The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-04-2012, 11:29 PM   #1
cjohnson6772

A message: to those who restore tilt columns---and to those who are considering it

To those who restore tilt columns:

I have a new found respect for you and your work. I just finished disassembling a tilt column I purchased on here and I can honestly say that I never realized how much work you guys put in.

To those who are considering restoring a tilt column:

Make sure you are ready. There are a LOT of pieces. And several of the pieces take a significant amount of head scratching and some special tools (or ingenuity) to overcome. The restoration may be worth it if you're wanting to learn about the columns just to say you did it, but otherwise I say leave it to the professionals and pay the extra to have a board member restore the column. The money really is worth it from my experience and the guys on the board do grade A work.

YMMV
cjohnson6772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 12:19 AM   #2
KevsClassics
TILT COLUMN GURU

Re: A message: to those who restore tilt columns---and to those who are considering i

Thank You very much. I must of scared you with my quote.
Yes there is lot of time and patience to do a column right. And I really don't make much for my time after paying for parts and materials. Just trying to help others out.

64 Impala SS Conv

72 Blazer 2wd

75 Jimmy 2wd

63 Belair wagon

02 Silverado ext cab. DD

RIP EL JAY
KevsClassics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 12:25 AM   #3
cjohnson6772

Re: A message: to those who restore tilt columns---and to those who are considering i

Nah, you didn't scare me with your quote. I just found a column in good shape that just needed to be resprayed with some blue paint. Didn't realize how much was involved with stripping one for paint. When I tore it apart there needs to be some sanding/finessing done to the internals, but should turn out nice. I thought your quote was fair, but I know that the only way to get it done is time and/or money. I don't have much of either, but I have more time than money
cjohnson6772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 08:03 AM   #4
68C15
blood type; Retumbo

try building a custom one. when I did my 68 I took one from a 91 suburban, shortened the top 3", lengthened the bottom 4", made it a key delete, swapped in a small lower housing to fit the dash, and am considering changing it over to telescope from some Caddy parts I have.
Man rule #77...if you own a 67 stepside with a caddy 472 you will never be in danger of loosing you man card
68C15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 01:00 PM   #5
Dano69c10

I hate to admit it; Years ago, I took apart a non-tilt column to rebuild, got discouraged and to this day it still sits dissassembled in my garage.

It ain't yours, if you didn't build it!
Dano69c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 09:18 AM   #6
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevsClassics View Post
Yes there is lot of time and patience to do a column right. And I really don't make much for my time after paying for parts and materials. Just trying to help others out.
Don't believe a word he says. He makes plenty of money. What he does is he sends them to a far away country where he has a sweat shop using child labor. [(I'd post a laughing face icon here except I haven't figured out if that was funny,yet ) Kev,I hope you did. You're alright,I don't care what Rene said ] Keep up the good work!!

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 10:18 AM   #7
KevsClassics
TILT COLUMN GURU

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
Don't believe a word he says. He makes plenty of money. What he does is he sends them to a far away country where he has a sweat shop using child labor. [(I'd post a laughing face icon here except I haven't figured out if that was funny,yet ) Kev,I hope you did. You're alright,I don't care what Rene said ] Keep up the good work!!
Tim, You sold me out! you just can't keep a secret. Don't listen to to Rene he bull ****s to much.

64 Impala SS Conv

72 Blazer 2wd

75 Jimmy 2wd

63 Belair wagon

02 Silverado ext cab. DD

RIP EL JAY
KevsClassics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 12:39 PM   #8
C/10 King

But, but, but.
1971 Short Fleet
1970 Jimmy Custom 2 WD "Golden Ticket"
1972 Blazer 2 WD "Retro Blaze"
C/10 King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 09:20 AM   #9
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Tim, You sold me out! you just can't keep a secret. Don't listen to to Rene he bull ****s to much.
I'm sorry,I guess I made you sound worse than than you are. I should have mentioned you give them free cigarettes,beer,and a baloney sandwich...after their 12 hour day of work!!

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 01:01 AM   #10
Ryan Hubbard

Quote:
Best thing I ever did was send my column to Kevin. I have a machine shop and built my whole truck myself but I sent my column to Kevin because it was a far better deal.
Ryan Hubbard is offline   Reply With Quote