The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-03-2012, 03:34 PM   #1
dthela

Mag wheel problem HELP!!!!

My truck came with aftermarket aluminum wheels and tires. Went to put center caps on and noticed that the lugnuts were typical beveled style but the wheels use a shank style lugnut. I measured the thickness of the wheel, and searched on line for the lugs. ALL the lugs had shanks of .68 diameter. I ordered the lugs and when they arrived I found out the holes in the wheels are .62 ! No one sells .62 lugs, So the question is how to increase the diameter of the lug holes in the wheel. (If i cut the lugnuts down they will rust in the wheel). Thought about using a "hand held" adjustable reamer, but worry about getting the holes on center. It would be cost prohibitive to send them to a machine shop to have 24 holes done (even if they could figure out how to hold the wheels. Any input?????????
dthela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 04:28 PM   #2
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Re: Mag wheel problem HELP!!!!

Did you happen to measure the diameter of the lug holes on the backside of the face where it contacts the mounting surface? If the wheels were previously being held in place with tapered or conical lug nuts, it may have compressed the front entrance of the lug hole to a smaller diameter. If this is the case, it may be possible to open them up from the rear with a ream or brake cylinder hone without affecting the concentricity, by only opening up the front half of the hole.
Old 04-03-2012, 06:38 PM   #3
dthela

of course, but thanks
Old 04-03-2012, 07:39 PM   #4
71swb4x4

Here you go: http://www.gorilla-auto.com/lug-nuts-page-11
Old 04-03-2012, 08:23 PM   #5
dthela

I went to their site and searched!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Why do they call them Appliance lugs???????? Spent 3 hours searching for these dammm lug nuts! where were you 3 days ago!!!!!!!!!!!! lmao the site you linked me to was different than the site i linked to from google. THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-03-2012, 08:27 PM   #6
dthela

it's all fun till someone gets hurt, then it's hilarious!
Old 04-03-2012, 11:41 PM   #7
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Appliance was a brand of wheels years ago. Apparently that is the brand of wheels you have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dthela View Post
I went to their site and searched!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Why do they call them Appliance lugs???????? Spent 3 hours searching for these dammm lug nuts! where were you 3 days ago!!!!!!!!!!!! lmao the site you linked me to was different than the site i linked to from google. THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote