The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-08-2012, 11:57 PM   #1
cfan10

Cool Safe frame welded by steering gearbox

JaWas wondering if having a frame welded by the steering gearbox is safe, it was bead welded not the best work I've seen by far. No plates the weled cracks together, has anyone ever heard of this before? If is is possible to break again along welded areas.
Paid close to $700 for this @larue in houston. In hindsight the frame should have been cut out, and uncracked frame welded in. Any advice is appreciated.

Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by cfan10; 04-09-2012 at 12:03 AM.
cfan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 01:07 AM   #2
INSIDIOUS '86

Re: Safe frame welded by steering gearbox

If the crack was drilled in the ends to stop further cracking. But you can buy steering box reinforcement brackets to weld in. If they did a bad job welding take it back and tell them to do it again or do what my friend did if you can. Go in and teach them how to weld haha
Posted via Mobile Device
377 sbc thumpr cam autogear m23 muncie 3:73 Detroit trutrac
3''spintech prostreet mufflers xpipe 1 3/4 headers
build thread !http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=577217
Iroc gauge threadhttp://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=554511
INSIDIOUS '86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 02:13 AM   #3
jhngardner367

I don't know about other state's laws,but in Michigan,if the frame needs repair,it MUST be inspected by the state,before it can be plated,or sold.
My cousin bought a truck from a private seller,and the frame had been repaired badly.It handled oddly,so he took it to a frame shop.The "repair"had started to crack,again,so he called the PO,and was pretty much told "it's your problem".
The State department of Licensing/Regulation didn't think so,and ordered the PO to pay for repairs,OR buy the truck back+ expenses,or lose any licenses held.
They ended up paying for a new frame being installed.
I can't fix what ain't broke....you want I should break it?
jhngardner367 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 02:32 AM   #4
cfan10

Won't be taking it back, not after calling them lying, cheating, .but the work looks to me, it was done in '09 bought the truck in oct 08 like that without knowing, first mechanic brought it to my attention. Should've sued po for damages and larue for hack work!!!
And they didn't drill anything...maybe, it'd be easier to cut that section off a good junkyard frame and weld that in...I'll take a look in the morn...I really detest mechanics!!!!
Thanks.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-09-2012, 02:37 AM   #5
cfan10

Won't be taking it back, not after calling them lying, cheating,but the work looks pretty to me, it was done in '09 bought the truck in oct 08 like that without knowing, first mechanic brought it to my attention. Should've sued po for damages and larue for hack work!!!
And they didn't drill anything...maybe, it'd be easier to cut that section off a good junkyard frame and weld that in...I'll take a look in the morn...I really detest mechanics!!!!
Thanks.
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-09-2012, 06:40 AM   #6
andrewmp6

To be honest with you i only meet 3 mechanics i trust,I seen a lot do dumb things because they didn't know better or didn't care.I would look in to your state laws see what can be done about it for you.
andrewmp6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 07:49 AM   #7
jjzepplin

This is a notorious weak spot in the older Chevy's. There are numerous strengthening brackets and plates that can be bolted in or welded in. I have seen a lot of frames cracked in the bolt pattern for the steering box. I always weld a plate in and have not had a problem.
jjzepplin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 08:46 AM   #8
Dalaigh
Canadian Trucker

this kit is sold by off road design, and its a good kit

I would clean up the old attempted repair, re-weld it them get this kit and weld it on, that will make that area better then when it was new.

2020 Silverado Trail Boss - 6.2/10spd
Dalaigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 10:23 AM   #9
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Locate a competent welder that can redo the job. It can be cleaned up and rewelded correctly. They can box it themselves or add one of the many boxing plate kits available on the market. Check with Captfab in our Vendor Marketplace. I believe he sells a kit.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 12:20 PM   #10
trout

i fixed min with out that kit (wasnt out wen i did it) just time steel and welder

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=341993
Old 04-09-2012, 03:23 PM   #11
cfan10

Ok, inspected frame and found out one of the cracks along the inner side of the frame, was not welded there just on the outer side in the back of the steering gearbox.
Also, found a J shaped crack around the motor crossover that connects to the frame (not sure what its called) right by control arms and under motor oil pan.
Anyway, its cracked around the first bolt to frame.
thanks for the advice.

I'm going to look into suing this guy for proper repair cost.
This really blows! Avoid Larue automotive in Houston, Tx.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-09-2012, 09:39 PM   #12
jjzepplin

Sorry for your luck. That kit that Dalaigh shows is the one I use and my truck takes some good abuse. Good luck.
jjzepplin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 10:47 PM   #13
Liz
Catchy title goes here..

Quote:
Originally Posted by trout View Post
i fixed min with out that kit (wasnt out wen i did it) just time steel and welder

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=341993

SO you are admitting in this thread, that you are a banned member, back under a different account?? After having several issues under this name with the staff?? Are you serious?? wow... and I'll wait for your reply before going further with this.
Liz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 10:54 PM   #14
Liz
Catchy title goes here..

Quote:
Originally Posted by slinginrods View Post
Can't stand ppl who sue cuz they didn't take the time to check the car/truck before they buy it.in my state if you bought a used car as is it's yours.if your too dumb to check it out or have it checked by a trustworthy mechanic ,we then too bad.just buy a kit to fix the frame and leave the guy alone.this is why we pay so much for insurance now everybody tryin to get "paid" for there mistakes or bad fortune.
Posted via Mobile Device
tangent much?

Quote:
Originally Posted by slinginrods View Post
Same guy who wants us to teach him how to replace a trans in another thread.come on if your gonna mess with these trucks then at least get a basic know how on auto repair.these things are pretty simple.but you can really screw one up if you dive in with out knowing what "firing order or torque converter" means.
Posted via Mobile Device
troll much?

My advice, back off or change the tune. Thanks in advance!!
Old 04-09-2012, 11:29 PM   #15
jhngardner367

Hey,I learned my lesson,Liz! I didn't even get upset when cfan10 said he detests mechanics(Wheeled/tracked vehicle repair,US army ,'76-'81),civilian mechanic '81-2000.Small engine repair Owner/operator,2000-present.LOL! I know what he meant...that some mechanics ARE dishonest/inept.That is the exact reason my state cracks down on these things,as well as the Consumer Protection Agency(hint,hint).Go after them!!
Old 04-09-2012, 11:43 PM   #16
slinginrods

Just stating an opinion .I have offered good advice here.don't know what trolling is.I don't go looking for trouble ,Check my posts or replies.it just seemed like he was trying to start a thread about bashing the guy who worked on his truck,there are numerous threads on how to safely fix the frames around the steering box,many of us searched the forum for info on this and we took good advice.sorry if I hurt anybodies feelings.it is a forum what's a tangent ?ok for him to bash all mechanics?I guess I should have just told him to do a search.
Posted via Mobile Device
slinginrods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 01:11 AM   #17
Liz
Catchy title goes here..

No, you could answer or not answer.. I understand what you mean, please try to understand what we do. Folks reported the post, we tended to it. One thing.. your saying to tell someone to use search.. not cool at all. We never ever refer folks to search. It goes against everything the site was founded on. You never know whom will have a new or different idea or way of doing something. That person may answer the 72nd time the question was asked.. Besides, I could had simply answered use google to look up trolling but I would not do that.

Lets take it as a misunderstanding of the way it was meant to the way it read.
Old 04-10-2012, 01:13 AM   #18
Liz
Catchy title goes here..

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhngardner367 View Post
Hey,I learned my lesson,Liz! I didn't even get upset when cfan10 said he detests mechanics(Wheeled/tracked vehicle repair,US army ,'76-'81),civilian mechanic '81-2000.Small engine repair Owner/operator,2000-present.LOL! I know what he meant...that some mechanics ARE dishonest/inept.That is the exact reason my state cracks down on these things,as well as the Consumer Protection Agency(hint,hint).Go after them!!
Josh is a tech by trade as well. If he took offense to every bad advice reply or bash at the trade, we would have a whole lot less members and posts.. It goes with the territory. I guess what I am saying is ya'll try to use the report a post feature more thats what others do, and why we have to step in on the trolling thing so often.

Thanks
Old 04-10-2012, 01:27 AM   #19
cory d

the previous owner of mine just welded them up then welded a 1/8" plate over it. my dads old work truck (79 gmc c25 CC) has been rode hard an put away wet from 79-mid 90's and the power steering never cracked the frame. its been beat to hell and back but the only broken things on it are the a sway bar mount and the heater fan lever
cory d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 08:00 AM   #20
cfan10

@slinginrods do me a HUGE favor, when you see my name STAY OFF MY THREADS!

And, I know I fouled up buying the truck, HINT AND A HALF for you that's why I paid to have it fixed.
As anyone with a hawked amount of common sense, would know when you pay your hard earned money you expect quality work.
This is a forum, a place to share info. I am a novice, like everyone else was once in their lives.
And I'm not a guy, I'm a girl.

Everyone who does honest, quality work excuse my remark about mechanics. I was only venting.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-10-2012, 12:00 PM   #21
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

cfan10 feel free to come on here and vent, express your opinion, or just hang out and chat. Thats what this forum is about. We don't tolerate trashin, bashin, or just plain old being rude and slinginrods just learned that...we hope.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 09:56 PM   #22
jhngardner367

I'm glad a female is into these trucks,as well,cfan10! Too many think it's a guy thing. And, I admit, I didn't give it a thought,either(Note red face,cuz my wife is lhao).
I'm not the least offended, if someone says they don't like/care for mechanics,(I feel the same about hospitals)cuz I,ve been on both sides of a repair bill.Most people don't realize the mark-up on parts from a dealer,until they do repairs themselves.
My main point to my hint, is that they should not get away with things like this,since it's a safety issue.
Old 04-10-2012, 10:08 PM   #23
esbstuff

I would personally weld it, grind it flat and plate it. We done lots and lots here with no issues.

If you do find one unbroke, we always used large flat washers on the inside and never had them break.

BTW please remember that the frame is the same on a 4x2 so they are prone to crack also. I have had 2 of them that were. On one, the box came completely out, much to the suprise of the owner. Of course the 32 inch tires that he had run on the truck forever had something to do with it...
esbstuff is offline   Reply With Quote