longhorn

I started a thread awhile back about wrapping mine in the houndstooth to match the seats. ( http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=511010 )which Im still considering. VA72C10 is making up some panels for me with inserts that he's either redid or were nice to start with. Im still going to wrap a pair to have on hand for an occasional change. The stainless trim will still work on them. Keep your eye out on here. Ive seen some nice sets come out of these campers that are being parted.
va72longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 01:41 PM   #11
Lugnutt

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameyrasmea72 View Post
Sam, you da man!

Even though Curt managed to to do a great DIY job restoring his woodgrains, and Longhorn had a nice job done in upholstry, for me it's worth a few bucks to have someone restore mine back to the way I remember it from the factory. I talked to the Cheyenne Superman himself and I feel good about how he restores these panels. He also confirmed the story I heard that the tooling to make new ones was lost years ago and any other re-productions (like LMC's) are plastic, not aluminum and don't fit well.

Thanks Curt, Longhorn, Sam and others for your advice
Old 04-04-2012, 08:52 PM   #12
Classic Bowties
Always on the hunt...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lugnutt View Post
I talked to the Cheyenne Superman himself and I feel good about how he restores these panels.
They will stay looking nice like sameyrasmea72's panels as long as they are stored away in the closet... Gary has quite the sales plug . Mel
Classic Bowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 09:21 PM   #13
Lugnutt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic Bowties View Post
They will stay looking nice like sameyrasmea72's panels as long as they are stored away in the closet... Gary has quite the sales plug . Mel
Hmmm... what exactly will happen if I take them out of the closet?

And, if there's a better option, I'm all ears. One way or another, I need to come up with the best solution possible before I can complete my interior.

Thanks
Old 04-04-2012, 10:31 PM   #14
otsenre

Quote:
I'd like to keep it as OEM as possible. I found a place that sells the woodgrain vinyl sheets that you can stretch over the curves with a heat gun, but the materials are about $125 and I don't know how hard it is to work with. I would rather buy OEM re-productions from a vendor as long as they are not poor quality or don't fit well, that's why I'm inquiring about them.

Thanks for the suggestion
I just bought some woodgrain vinyl on ebay. Its teakwood, 3ft x 15 inches for 3.86 a ft. I wonder about the quality, since you said your materials would run you 125.00
otsenre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 12:09 AM   #15
Lugnutt

Quote:
Originally Posted by otsenre View Post
I just bought some woodgrain vinyl on ebay. Its teakwood, 3ft x 15 inches for 3.86 a ft. I wonder about the quality, since you said your materials would run you 125.00
The material needs to be able to be heat-stretched over the irregular surface of the aluminum panel insert. I searched the internet and found this to be the closest to what I would need to do if I were to try to re-laminate the woodgrain myself. This is the website:

http://www.customautotrim.com/vinyl/...rain_vinyl.htm

Do you know if you can heat-stretch the vinyl you got on ebay? I would be nice if there was a cheaper woodgrain product that would work.

Thanks for the input
Old 04-05-2012, 07:38 PM   #16
otsenre

Quote:
The material needs to be able to be heat-stretched over the irregular surface of the aluminum panel insert. I searched the internet and found this to be the closest to what I would need to do if I were to try to re-laminate the woodgrain myself. This is the website:

http://www.customautotrim.com/vinyl/...rain_vinyl.htm

Do you know if you can heat-stretch the vinyl you got on ebay? I would be nice if there was a cheaper woodgrain product that would work.

Thanks for the input
that seems like a PIA, I am goiny to try woodgrain faux paint on mine before I do the vinyl. I will do one this weekend, stay tuned for before and after pics
Old 04-05-2012, 08:32 PM   #17
Lugnutt

Quote:
that seems like a PIA, I am goiny to try woodgrain faux paint on mine before I do the vinyl. I will do one this weekend, stay tuned for before and after pics
Boy, talk about PIA! LOL, you must be more artistic than most. Let me know how it turns out.
Old 04-05-2012, 08:45 PM   #18
Zoomin
Man of Mini-Talents

Quote:
I've had mine out of the closet for a year now. I don't see any problems, but i don't leave my truck parked outside either. Regardless, they are better than aftermarket.
Zoomin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 11:01 PM   #19
Lugnutt

[QUOTE=Zoomin;5296477]I've had mine out of the closet for a year now. I don't see any problems, but i don't leave my truck parked outside either. Regardless, they are better than aftermarket.[/QUOTE

That's good to know, thanks Zoom
Old 04-05-2012, 11:13 PM   #20
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

Is there any way to use the "water transfer" process to recreate the woodgrain on the aluminum piece?
(then use automotive clear to protect it)

Example:
http://www.coopergear.com/Site/WoodGrain.html

Convert to disc brakes.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823
lolife99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 01:19 AM   #21
Lugnutt

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolife99 View Post
Is there any way to use the "water transfer" process to recreate the woodgrain on the aluminum piece?
(then use automotive clear to protect it)

Example:
http://www.coopergear.com/Site/WoodGrain.html
The stuff looks pretty good. I wonder if anybody has ever had their panels done by this process? I might just call them and see if they have any gallery photos of 72 door panels. What I like is the clear finish over the top.

Thanks for the idea, I'll let you know what I learn.
Old 04-06-2012, 08:44 AM   #22
special-K
Special Order

I met a guy who specializes in grain painting car interior pieces. It looks outrageous!! Not OEM,but better than that for a resto-mod. I have several panels I want to have done,whenever I get around to it. I have one odd one we talked about me giving him to use for a display.

I like the job Curt's 72 did. I think it would look fantastic with satin black painted to the outside of the bead to the edge.

Tim

Old 04-06-2012, 08:50 AM   #23
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Sam, you da man!

Even though Curt managed to to do a great DIY job restoring his woodgrains, and Longhorn had a nice job done in upholstry, for me it's worth a few bucks to have someone restore mine back to the way I remember it from the factory. I talked to the Cheyenne Superman himself and I feel good about how he restores these panels. He also confirmed the story I heard that the tooling to make new ones was lost years ago and any other re-productions (like LMC's) are plastic, not aluminum and don't fit well.

Thanks Curt, Longhorn, Sam and others for your advice
LOL! His name is Jason. His user name is "Same-Year-As-Mine-72 I'm not making fun of you,I just got a kick out of that.
Quote:
I know (from personal experience) what Mel is saying. You can't exactly take everything Gary says as the Godspell,I'm afraid to say. He does some great things,but he's a business man and don't forget it.

I hate to brag,but here's them little old things I stumbled on at a yard sale for $5 (just kidding)

Tim

Last edited by special-K; 04-06-2012 at 08:56 AM.
Old 04-06-2012, 01:06 PM   #24
sameyrasmea72

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
I hate to brag,but here's them little old things I stumbled on at a yard sale for $5 (just kidding)
I found some of them too, but I had to add a couple 0's to the $5.
Attached Images

Old 04-06-2012, 07:14 PM   #25
otsenre

Quote:
Here are mine, before,after a little straightenting, and in primer. Will get my base coat on later, and then the first glaze coat tommorrow. Stay tuned
Attached Images